Who's proud of our new Police Force?
Westonian

Weston, WV

#68 Jun 11, 2013
steph wrote:
I think it would benefit alot more people if they were court ordered into rehab instead of jail. Honestly when they get out 9 times out of 10 they go back to their old lives. Jails don't offer much on teaching them how to fix their problems or how to deal with life without drugs. And the "little fish" who are left sick really need the help. Withdrawal can be a major cause of suicide in teens & young adults. Wouldn't our tax dollars be best spent on something that can help the ones who have a problem for the long term? Jail is just a band-aid that covers the wound for only a little while. And what about the ones who don't get arrested, shouldn't their families have more options for getting them help before it is too late? The only close thing we have is Sharpe. We need facilities that are affordable & actually focus on the disease itself. Most rehabs in WV are over crowded. I know a person who went to one in WV that was so overcrowded they couldn't get the help they truely needed. Not to mention that with the lack of funds to have enough workers the drugs going around the rehab were far worse than what the person was even sent to rehab for. The "big fish" deserve to spend time for corrupting our children. But as a mother I would want to get my child help long before the law got involved. And if you research the facilities around here, there are alot of them that do not work with the families who can not afford to send their child there. Other states have had alot of success with having more rehabs & places in general that people can go to for help, comfort, knowledge, & even places that offer safe places to use until the person can get into rehab, those places alone have helped many people keep from contracting diseases.
interresting..., where would this money to send these people to rehab come from? Would it be then $55 a day which is currently what it takes to keep an inmate for one full day in the Lewis Co jail? It's not that I don't somewhat see your point, it's just that it's very easy to say that, but then there's a lot of behind the scenes articles that are big issues. I don't think they should treat them better than our law abiding public. Also, This is just me thinking but if somebody off the streets really wanted rehab and they did not have the money, then what would keep them from wanting to be arrested so they could get it?
Ed Beal

Bluefield, WV

#69 Jun 11, 2013
Westonian wrote:
<quoted text> interresting..., where would this money to send these people to rehab come from? Would it be then $55 a day which is currently what it takes to keep an inmate for one full day in the Lewis Co jail? It's not that I don't somewhat see your point, it's just that it's very easy to say that, but then there's a lot of behind the scenes articles that are big issues. I don't think they should treat them better than our law abiding public. Also, This is just me thinking but if somebody off the streets really wanted rehab and they did not have the money, then what would keep them from wanting to be arrested so they could get it?
Drug addiction is a common brain disorder that is extremely costly to the individual and to society. Genetics contributes significantly to vulnerability to this disorder, but identification of susceptibility genes has been slow. Recent genome-wide linkage and association studies have implicated several regions and genes in addiction to various substances, including alcohol and, more recently, tobacco. Current efforts aim not only to replicate these findings in independent samples but also to determine the functional mechanisms of these genes and variants.
People

Fairmont, WV

#70 Jun 11, 2013
Marijuana is a crime a's a drug but personal use is more like alcoholic long a's he doesn't have a still. Some need to consider gissy is helping many even getting small guys. How would u moms like your 7 year be staying at his best friends house when uncle shows up all messed up on pills. He helping innocent family or it may just be that one time on pills when his car hits your mom dad and takes their life then he has to live with murder cause u thought he should been giving a break and not got disciplined in first place.
Ed Beal

Bluefield, WV

#71 Jun 11, 2013
You can always make a case for the exception...

Like statistics say more Mexicans are on welfare than gainfully employed... But then you say, "well Miguel works in the oilfield & makes $70k a year"

yes, there is always exceptions, but overall statistics is treatment programs work better than prison.

Putting addicts in prison, creates unemployable felons & the circle of welfare recipients continues....
add up the daily incarceration amount, add in the food stamps, welfare, & medical card they will qualify for... & compare that to the cost of a long term treatment program....($8k I think) or an outpatient program that can cost $90 week & the person can work..

