Rogersville man files $1.25 million f...

Rogersville man files $1.25 million false arrest lawsuit

There are 43 comments on the Rogersville Review story from Jul 6, 2006, titled Rogersville man files $1.25 million false arrest lawsuit. In it, Rogersville Review reports that:

A Rogersville man has named Hawkins County, Sheriff Warren Rimer and four law enforcement officers in a $1.25 million federal lawsuit alleging he was the victim of an unlawful arrest and use of excessive force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rogersville Review.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Angelia Gibson-Herrell

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jul 6, 2006
You're kiddin! This guy gets a dose of pepper spray and skinned-up a bit, then he feels he is entitled to $1.25 million of our tax dollars. I know these fellows. They're pretty straight guys.(1) There's no way they would have attempted to handcuff this individual without telling him the charges and (2) if he attempted to walk off while they were taking him into custody - hello, this is resisting arrest. And the other three officers assisted - well duh, this would not have been necessary unless the man was resisting. Gee, what do you think they teach these guys at the police acdmy. "Okay fellas, when another officer is struggling to subdue a suspect, you should stand around for a little while until you're sure he's getting his *** kicked and/or shots are fired. then it's okay to jump in there." I don't think so. They settled the last flimsy lawsuit against the S.O., and I'm sure this is what the attorneys are hoping for here too. 1.25 million, huh? The odds of getting the Co. to settle a lawsuit are more favorable than winning the lottery - so, in that case... Hey Guys - I might've committed a crime too, ya'll come get me!
Intrepid

Dover, DE

#2 Jul 7, 2006
I agree Angelia...
Rogersville Resident

AOL

#3 Jul 11, 2006
i agree angelia i know a few of them too and they aren't the police in california for cryin out loud they don't video themselves beating people...gee wiz maybe we all should just provoke a cop and them scream they hit me...its like cryin rape against the county..lol
Rogersville Granny

Waynesboro, VA

#4 Jul 12, 2006
Angelia Gibson-Herrell wrote:
You're kiddin! This guy gets a dose of pepper spray and skinned-up a bit, then he feels he is entitled to $1.25 million of our tax dollars. I know these fellows. They're pretty straight guys.(1) There's no way they would have attempted to handcuff this individual without telling him the charges and (2) if he attempted to walk off while they were taking him into custody - hello, this is resisting arrest. And the other three officers assisted - well duh, this would not have been necessary unless the man was resisting. Gee, what do you think they teach these guys at the police acdmy. "Okay fellas, when another officer is struggling to subdue a suspect, you should stand around for a little while until you're sure he's getting his *** kicked and/or shots are fired. then it's okay to jump in there." I don't think so. They settled the last flimsy lawsuit against the S.O., and I'm sure this is what the attorneys are hoping for here too. 1.25 million, huh? The odds of getting the Co. to settle a lawsuit are more favorable than winning the lottery - so, in that case... Hey Guys - I might've committed a crime too, ya'll come get me!
I agree Angelia, maybe we can try for 1.25mil.
Angelia Gibson-Herrell

Knoxville, TN

#5 Jul 13, 2006
Nuh-uh Granny! If they thump both of us in the head - we're going for at least 10 million. Plus, if you're really a granny, that's good for an extra 500k. And I don't know about cryin' rape against the county, Rogersville... but I did feel rather violated when those new property tax assessments came out. Oh my, I feel emotional distress and mental anguish coming on right now.
pepper spray him again

Kingsport, TN

#6 Jul 26, 2006
Agree and don't believe this guy will get a penny. He cannot even name the correct police officers. He probably deserved the pepper spray if truly received it. I'd like to spray his eyes full of it if he's associating with a meth dealer! Sounds like a nut trying to get money for being a nut.
Derrel Thomas

AOL

#7 Oct 29, 2006
unlawful arrest is a deprivation of someones liberty
and exccessive force on top that is even more,1.25 millon is'nt enough.
Overlook them

United States

#8 Oct 29, 2006
You have to overlook these ppl, Darrel, they are ignorant of any situation such as this and have no room to even mention it. I guarantee you that if these ppl who posted these disparraging remarks had the same thing happen to them, and it does happen to ppl who aren't associated with ANY drug dealers, they would be suing for a hell of a lot more than 1.25
Just an Observation

Piney Flats, TN

#9 Oct 29, 2006
Great point, Derrel, but (1) What information listed on this forum would lead you to believe the arrest was unlawful?(2) This case involved, beyond the initial charge, resisting arrest, combative behavior and use of force against an officer... still shouldn't have pepper sprayed him, huh?

