KISD Failing TAKS Scores result in an...

KISD Failing TAKS Scores result in an Unacceptable Academic district/schools

Posted in the Kingsville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
old timer

Corpus Christi, TX

#1 Aug 14, 2011
How sad that KISD has four unacceptable schools: H.M.K.High School, Memorial Middle School, Harvey and Harrel Elementary Schools! These TAKS scores means that the students are not learning. Who needs to be held accountable: The KISD School Board? Superintendent Emilio Castro; HMKHS principal Mr. Barton; Memorial MS. Principal Joe Mireles; Harvey Elementary School Principal Dawn Mireles; and Harrel Elementary School Principal Leo Ramos.
What are the school board members doing about the Kingsville Independent School District: Corando Garza, president, Joe Trevino,Romeo Reyes, Juan Garza, Larry Garza, Melissa Windham, and Annabelle Garza. We don't want to be another Premont.
What can be done to get out of this embarassing KISD problem where the students are not learning and the high paying supt. and principals are not earning their pay.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 14, 2011
I blame the teachers!

Location hidden

#3 Aug 14, 2011
I'm just a typical parent. I work all day, and I send my children to public school. They call it a free education, but it's not. I'm always being asked to shell out money for lunches, field trips, you name it. It also takes a good amount of effort to get them out the door on time for the bus each morning. So forgive me, but I just can't understand why my kids don't know sh!t!

Location hidden

#4 Aug 14, 2011
Kids these days don't know how to cook, behave in public, clean a wound, take care of their pets, or tie their shoes. They lack motivation and discipline. As soon as they get home they turn on the children's cable TV channels and watch until they get tired enough to go to bed. Just once I'd like to see my kids doing something worthwhile!

Location hidden

#5 Aug 14, 2011
Another thing is that my kids aren't very well behaved. Don't schools still teach moral lessons on things like not lying and not hurting animals? If they are then it's not working! My kids lie right to my goddamn face. They throw rocks at chipmunks. And any time I turn my back they either break something or hurt themselves. Why don't they teach them to keep their hands to themselves?

Location hidden

#6 Aug 14, 2011
To me, the clearest sign of our failing schools is how my kids sometimes act up. It's obvious to me that they're not getting enough attention from their teachers. They just love to piss me off by climbing all over the furniture and smudging up the walls. Don't they get enough of that all day at school? I wonder!

Location hidden

#7 Aug 14, 2011
On top of it all, these teachers still try to pass their jobs off on us parents. They send home sign off sheets for homework and stuff. They guilt us into joining PTA groups, then shut us down when we tell them how to do their jobs. But if you back off and become less involved they'll accuse you of being bad parents. They seem to think we're the only ones to blame for the failures of our children. It just goes to show how out of touch they are.
old timer

Corpus Christi, TX

#8 Aug 14, 2011
seems to me the the parent should be the primary teacher to their kids, everything you above starts at home
lol

Dallas, TX

#9 Aug 14, 2011
Mama Rachel wrote:
Another thing is that my kids aren't very well behaved. Don't schools still teach moral lessons on things like not lying and not hurting animals? If they are then it's not working! My kids lie right to my goddamn face. They throw rocks at chipmunks. And any time I turn my back they either break something or hurt themselves. Why don't they teach them to keep their hands to themselves?
Lady that's ur job as a parent to teach them that from the time they started walking. It's funny how parents want to blame what they lacked as parents to do. Cause all these parents that say these things about the teacher and etc.. These parents are the ones whose kids run the house hold and the parent lets them do whatever the child wants to do. the parents seldom check if the kid attends school. They want for the teacher to call them. If you don't get a progress report or a repot card call and find out what's going on Parent.
KISD2011

United States

#10 Aug 14, 2011
Considering Harvey Elementary was left with having to split between two schools due to the new school not available until half of the year might say something...how can you control 600 kids divided between two schools and then have them for only the second semester together? Blame the school board for that one. Also, let's look at the new staff that Harvey was left with...most of the teachers there are new and not veterans like all of the other schools have. It was a rough year there with all of the changes and the little time that was provided. I say leave the job to the educators and criticize all you want but EVERYONE was involved..don't bring principals and school board members into it...remember who spends most of the time with the kids. Let's see what happens this year nobody is perfect. If you feel the education is not enough for your children then take them somewhere else...or better yet why don't you teach them yourself maybe you can do better?
old timer

Corpus Christi, TX

#11 Aug 14, 2011
KISD2011 wrote:
Considering Harvey Elementary was left with having to split between two schools due to the new school not available until half of the year might say something...how can you control 600 kids divided between two schools and then have them for only the second semester together? Blame the school board for that one. Also, let's look at the new staff that Harvey was left with...most of the teachers there are new and not veterans like all of the other schools have. It was a rough year there with all of the changes and the little time that was provided. I say leave the job to the educators and criticize all you want but EVERYONE was involved..don't bring principals and school board members into it...remember who spends most of the time with the kids. Let's see what happens this year nobody is perfect. If you feel the education is not enough for your children then take them somewhere else...or better yet why don't you teach them yourself maybe you can do better?
Well seems like the school district knew this was coming about and should have been ready for it, The principal and staff should have been ready to react to the new situations.
As long as people defend their messes nothing will improve, and people will not be held accountable.
Anonymous

