Report: Environmental damage in Smoki...

Report: Environmental damage in Smokies threatens state's economy

There are 13 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Mar 8, 2007, titled Report: Environmental damage in Smokies threatens state's economy. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Damage to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - the nation's most-visited national park - could hurt the economies of Tennessee and North Carolina counties that depend on jobs and revenues generated there, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

BackRoomDeals

Glennville, GA

#1 Mar 8, 2007
Yawn.

Who cares. The smokies are ok, but I am more interested in airbrush shirts in Pigeon Forge and Gatlingburg.

I could care less if the smokies rot. Right?

We should charge people $20 to get in the smokies, or just watch it get destroyed.
imogene

Rocklin, CA

#2 Mar 8, 2007
thank you for covering this
Bill

Knoxville, TN

#3 Mar 8, 2007
That article is a crock, no explanation at all of the alleged damage, just generality after generality. a complete crock.
Concerned

Union Star, KY

#4 Mar 8, 2007
Bill wrote:
That article is a crock, no explanation at all of the alleged damage, just generality after generality. a complete crock.
I'll give you a perfect example of the damage to the Smokies. Somehow an insect called a Wooly Adelgid (native to Europe) got here and has destroyed many of the fir trees in the mountains. Being from Europe, there is no natural predator of these insects, thus allowing them to multiply quickly and destroy the firs. Also, there is something called acid rain. See, here in the valley we have a lot of limestone causing us to have hard water. This limestone acts as a buffer, neutralizing the acid in the water supply. In the mountains, the water is not hard causing it to be very susceptible to acids falling in the rain caused by our pollution. There are some examples for you. Still don't think there is a problem?
Bill

Knoxville, TN

#5 Mar 9, 2007
I didn't say there are not problems, I said the article was a crock. The article is still a crock. No specifics are given, no examples are cited, the article is a crock.
BackRoomDeals

Glennville, GA

#6 Mar 9, 2007
Bill,

Please stay away from the Smokies for now on. People like you are the reason why people could care less what happens to the best thing East Tennessee and Western NC has.
Bill

Knoxville, TN

#7 Mar 9, 2007
I go where ever I want, whenever I want, as I please.
Cool Gal

Murfreesboro, TN

#8 Mar 9, 2007
Bill,
Eat your happy meals, drive your hummer and destroy what others value.
Thank god Darwin was right. Maybe you'll idiot yourself to extinction.
Bye.
Viewer

Nashville, TN

#9 Mar 9, 2007
Did you ever look at the base of the so called enviromental damaged trees?
If you have you would have found where bugs (boers) or what ever have gone into the trees. Young trees at ground level are trying to grow, enviroment would kill them quicker than the big ones.
Concerned

Union Star, KY

#11 Mar 9, 2007
Viewer wrote:
Did you ever look at the base of the so called enviromental damaged trees?
If you have you would have found where bugs (boers) or what ever have gone into the trees. Young trees at ground level are trying to grow, enviroment would kill them quicker than the big ones.
You are absolutely right. More than likely it is the Wooly Adelgid that has destroyed these trees. Not only are we seeing it here in east Tennessee, but Virginia is having a problem with them as well.
Bill

Knoxville, TN

#12 Mar 12, 2007
I am still a little slow at work so feel free to bait me.
Larry Waters

Murfreesboro, TN

#13 Mar 14, 2007
I saw something interesting at the bank. They are collecting for Easter Seals.
So, in the window of the drive up teller, I saw that a bootie showed that Jesus made a $1.00 donation.
Now, I don't know about you but, I think that that is a pretty crappy donation! Why the heck wouldn't Jesus just cure all the sick little easter children instead of just giving a buck.
Cheap SOB!
Bill

Knoxville, TN

#14 Mar 14, 2007
That was Haysooos what done that there. Jesus is grappling with Wooly Adelgids & turning Acid into Base.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingston Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drifter songs post one please 2 hr Hobo 6
Guess who's sleeping with who Names included 3 hr tHEmAN1111 1
Thoughts about God 3 hr tHEmAN1111 1
Andrea Hartley (Oct '13) 12 hr iknow 8
Corker for Prez 17 hr yep 37
Taking a Knee 23 hr the voice of reason 65
Are you jealous [email protected] $W!fT Fri Mwah 3

Kingston Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance