What you see on these forums is basically what your going to get on everyday basis. Most people I have met who moved here under the age of 55, despise every aspect of this town. They always have the exact same reasonsIs the smell really that bad??? We are thinking of moving there because it seems like a cute little town. Please reply!
1. If the people moved from outside the bible belt or Iowa, they generally do not care for the people in Kingsport. Its always on the basis of people never being able to adapt to a new possibility that rivals with what mom and dad, taught them. Far as religions,simple principles,politics,judgement of other people,DRAMA, and always ignorance.
2. The complaint of having nothing to do, compared to their last town or cities activities or possibilities.
3. For you question of smell - Well yes, most people born and raised here, has learned to ignore several everyday apparent odors. Mostly its Eastman Chemical company, who has their usual egg basket of chemical odors throughout the entire area. Then kingsport has the lovely open sewage plant right near the downtown region(within 2 miles) that of course smells like raw ass mixed with rotten eggs. Then you have the paper plant or what used to be, that smells like of course a lighter hint of ass,wood pulp, and more chemicals.
4. General racism if they are another race besides white or the "middle" class black person. Anything other than this, your going to be treated differently regardless or this will be held against you as a person for whatever reason.
5. Job Market is simple and no advancing opportunities unless you have certain degrees or mom/dad did not help advance your business from the get go.
6. Our police department and its simplicity. If you go several months back this year, you will see how the police department treats "real" issues of this region. We had couple of gas stations and "headshops" selling the lovely synthetic smoke and occasional bath salt. The "city" and county cops launched an all out assault on these products as if a mexican drug cartel had moved into the region, and this area was going to turn into tijuana mexico. So basically the different departments will go ALL out if they learn that "punk kids" make more money in one month, than most of their salaries. For the entire history of kingsport, there had never been any effort like this towards ANY other "illegal" or narcotic drug ever.
7. The local news in this area is just genuine pathetic and biased as you can possibly get, as if this really matters.
8. To go out and "eat" on a friday or saturday night if your hungry should be forgotten, cause too many people care about being in a social spotlight. Kingsport has no diversity of restaurants or "special" restaurants. Its all chain restaurants and "authenic" culture foods, that is not "authenic" at all.
Could keep going, but number 1 is the most bothersome of them all for me, as when moving back to this town. I love my family here, but then again I strongly dislike their simple minds and horrid judgemental issues regarding everyday life. To raise a child in this area, you will simply cripple any form of real "advancement" in life, unless they will be happy to just do the "grind" of life and just be happy with whatever is available. I was taught same thing growing up myself and do not blame any single person, far as this is the general brainwashing concept of Kingsport, that will remain until the day martial law kicks in and they are forced to wake the hell up.
So if you love judgemental so called "christian" and "family" lifestyles and settling for whatever you can, then by all means come on down. Id recommend not being a "critical" thinker though, for you will be treated like a savage and disregarded no matter how right or wrong you are. So if you dont want more out of life or to actually have a chance in future development, also come on down. Or if your wanting to retire.