Maybe they should have waited until he kicked all their asses but one... and then that fellow could have stood way, way back and said, "Golly Gee, Mister, would you please stop?"

I have been detained due to mistaken identity. I also cooperated with the authorities and worked w/ them to get the matter straightened out. I didn't raise enough hell to get pepper sprayed either. The manner in which you are treated is often a direct reflection of how you treat others. And just because someone disagrees with you, you should not immediately assume or claim they are ignorant. I've heard the only people who do this are those who suffer from feelings of inadequacy...
Look it up

United States

#10 Oct 30, 2006
Just an Observation, get a Webster's Dictionary and look up the word "ignorant"
I was not putting you down in any way, I am just saying that not everyone understands that some police officers (oh, like the little boy who was hired as a jailer and recently fired) get off on power. If you have ever had a family member that was treated without dignity and respect and abused by a police officer, then you know how this feels. You are not ignorant of the "power struggles" many police officers exhibit.
If you personally haven't experienced something such as this, then you are ignorant of the situation. Just an Observation, I have seen you take things to heart too much on this forum. Don't take everything personal.:)
Just an Observation

Piney Flats, TN

#11 Oct 30, 2006
Okay, to avoid a debate in semantics, let's say that everything you have assumed about me is true. I am ignorant. I know nothing about unlawful detainment, use of excessive force or any laws regarding these issues: Let's say I've never even heard of Rodney King. And your comments have made me utterly distraught and heartbroken. A real tear jerker and I'll probably never recover...

Now, that I have stipulated to every characteristic you've attributed to me without debate: please clarify a few things for me:

(1) by "power struggles" you mean "abuse of authority", right? So, you stated this was exhibited by "many officers" - that is a mighty broad statement. On what do you base this in-depth analysis?

Also(2) why would you consider the circumstances surrounding this case disrespectful to the plaintiff, abusive or a violation of his civil liberties? Because they officer used pepper spray or the fact that the suspect, after resisting arrest, was rendered immobile by use of physical force?

(3) At what point is force considered reasonable? If an officer attempts to question, detain, arrest a suspect who iscombatitive and non-reponsive: then that officer should... How would you complete the sentence? Say pretty please? Tell a Knock-Knock Joke? Invite the perp to play patty-cake?
Bryan

Campbellsville, KY

#12 Jun 21, 2007
I watch cops just like you do...those cops are great?

You tell me whats possible... we have all seen, New Jersey Drive, Crash and so on and so on...are those situations possible? Damn straight.
Question

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jul 9, 2007
I have a question for all of you! You get pulled over after having 2 beers, taken to jail charged with DUI, bond out and go to court. In court the judge throws it out and states that there was no reason for the officer to pull you over, you was not swerving, speeding, or doing anything illegal. You have missed work, paid a bondsman and have been humiliated, not to mention this continues to be on your arrest record, therefore every employer that does a background check will see it.

Would you sue?
geez

United States

#14 Jul 9, 2007
No. Drive home then have the beers.
Question wrote:
I have a question for all of you! You get pulled over after having 2 beers, taken to jail charged with DUI, bond out and go to court. In court the judge throws it out and states that there was no reason for the officer to pull you over, you was not swerving, speeding, or doing anything illegal. You have missed work, paid a bondsman and have been humiliated, not to mention this continues to be on your arrest record, therefore every employer that does a background check will see it.
Would you sue?
Question

Charlotte, NC

#15 Jul 10, 2007
geez wrote:
No. Drive home then have the beers.
<quoted text>
You wasn't drunk remember! You had two beers, you were not intoxicated, let's say, you were coming from BRISTOL MOTOR SPEEDWAY watching the race. You are not drunk at all, you still wouldn't sue? Oh I'm sorry you did say, no, right! You have never drank a beer at a resturant, or ball game right!