The probability of the person becoming gainfully employed & a productive member after treatment is astonishingly higher than a person with a drug felony.....
yeppers

Weston, WV

#72 Jun 11, 2013
Excuses excuses excuses. I have an idea. How about people take responsibility for their lives and for their misdeeds too instead of blaming everything on everyone. It has gotten ridicules.
Westonian

United States

#73 Jun 12, 2013
Addiction being linked to jeans. I do hear what you're saying. I do think that possibly some people have a personality that matches them more than average to medicating themselves. I was told once that is somebody smokes cigarettes consistently they already have an addictive personality. I find it very hard to believe that a person's genes make them smart start smoking or make them start using pills that are meant for prescription use only. Do their genes also make them a criminal? They're consciously doing that by choice as well when they start taking that sort of medication for recreational use. Back in later times when they caught someone ruining peoples lives in anyway there was a possibility of that person being hanged If convicted at a trial. With that thought in the back of a drug dealers mind wouldn't you think that they would think twice about dealing. Although this is sort of a harsh analogy however, it's so true. Crime rates were astonishingly lower in those days because they knew there would be dire consequences. I am a firm believer that some people are going to be idiots no matter what laws are in place and no matter what the consequences are. For the vast majority however I think stiffer consequences would stop a lot of it. I do have a heart and I do think that the people that were caught selling drugs should get some sort of help, I just think that the money that would be spent trying to help these people could be spent in a little better way for our law abiding citizens, That's all. For example a man and his family are hit head-on by someone using Meth. His two children lay in a hospital for a month and finally die From complications. His wife was a stay-at-home mom taking care of those two children she was treated and sent home after two weeks. The father and also the driver is fine also except for the fact that he can never use his right arm again. He was a welder making $75 an hour on pipelines. His line of work is no longer something he can do. He cannot make his payments off of the disability that he had to wait six months to get approved. Who is responsible for this. Should we rehabilitate that person that hit him head-on and concentrate on efforts to get him better? All the while the poor sucker that lost his two kids and can't work his job any longer can't even file a civil suit because the man that hit him had no insurance and no money. Hey maybe that guy can be rehabilitated, become a welder and take his job. Rehabilitation might be beneficial in some instances, However the majority of time I'm not feelin' it.
Really

Ardsley, NY

#74 Jun 12, 2013
Addiction doesn't make them a criminal, the laws make them criminals..But the fact remains, tax payers will pay more in prison, then welfare than treatment program

& over 90% of prescription abuse started out legitimately.. An injury & prescription by dr kick starts the genes...

We can set here & say "I think it's this or that", but listen to experts.. People who spend their lives dedicated to the study & research this exact subject..

I don't have the answers & neither do you, or we wouldn't be speaking in hypotheticals & we would be in a position to make changes...

That's why we should defer to the EXPERTS....
Westonian

United States

#75 Jun 12, 2013
Really wrote:
Addiction doesn't make them a criminal, the laws make them criminals..But the fact remains, tax payers will pay more in prison, then welfare than treatment program
& over 90% of prescription abuse started out legitimately.. An injury & prescription by dr kick starts the genes...
We can set here & say "I think it's this or that", but listen to experts.. People who spend their lives dedicated to the study & research this exact subject..
I don't have the answers & neither do you, or we wouldn't be speaking in hypotheticals & we would be in a position to make changes...
That's why we should defer to the EXPERTS....
I can't help but think the "experts" have put us in the exact situation we are in. If you would like your tax dollars to go toward rehab instead of jail time that's ok. What about all the other criminals that are in there for different offenses? How many of them have committed the crimes they inflicted because of the drugs they were taking? I do see your point when it comes to prescribed medications or maybe I should "over prescribed" Opioids. Recently medical boards are making Doctors get a full day of CE requirements to learn appropriate prescribing. They are working also with the West Virginia Board of Pharmacy as well, so there is a sense of checks and balances to keep everyone accountable. In a way doctors are going to be forced very soon to be much more responsible for legally prescribed medications. However when it comes to Heroin, recreational cocaine, Methamphetamine, Bath Salts and so on, we are talking about a different venue all together. In part I feel you are correct but still not seeing the whole picture. The best thing for now our law enforcement can do is to get them off the streets immediately if they are dealing any illegal drugs.
funny

United States

#76 Jun 12, 2013
I don't know why everyone is saying the reason people use drugs is genetics and addiction is a disease and all this bs why can't you all just say doing drugs is a choice!! Because that's what it is!! I mean yeah i understand that some people may need help, I've had family memberrs do jail tume and guess what they came out and didn't go back to drugs they got jobs and supported their families so going to jail isnt that bad its better than going to a clinc getting put on another drug to take place of the drug u buy off the streets. Which in turn puts more drugs on the streets. Jail is the best rehab!!
Anonymous

