First Prev
of 4
Next Last
S-ugar H-oney I-ced T-ea

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2013
What did they say about it in the newspaper today?
Old Fart

United States

#2 Jan 13, 2013
They said, "Ya gotta pay, to read this story!"
stud

United States

#3 Jan 30, 2013
It will always be a burden on the city and lose money.
Big fat man

Cleveland, TN

#4 Jan 31, 2013
I still feel like 21,million would be more usefull in other places. Also all the road expantions and round a bouts that have been built are nice, but another 19 million on those. It seems that you don't spend money unless you know you will see a return on the investment. Road improvements might make a area more attractive for property development, but not in a bad market. We need sales tax! We need stores that are not already here! With the 40 million spent on roads and a pool, with the 25 million the state was going to give for the other project, kingsport COULC have been in position to have the same growth like Johnson city did when state of Frankland was built. Now, we will have a pool that is letter then both Johnson city's and bristols that makes the city nothing. At the cost of capital that could have helped usher in a new turkey creek sized complex. I do hate it for everyone involved, and I am not saying I could have done better, but I can say the choice to pay for the pool, and not help the crossroads project would not received my vote. My grand kids will love the pool, I, not as much. I'm sure they will have a age limit for going shirtless. Most parts of me haven't seen the sun since 84.
sam I am

Greer, SC

#5 Jan 31, 2013
I like the aquatic center!
Old Fart

United States

#6 Feb 1, 2013
It's a waste of money.
Want2Know

Bridgeport, AL

#7 Feb 5, 2013
It's not a waste of money. It will draw people to visit Kingsport who would have otherwise gone to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge to experience an aquatic center of this magnitude. I cannot wait for it to open and I know a lot of people and kids who are really excited about it. This area needs more things to draw young people in and needs to give them things to do and enjoy. It is an asset to Kingsport and ours will be the nicest one around this area.When you draw in tourists they will spend their money here. Maybe they will stay in one of the nearby hotels and visit local restaurants, etc. Or we could just keep on repairing Legion pool that is costing more money to operate and repair yearly than it brings in. How's that for revenue ?
LowDown

Church Hill, VA

#8 Feb 6, 2013
Bad thing is that its going to be so expensive to enter the center that the kids that had the pleasure of enjoying the now closed Legion Pool are going to be doing without. I just dont think its going to last long. Tourists are not going to come to Kingsport just for our aquatic center.. and there is definitely nothing else here to offer.
couldhave

Kingsport, TN

#9 Feb 6, 2013
Just another stupid way the BOM to cost people more money for them, when are the people in Kingsport going to wose up and change to whole officials trying to run Kingsport,
BoutTime

Bridgeport, AL

#10 Feb 6, 2013
I am glad to have a better place to go swim. Tired of going to Legion. All you saw there was a bunch of rowdy kids from the projects running around unsupervised because their parents dropped them off and left them there for the day so they didn't have to deal with them.(Or they walked there/same difference).

A pool is not a babysitter and I bet the lifeguards were sick and tired of it.

Oh yes people will drive here to swim. Maybe not from far, far away but locally. I have drove to Gatlinburg and PF to go to Wilderness at the Smokies or Wild Bear Falls because my kids wanted to go swimming in the winter time.

Jonesborough has a water park (Wetlands) that does an awesome business and draws people in from all over the plae in the summer. I bet Kingsport's aquatic center will do a great business in the summer AND the winter. Oh and Wetlands IS not CHEAP like Legion, but it still stays packed.
Old Fart

United States

#11 Feb 6, 2013
It's a waste of money, I tell you. We, the taxpayers, are building an "aquatic center" to subsidize other people's hobbies.

If I want to indulge in hobbies, I pay for them myself.

If people wanted to swim, why don't they join the other pool?
Because they want someone else to pay their way, that's why.

Kingsport is not a tourist destination, and a pool, I'm sorry, and "aquatic center" isn't going to change that.
Triznet

Ringgold, GA

#12 Feb 6, 2013
Kingsport is ran by people who play checkers - not chess.

But you can do what you please when you got all that income from red light camera tickets, huh?
4allkids_not_jus t_rich1s

Church Hill, VA

#13 Feb 6, 2013
BoutTime wrote:
I am glad to have a better place to go swim. Tired of going to Legion. All you saw there was a bunch of rowdy kids from the projects running around unsupervised because their parents dropped them off and left them there for the day so they didn't have to deal with them.(Or they walked there/same difference).
A pool is not a babysitter and I bet the lifeguards were sick and tired of it.
Oh yes people will drive here to swim. Maybe not from far, far away but locally. I have drove to Gatlinburg and PF to go to Wilderness at the Smokies or Wild Bear Falls because my kids wanted to go swimming in the winter time.
Jonesborough has a water park (Wetlands) that does an awesome business and draws people in from all over the plae in the summer. I bet Kingsport's aquatic center will do a great business in the summer AND the winter. Oh and Wetlands IS not CHEAP like Legion, but it still stays packed.
So you are saying that you didnt enjoy anything else in PF or Gatlinburg, just the pool in your hotel? I doubt that. Kingsport has nothing to offer. There is nothing else to enjoy.. You can only enjoy swimming for so long. Furthermore, those kids from the "projects" (kids whose parents may have been laid off or unable to work, NOT just lazy- They do exist!)deserve a fun, affordable place to swim as much as yours do. Thats whats wrong with this "highfalutin" place, too many people that think like YOU!
Old Fart

United States

#14 Feb 7, 2013
So, it's up the government to babysit the kids?