Oh okay, Rev.!
geez

Bowling Green, SC

#16 Jul 10, 2007
Actually you are right I have never drank a beer at any restaurant or ball game or anywhere else- can't get past the smell it's disgusting.
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
You wasn't drunk remember! You had two beers, you were not intoxicated, let's say, you were coming from BRISTOL MOTOR SPEEDWAY watching the race. You are not drunk at all, you still wouldn't sue? Oh I'm sorry you did say, no, right! You have never drank a beer at a resturant, or ball game right!
Oh okay, Rev.!
Question

Charlotte, NC

#17 Jul 10, 2007
geez wrote:
Actually you are right I have never drank a beer at any restaurant or ball game or anywhere else- can't get past the smell it's disgusting.
<quoted text>
Then you should have not commented on my scenario. Thanks for the interest, but since you do not drink you would not be able to consider the situation.

Thanks!
geez

United States

#18 Jul 11, 2007
Didn't say I didn't drink. Said I don't drink beer. But no matter what drink I choose to have I would not have even one or two and drive home afterwards. If I go out and whoever is with me is having even one beer, I will have just tea or a soda so that I can drive home. If you were taken to jail and charged with DUI I am sure the officer had a reason for doing so. If you got it thrown out on some technicality, well good for you. Take that as a gift and move on with your life. And here's a suggestion: don't drive home after drinking and you would never even have to think about asking anyone's opinion on this.
sickand tired

Rocky Mount, NC

#19 Jul 12, 2007
Hey, when a cop says stop, you better stop, when they say put your hands up, put your hands up. We pay these people to risk their lives for us everyday. I agree it goes to some of their heads too often, but considering what we pay them and the amount of responsibility we place on them its a wonder most don't go postal after awhile. For 1.25 million it better be more than pepper spray he was hit with.
Question

Charlotte, NC

#20 Jul 22, 2007
geez wrote:
Didn't say I didn't drink. Said I don't drink beer. But no matter what drink I choose to have I would not have even one or two and drive home afterwards. If I go out and whoever is with me is having even one beer, I will have just tea or a soda so that I can drive home. If you were taken to jail and charged with DUI I am sure the officer had a reason for doing so. If you got it thrown out on some technicality, well good for you. Take that as a gift and move on with your life. And here's a suggestion: don't drive home after drinking and you would never even have to think about asking anyone's opinion on this.
Good for you Rev. So glad to hear that you don't indulge when you have to drive! You missed the whole point of my scenerio, there was NO REASON to pull me over, I WAS NOT drunk, I PASSED ALL tests! The officer was being a real Di*kHead, and I had to pay for his ignorance. Sir, let me ask you, do actually think that the only reason a Judge dimisses a crime or finds someone not guilty is only if there is a technicality? How nieve you are! I was pulled over for a simple traffic offense....DRIVING WHILE BLACK! I guess the officer might have been a little jealous that I was driving a BMW 745 and he was stuck driving a Malibu...go figure! My suggestion for you: tell all your friends that if they just so happen to be falsely arrested they better plead guilty, because if for some reason they are found not guilty, you might think it was a technicality, hey they were obviously guilty! WAKE UP REV, it might be you one day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I love Kim 49 min i know dat right 2
Internet Love Story 1 hr Justice League 11
please support our... 2 hr Elder Fred 3
Leslie Meadows and Brad Zazzaretti 9 hr Karma Bitch 1
the brown spot 17 hr Bloodhound 4
Matthew Hill Supertalk 92.9FM 22 hr kim kardashian 24
Nothing special about mothers 22 hr kim kardashian 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingsport Mortgages