Yanai, Japan

#77 Jun 12, 2013
Westonian wrote:
Addiction being linked to jeans. I do hear what you're saying. I do think that possibly some people have a personality that matches them more than average to medicating themselves. I was told once that is somebody smokes cigarettes consistently they already have an addictive personality. I find it very hard to believe that a person's genes make them smart start smoking or make them start using pills that are meant for prescription use only. Do their genes also make them a criminal? They're consciously doing that by choice as well when they start taking that sort of medication for recreational use. Back in later times when they caught someone ruining peoples lives in anyway there was a possibility of that person being hanged If convicted at a trial. With that thought in the back of a drug dealers mind wouldn't you think that they would think twice about dealing. Although this is sort of a harsh analogy however, it's so true. Crime rates were astonishingly lower in those days because they knew there would be dire consequences. I am a firm believer that some people are going to be idiots no matter what laws are in place and no matter what the consequences are. For the vast majority however I think stiffer consequences would stop a lot of it. I do have a heart and I do think that the people that were caught selling drugs should get some sort of help, I just think that the money that would be spent trying to help these people could be spent in a little better way for our law abiding citizens, That's all. For example a man and his family are hit head-on by someone using Meth. His two children lay in a hospital for a month and finally die From complications. His wife was a stay-at-home mom taking care of those two children she was treated and sent home after two weeks. The father and also the driver is fine also except for the fact that he can never use his right arm again. He was a welder making $75 an hour on pipelines. His line of work is no longer something he can do. He cannot make his payments off of the disability that he had to wait six months to get approved. Who is responsible for this. Should we rehabilitate that person that hit him head-on and concentrate on efforts to get him better? All the while the poor sucker that lost his two kids and can't work his job any longer can't even file a civil suit because the man that hit him had no insurance and no money. Hey maybe that guy can be rehabilitated, become a welder and take his job. Rehabilitation might be beneficial in some instances, However the majority of time I'm not feelin' it.
What's with the big, long wall of text? Either have basic courtesies to others or GTFO.
1 post removed
Westonian

United States

#79 Jun 12, 2013
funny wrote:
I don't know why everyone is saying the reason people use drugs is genetics and addiction is a disease and all this bs why can't you all just say doing drugs is a choice!! Because that's what it is!! I mean yeah i understand that some people may need help, I've had family memberrs do jail tume and guess what they came out and didn't go back to drugs they got jobs and supported their families so going to jail isnt that bad its better than going to a clinc getting put on another drug to take place of the drug u buy off the streets. Which in turn puts more drugs on the streets. Jail is the best rehab!!
gotta say I agree.
Really

Ardsley, NY

#80 Jun 12, 2013
Jail is not even close to an effective form of rehab.. & by experts I mean, addiction specialists... People who study addiction... & according to the experts opiates are not effective in long term pain management.. & will actually make the pain worse...but convincing primary care dr of that, in the pill fix everything fast society....

Why is it that USA has almost 10% school age children diagnosed with ADHD/ADD & places like France has .05%.....

& should we deny cancer treatments to a person on medical card, because they smoked? They chose to smoke... Nobody forced them?
they are draining resources because of their bad choices.... Or an alcoholic who, after years of drinking, now needs kidney dialyses...
funny

United States

#81 Jun 12, 2013
Well if jail don't fix an addict then nothing will and the U.S. has more kids with ADHD/ADD because doctors often misdiagnose patients and more because the young adults having kids these days get their children on the medicine for ADHD because kids can't be kids anymore if they don't take naps or sit around being lazy all day young parents can't handle a kids that runs all day. And as for heroin users they go to the doc and get a script of synthetic heroin what does that solve?? It pushes more drugs on the streets?! And yes people should suffer from the bad choices they have made?
Westonian

United States

#82 Jun 12, 2013
Really wrote:
Jail is not even close to an effective form of rehab.. & by experts I mean, addiction specialists... People who study addiction... & according to the experts opiates are not effective in long term pain management.. & will actually make the pain worse...but convincing primary care dr of that, in the pill fix everything fast society....
Why is it that USA has almost 10% school age children diagnosed with ADHD/ADD & places like France has .05%.....
& should we deny cancer treatments to a person on medical card, because they smoked? They chose to smoke... Nobody forced them?
they are draining resources because of their bad choices.... Or an alcoholic who, after years of drinking, now needs kidney dialyses...
Dr. love actually makes a lot of sense on this one. I am actually an adult with ADHD. I was never diagnosed with it as a child because my mother took the time to correct me when I needed it. I was never on medication for it. Later I was diagnosed with it after going through a post-doctorate program. I flourished in the program doing very well and am still successful today. I do agree that doctors way overmedicate nowadays. I know people that go to the doctor and get 120 pain pills at a time. What in the hell is that solving? That definitely is creating an addict. Pain medication is extremely beneficial in trauma cases but long-term use of such meds for chronic pain is ridiculous. Let's jump into this a little further, Shall we? Drug reps take doctors on nice trips take them golfing and take them to fancy dinners just so they will use their product and prescribe it a lot. Drug reps are usually very articulate individuals that are also very good looking. The big drug companies hire these people intentionally so that doctors will prescribe their medications. So let's get real here, most of the problem of prescription drugs in this entire country is because of big business. Selling drugs are these company's forte. They will sell as many of these drugs as they possibly can. Where the problem lies is within the medical boards that have allowed this. I think they know that they are at a point now that something has to be done. Does anybody else feel like these big drug companies should be fined?
dodo

Weston, WV

#83 Jun 12, 2013
Just legalize drugs. People who have no insurance and are in pain can't afford the tests necessary for the doctors to prescribe them pain medication . Thus forcing people to live a miserable life i n pain 24/7 or buy medication on the black market for outrageous prices. If they choose the latter now they have to worry about rip offs, cops and going to jail. Just for wanting to feel average, like everyone else. Unless you've had chronic severe pain don't judge. People should be free to put whatever they want into their bodies
Westonian

United States

#84 Jun 12, 2013
At one time every drug out there was legal. Did you know that? There are reasons they made them illlegal. For instance bath salts became illlegal because people were hurling themselves off bridges and trying to cannibalize other humans. In one case a baby was eaten By another human. Although prescription medications are legal for the people they are prescribed to, they are still a human fabricated drug. They are so toxic it is recommend to not flush them down a commode because of the environmental hazards. Chronic pain could be managed a lot more successfully than it is now. I think that many governments are now looking at marijuana medical use because of this. Personally I feel like that is a much smarter choice than putting human manufactured chemicals into your body. There is already many states that agree with my statements. However in no way is it legal in WV.
comeon

Weston, WV

#85 Jun 12, 2013
Drugs are not bad. To much of anything can cause you harm. Its taken us 50 years to over come reefer madness. In the 80's there was a war against steroids. With misinformation and propaganda spread around that it gave you cancer and would ruin your body. We're finally overcoming that and realizes HGH and TRT are amazing drugs that can help you live a longer healthier and pain free life. Do you know president Eisenhower had doctors administer cocaine in his nose when he had sinus colds so he could give speeches?Dugs are life enhancers if used correctly. All the good drugs are illegal but in the words of Katt Williams if you take 20 tylenol that'll be your last effn headache. Unless you've lived it or done some serious research on drugs and their effects, shut up, you sound ignorant
Really

Chesapeake, OH

#86 Jun 12, 2013
Narcotic meds for chronic long term pain management, will actually make it worse...as a doctor, I don't even take an aspirin for my daily back aches & sciatica from walking on hospital floors. I wouldn't even think about it...

& the thing about dr who do get hooked, the only course of treatment is abstinence only treatment.. While methadone & suboxone might be ok for some. Doctors cannot be in any altered state while attending....

& I do agree 100% with the medical use of cannabinoids as beneficial to patients, especially radiation & chemo patients.. Eating or drinking is better..

smoking anything is bad....
Really

Chesapeake, OH

#87 Jun 12, 2013
Download & listen to the Dr Drew show & the Adam & Dr Drew show podcasts... Dr Drew is an addiction specialist & are great shows.. The latter are the better of the 2... I hate the CNN show he does as does he, but the podcasts are great... & if you email him, he usually responds with great insight..

He also sees patients on a regular basis.. With all the shows & tv work, is commendable.... Not like the great Dr Phil..
drugs are bad

Clarksburg, WV

#88 Jun 12, 2013
They need to get rid of these welfare rats who get a medical card to supply their saboxone and methadone only to turn around and sell it ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Laurel Academy to open doors in Terra Alta 8 hr Overseer 1
Woman in SWJH Commercial 11 hr Country girl 17 3
Dennis smith druggie 13 hr Oilfieldgod 1
Bryan Rankin 18 hr Curious 1
Mercedes White / gardener 18 hr curious1 5
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 19 hr The monster 4,243
Bill Gardner Thu Dlballin 1

Kingwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingwood Mortgages