Does anyone remember Dr. Earl Gaston?

Does anyone remember Dr. Earl Gaston?

Posted in the Kingsville Forum

webb

Brodhead, KY

#1 Feb 24, 2009
He was my doctor when I was a kid. I live in Kentucky now but we were sitting around talking about Kingsville from the "good ole days". I always thought he was hilarious.

“Go back the way you came”

Since: Oct 08

Metropolis

#2 Feb 25, 2009
I remember Dr Gaston. He retired around 1987 and if I'm not mistaken a Dr Hemmert took over his practice.
webb

Doniphan, MO

#4 Feb 27, 2009
I used to go see him back in the late 60's and early 70's. I also went to Pan Am High School (one of the few gringos....LOL) and Dr. Gaston was a big supporter of the school. My mom remember Mrs. Gaston always wore decorative hats and drove a standard pickup truck.
Lawdy

San Antonio, TX

#5 Mar 25, 2009
Oh I remember Dr. Gaston! What a great family doctor he was! Trouble was, he went to my church and so I couldn't exactly fib and say I was too sick to go to Sunday School...he always had the goods on me.

Actually, he was the "adult doctor" after I was too old to go to the pediatrician - Dr. Dunn. Does anyone remember the injection nurse at the Kingsville Clinic? She was awesome - gave us everything from pennicillin to polio vaccines to tetanus shots. And Mrs. Chestnut was the receptionist there too. Oh!!! And the pharmacist that was in the building connected to the clinic - between Dr. Bob Cooper's office (the dentist) and the clinic !!! I thought he was about seven feet tall behind that counter - only much later did I realize that the floor was raised behind the counter so he just looked really tall. He used to give us "Saf-T-Pops" suckers in our bag with the medicine. Good times.

They don't make doctors like Dr. Gaston any more. He even made a house call twice to my mom when she was really sick - super nice guy.
Crow

Gatesville, TX

#6 Sep 13, 2009
I knew Dr Earl and Mattie (His Wife) two of the most outstanding people you would have ever met. Dr Earl did many wonderful things in Kingsville, and yes, one of the old school housecall doctors. Not just a doctor, but one of the ones that did everything like deliver babies ect. Mattie his wife always wore hats, she was best friends with my Grandmother (Ellen Douglas Sims) they all went to the Presb. Church in Kingsville and were some of the funniest folks. Mattie was known for her Cheese Straws, and for all her gracious cooking, I would go to her home and even at age 93 i saw her pull all the drawers out in her kitchens so she could climb up them to get to the top shelf in her cabinet to get a bowl!! she was a hoot, and when she could no longer drive, she would just head out the door of her home and start walking ot HEB to get the groceries to cook another dish for a friend. They broke the mold on those folks!! Many wonderful memories.
webb

East Bernstadt, KY

#7 Apr 11, 2010
Great to hear the nice things said about Dr. and Mrs. Gaston. I usually stay away from public posts because they are usually trashy. This thread has truly made me smile.
webb

East Bernstadt, KY

#8 Apr 11, 2010
I remember Dr. Gaston used to let me choose a toy ring from a box when he got done examining me when I was a kid. I thought those rings were worth thousands of dollars and he was foolish for just giving them away. Only later did realize they were just toys.
barbara

United States

#10 May 21, 2010
Dr Gaston and my father Dr Boyd were partners both at the clinic and farming. Mattie Gaston was one of the nicest people you will ever meet and boy could she cook. Fortunately, she shared her recipes with my mother.
Mdw

United States

#11 Jun 25, 2011
Dagjgmpw
amazing

Haverhill, MA

#12 Jun 27, 2011
Is the only word I can describe dr gaston and mrs gaston with. We lived next door to them down ragland street when I was in jr high and high school. Dr gaston had already lost his sight when I met him but mrs gaston was still going! Mrs gaston was in her 90's I believe. She would invite me and my little sister over to bake all the time! She made the best homemade sugar cookies! She had sooooo many cookie cutters also. And yes, she always had a hat on! Dr gaston passed away, can't remember what year but she moved away I believe with her daughter. Not sure if she is still alive but id love to see her now! I pass by the neighborhood we lived in quite often and I always look at her house and remember the fun we had! She was such a nice and loving person! Anyone who knew her or dr gaston knows how heartwarming their presence was.
Mr Average

New York, NY

#13 Jun 28, 2011
Gaston? Isn't that the big hunter dude from the Disney cartoon Beauty and the Beast?
Catherine

Birmingham, AL

#14 Jul 12, 2011
I am Earl and Mattie's granddaughter and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your posts. I just wanted to give you an update that Mattie is still alive and just celebrated her 105th birthday. She is still doing well and loving life. BTW- I remember getting rings out of my grandfather's ring box too and I also thought they were treasures.
Wesley Callaway

Round Rock, TX

#15 Dec 28, 2012
Yes, he was real good friends with my grandparents. His wife Mattie died this week, she was 106!
Wesley callaway

Round Rock, TX

#16 Dec 28, 2012
Crow wrote:
I knew Dr Earl and Mattie (His Wife) two of the most outstanding people you would have ever met. Dr Earl did many wonderful things in Kingsville, and yes, one of the old school housecall doctors. Not just a doctor, but one of the ones that did everything like deliver babies ect. Mattie his wife always wore hats, she was best friends with my Grandmother (Ellen Douglas Sims) they all went to the Presb. Church in Kingsville and were some of the funniest folks. Mattie was known for her Cheese Straws, and for all her gracious cooking, I would go to her home and even at age 93 i saw her pull all the drawers out in her kitchens so she could climb up them to get to the top shelf in her cabinet to get a bowl!! she was a hoot, and when she could no longer drive, she would just head out the door of her home and start walking ot HEB to get the groceries to cook another dish for a friend. They broke the mold on those folks!! Many wonderful memories.

Mattie died this week at age 106!
Mary Margaret Jenkins

Savannah, GA

#17 Dec 29, 2012
I grew up on Ragland Street two houses down fron the Gaston's. The last time I saw Mattie was 1996 and she was still cooking and studying herbs and naturopathic medicine. She hosted a bridal shower for me in 1970 and I was very honored. She was amazing!!!
Ann Murphey

Houston, TX

#18 Jan 14, 2013
My husband John (Sonny) was Aunt Mattie's nephew.I have so many stories about Mattie I would love to share but I do not know where to begin or where to end.I often thought someone should interview Mattie and then her family. It would be wonderful read, but now that she is gone her family may have to carry this out! It would be a great legacy to honor her in this way.
Mattie was a great influence on our three sons. They thought Mattie could do anything!We would go down during hunting season and when they turned in Mattie was in the kitchen cooking and at the early hour of 5:30 AM they would get up she would be there making sweet rolls for them. They alway thought she stayed up all night to cook and that when she did sleep she slept with her hat on.I do not think Mattie attended one family gathering with out her cheese straws, weddings funerals family reunions etc!I have her recipe and I never could make them like her. The person that came closet was Hon, my mother in law and9325 she is gone too....Our 4 grand daughters loved Mattie too. I am so glad they are at the age that they will remember her as she is the only relative still living when they came along. Our olest son and wife named thier younger daughter Mattie after her There will only be ONE MATTIE and I am so glad I was part of her loving family!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Splash Pad at Flores Park 22 min Chaka khan 16
Anniversary 3 hr We know 3
school board election 5 hr 99 Alumni 25
Krystin G and Rudy L 9 hr See yall 1
Tired of pleasing myself 22 hr Just do it 2
gabriel villarreal Tue true 5
julie cortez Apr 17 Pito 43

Kingsville Jobs

Personal Finance

Kingsville Mortgages