Lolita, TX

#12 Aug 14, 2011
For the parents who complain about their children's bad behavior:
It's your job to raise your children the way you want them behave. When the teacher has to take time out of teaching to discipline your child because of the lack of discipline at home, it's no wonder we end up with the scores and ratings that we do. Let the teachers focus on educating.
KISD2011

United States

#13 Aug 14, 2011
I do not see how it would have been an easy task to adapt to such situations. It is not the decision of the principal or the staff for that matter to make any decisions of that caliber. Surely, you don't think that it was Mrs. Mireles' decision to stress her staff and herself out by doing things this way? Every job has its ups and down and the only thing to make this situation any better is to learn from the mistakes that were made from the prior year. The idea is to keep a positive head on our shoulders and strive for better this coming school year.
old timer

Corpus Christi, TX

#14 Aug 15, 2011
KISD2011 wrote:
I do not see how it would have been an easy task to adapt to such situations. It is not the decision of the principal or the staff for that matter to make any decisions of that caliber. Surely, you don't think that it was Mrs. Mireles' decision to stress her staff and herself out by doing things this way? Every job has its ups and down and the only thing to make this situation any better is to learn from the mistakes that were made from the prior year. The idea is to keep a positive head on our shoulders and strive for better this coming school year.
I see that you are a teacher at that perticular school and seem to care for the well being of it, and lets say that it did have problems this year, but I was indicating the KISD as a whole, Did't the district just come out of probation and then we went back in again.
I seem to remember a statement that the superintendent made when he came stating that he was going to make this the best school district in the NATION, WHAT A JOKE.
I guess we have to pay people good money for not doing their job??
KISD2011

United States

#15 Aug 15, 2011
Well I'm going to tell you straight off the bat that I am NOT a teacher nor am I an employee for KISD. I simply have knowledge of the situation and see that it is unfair to judge ones work when one is not involved. What the superintendent says is not controlled by any employee affilitated with KISD. Again, mistakes are made and nobody is perfect. Oh, and good money? You better do your research on salaries throughout KISD before you use that line. You would be amazed.
mee

United States

#16 Aug 15, 2011
the school system has been messed up for over 20 years we have the highest drop out and kick out rate in south texas and that will never change, its the teachers and the kids and the parents faults this is happening...Just face it every generation in kingsville is getting worse and worse cuz kids are the ones having kids and don't are to young to teach their kids anything cause they learned nothing themselves before they got knocked up
Wrong

San Diego, CA

#17 Aug 15, 2011
Mama Rachel wrote:
On top of it all, these teachers still try to pass their jobs off on us parents. They send home sign off sheets for homework and stuff. They guilt us into joining PTA groups, then shut us down when we tell them how to do their jobs. But if you back off and become less involved they'll accuse you of being bad parents. They seem to think we're the only ones to blame for the failures of our children. It just goes to show how out of touch they are.
It looks to me that you have the problem. I am a single working mom and I stay very involved with my daughter's school.(HM King). I don't feel guilted into joining the PTA, it is part of being a parent. As far as your kids behavior...you should teach them to behave at home. Everything is not up to the teachers. Yes, the schools do have some faults, but it is up to us as parents to make sure that if our children need help with school work that they get it. They offer free tutoring, there has always been soemone to help with my children. I have had 3 graduate from the school district and my last one has 2 years left. I am proud of what they accomplished. Maybe you need to become more invovled and voulunteer any time you may have. If you think you can do a better job, go stop by and let them hear you ideas.
Yes

Padre Island Ntl Seashor, TX

#18 Aug 15, 2011
Well said, Wrong. And very true. Parents don't take part in teaching lessons these days. Children look to their parents as moral influences.
old timer

Corpus Christi, TX

#20 Aug 15, 2011
KISD2011 wrote:
Well I'm going to tell you straight off the bat that I am NOT a teacher nor am I an employee for KISD. I simply have knowledge of the situation and see that it is unfair to judge ones work when one is not involved. What the superintendent says is not controlled by any employee affilitated with KISD. Again, mistakes are made and nobody is perfect. Oh, and good money? You better do your research on salaries throughout KISD before you use that line. You would be amazed.
So what you are saying that the salaries that were posted in the newspaper are not high and they might not be compairing to a standard school, problem is we are failing our kids, they are going to other ISD's, why is that? could it be cause we are a good school district? Wake up we are losing about 60 kids per year to other schools this puts us deeper in the hole,

we could go back and forth all month long and we still would not come up with the solution. The people that I first mentioned are the ones that can do something about it, our right is to keep a fire burning under them.
KISD2011

United States

#21 Aug 15, 2011
Back to my point, we need to learn from our mistakes. This is how the ball rolls in life and the fire you speak about is lit under every educator. These end of the year tests are only getting harder producing a higher failure rate. The word is that they are doing away with the TAKS and bringing in an even harder obstacle, end of course exams. I am unsure as to what they are called, but adapting to frequent changes such as these harder and longer tests is not a walk in the park. The fact of the matter is that both you and I are not educators and we need to leave this up to the professionals. I mean leave it up to them and not have a say so in it because chances are you and I both could not do any better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
He hurt me 25 min Say No To Sickos 8
Dirty People 38 min Wondering 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 3 hr CheeseSniff 1,050
Cassandra la pajarrita 3 hr Melissa 3
Kimberly Bunch (Jan '16) 6 hr vergodo 6
food stamps for sale! 6 hr vergodo 3
H%€s Of Kingsville 7 hr James 3

Kingsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingsville Mortgages