To provide "something to do?"

They "deserve it?" What did they do, to deserve it?
They're already getting free food...
LadyLuck

Church Hill, VA

#15 Feb 9, 2013
Old Fart wrote:
So, it's up the government to babysit the kids?
To provide "something to do?"
They "deserve it?" What did they do, to deserve it?
They're already getting free food...
My posting was a response to another stating those "kids from the projects".. as if those kids were beneath his/her own and thank God this Aquatic Center will get them away from the "project kids". My statement was against using the label kids from the "projects". Sure, there are some lazy people undeserving of free/low rent housing/food stamps but there are also children living in those areas whose moms/dads were laid off/disabled (truly disabled) and unable to work (It does happen!) so don't put label on people b/c it could easily happen to you.. I never said it was right to drop kids off at the pool as if it was a sitter. I SIMPLY MEANT THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MONEY DOESN'T MAKE YOUR KIDS ANY BETTER THAN THE ONES LIVING IN LOW INCOME AREAS. There are some living there that DOESN'T want to live there but its a roof over their kid's heads. Dont be so judgemental.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -PLATO
LadyLuck

Church Hill, VA

#16 Feb 9, 2013
Plus, I said there was nothing else in Kingsport to do so why would tourists come JUST to swim.. They won't. At least in Gatlingburg or Pigeon Forge you have other activities to enjoy.. What will they do in Kingsport, just swim for 7 days/6 nights? I think not. Kingsport needs to focus on accomodating the community, not just try to bring tourists in.
jIGRO

Elizabethton, TN

#17 Feb 9, 2013
Want2Know wrote:
It's not a waste of money. It will draw people to visit Kingsport who would have otherwise gone to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge to experience an aquatic center of this magnitude. I cannot wait for it to open and I know a lot of people and kids who are really excited about it. This area needs more things to draw young people in and needs to give them things to do and enjoy. It is an asset to Kingsport and ours will be the nicest one around this area.When you draw in tourists they will spend their money here. Maybe they will stay in one of the nearby hotels and visit local restaurants, etc. Or we could just keep on repairing Legion pool that is costing more money to operate and repair yearly than it brings in. How's that for revenue ?
People are not going to visit the kingsport aquatic center instead of going to gatlinburg. Get real.

The aquatic center is for the people using the convention center and I guess those with cars who can afford to drive out there and pay the fees.

It is certainly not "for the people".....lol

With all the money kingsport throws away....like all those fancy signs they have plastered the town with....and who knows which city council member or city council members family benefitted from that...... but with all the money they toss away...why couldnt they just build a new legion pool that would be accessible to the people and not just those who can afford or dont have a way to drive all the way out to the convention center.

KATS.... yea... but Im sure that special aquatic center route will come with a heavy price tag to keep the working class out of the aquatic center.
Scott

Chapel Hill, NC

#18 Mar 7, 2013
Where are all the kids that go to Legion going to go when it is closed. Most of the kids that use Legion are within walking distance. Once it is shut down most of these kids will not be able to go to the new aquatic center due to its location and price. When I was a kid growing up in Kingsport you could go to the Boys Club or Legion Pool. It gave kids a place to go to keep them off the streets. Now the Boys Club is a glorified day care center. If your kids aren't part of the after school program they aren't allowed in the building. Once the city has taken away Legion where are the kids going to go. When kids don't have something to occupy their time they tend to get into trouble.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#19 Mar 7, 2013
Ha, the mall *snicker*
LadyLuck

Church Hill, VA

#20 Mar 8, 2013
Scott wrote:
Where are all the kids that go to Legion going to go when it is closed. Most of the kids that use Legion are within walking distance. Once it is shut down most of these kids will not be able to go to the new aquatic center due to its location and price. When I was a kid growing up in Kingsport you could go to the Boys Club or Legion Pool. It gave kids a place to go to keep them off the streets. Now the Boys Club is a glorified day care center. If your kids aren't part of the after school program they aren't allowed in the building. Once the city has taken away Legion where are the kids going to go. When kids don't have something to occupy their time they tend to get into trouble.
Sad thing is, Scott, I asked the same thing in an earlier post and was told that the "project kids" was basically a bother and only went there because their parents sent them there as a babysitter.. No one seems to care, "Kingsport" included, what these kids will do. Kingsport officials are money hungry and could care less about the community. They are so worried about drawing in tourism and not even looking (or caring) about whats right here in front of them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women only 2 hr kim kardashian 8
Who still gives out help? 5 hr I know dats right 7
Walmart Refuses Disabled Cart Use (Mar '13) Sat Rick 69
pill mill (Mar '10) Fri Lisa Henderson 100
Requesting information on Eastman drug testing Dec 2 jackie smartstuff 4
sullivan county jail (Nov '13) Dec 1 tennhillbilly 43
wexford house (Jun '12) Dec 1 kim kardashian 70

Kingsport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance