Whats the best thing about Kingsport?...

“Unknown”

Since: Sep 12

Kingsport

#145 Nov 4, 2012
Bob wrote:
Is the smell really that bad??? We are thinking of moving there because it seems like a cute little town. Please reply!
What you see on these forums is basically what your going to get on everyday basis. Most people I have met who moved here under the age of 55, despise every aspect of this town. They always have the exact same reasons

1. If the people moved from outside the bible belt or Iowa, they generally do not care for the people in Kingsport. Its always on the basis of people never being able to adapt to a new possibility that rivals with what mom and dad, taught them. Far as religions,simple principles,politics,judgement of other people,DRAMA, and always ignorance.

2. The complaint of having nothing to do, compared to their last town or cities activities or possibilities.

3. For you question of smell - Well yes, most people born and raised here, has learned to ignore several everyday apparent odors. Mostly its Eastman Chemical company, who has their usual egg basket of chemical odors throughout the entire area. Then kingsport has the lovely open sewage plant right near the downtown region(within 2 miles) that of course smells like raw ass mixed with rotten eggs. Then you have the paper plant or what used to be, that smells like of course a lighter hint of ass,wood pulp, and more chemicals.

4. General racism if they are another race besides white or the "middle" class black person. Anything other than this, your going to be treated differently regardless or this will be held against you as a person for whatever reason.

5. Job Market is simple and no advancing opportunities unless you have certain degrees or mom/dad did not help advance your business from the get go.

6. Our police department and its simplicity. If you go several months back this year, you will see how the police department treats "real" issues of this region. We had couple of gas stations and "headshops" selling the lovely synthetic smoke and occasional bath salt. The "city" and county cops launched an all out assault on these products as if a mexican drug cartel had moved into the region, and this area was going to turn into tijuana mexico. So basically the different departments will go ALL out if they learn that "punk kids" make more money in one month, than most of their salaries. For the entire history of kingsport, there had never been any effort like this towards ANY other "illegal" or narcotic drug ever.

7. The local news in this area is just genuine pathetic and biased as you can possibly get, as if this really matters.

8. To go out and "eat" on a friday or saturday night if your hungry should be forgotten, cause too many people care about being in a social spotlight. Kingsport has no diversity of restaurants or "special" restaurants. Its all chain restaurants and "authenic" culture foods, that is not "authenic" at all.

Could keep going, but number 1 is the most bothersome of them all for me, as when moving back to this town. I love my family here, but then again I strongly dislike their simple minds and horrid judgemental issues regarding everyday life. To raise a child in this area, you will simply cripple any form of real "advancement" in life, unless they will be happy to just do the "grind" of life and just be happy with whatever is available. I was taught same thing growing up myself and do not blame any single person, far as this is the general brainwashing concept of Kingsport, that will remain until the day martial law kicks in and they are forced to wake the hell up.

So if you love judgemental so called "christian" and "family" lifestyles and settling for whatever you can, then by all means come on down. Id recommend not being a "critical" thinker though, for you will be treated like a savage and disregarded no matter how right or wrong you are. So if you dont want more out of life or to actually have a chance in future development, also come on down. Or if your wanting to retire.

Take Care!

Since: Oct 12

Johnson City, TN

#146 Nov 5, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
My best advice is STAY WHERE YOU ARE!
The worst things about Kingsport,TN is Dennis Phillips. He is the most disrespectful and irreverant individual.
Eastman Kodak use to be a good thing.
The Godly real born again christians are the best thing in this town.
hatekingsport

United States

#147 Nov 5, 2012
israeloverofg wrote:
<quoted text>The worst things about Kingsport,TN is Dennis Phillips. He is the most disrespectful and irreverant individual.
who cares about Phillips ...eastman has NEVER been good! and to hellz with the "born again morons" its a town of retired people..drug addicts and jobless hope! don't move there!
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#148 Nov 5, 2012
israeloverofg wrote:
<quoted text>The worst things about Kingsport,TN is Dennis Phillips. He is the most disrespectful and irreverant individual.
Don;t know if having a town full of American-Taliban-wannabe's (aka "Evangelicals) is good thing or bad!
NONYABISNES

Columbus, GA

#149 Nov 5, 2012
is the chemical smell something to worry about? Like health wise? I;ve seen a few post about cancer rates being a lot higher in kingsport then anywhere else.
resident for 33 years

Charlotte, NC

#150 Nov 6, 2012
(In reply to)---is the chemical smell something to worry about? Like health wise? I;ve seen a few post about cancer rates being a lot higher in kingsport then anywhere else.

I have always wondered that. We will probably be told in 50 years that it caused alot of health issues. I have also noticed over the years that the amount of women in this area with PCOS is higher than most places. I have always wondered if the Eastman had something to do with that.
anne

Charlotte, NC

#151 Nov 6, 2012
Best - Pals
Worst - Hog Wild

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#152 Nov 7, 2012
There are approximately 57.5 million square miles of land on Earth.

Kingsport comprises approximately 35 square miles.

That means there are 57,499,965 square miles available for a person to live outside of Kingsport.

I recommend they do so.

“Unknown”

Kingsport

#153 Nov 7, 2012
Postergeist wrote:
That means there are 57,499,965 square miles available for a person to live outside of Kingsport.
I recommend they do so.
Where would you recommend?

The only benefit is too get away from simple minded people, to assume higher costs of living or into another town of simple minded people. Or I guess you could move into a pure nanny state or town, and let them pass "experimental" laws on their town, that of course take away more "freedoms", we dont even have in the first place.
obama

United States

#154 Nov 7, 2012
Postergeist wrote:
I recommend they do so.
wow!!! calculator class paid off!
Beagle

Ringgold, GA

#155 Nov 9, 2012
sir unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
Where would you recommend?
The only benefit is too get away from simple minded people, to assume higher costs of living or into another town of simple minded people. Or I guess you could move into a pure nanny state or town, and let them pass "experimental" laws on their town, that of course take away more "freedoms", we dont even have in the first place.
If it was me, I would suggest someplace without an internet connection so we don't have to read an endless amount of your over-thinking blather.

“Unknown”

Kingsport

#156 Nov 9, 2012
Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was me, I would suggest someplace without an internet connection so we don't have to read an endless amount of your over-thinking blather.
Yeh I know right, how dare I try to incite some deeper thinking. Besides always saying 2 "witty" lines and leaving it at that. Im literally trying to help many see past the bullshit and Im sorry you cannot relate to that or do not care. Its hard to face the fact that this region is borderline hopeless and there is really nothing you can do to inspire actual research or hell even thinking.

Take Care and sorry was this one way too long also?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#157 Nov 9, 2012
obama wrote:
<quoted text>wow!!! calculator class paid off!
Yeah but that math stuff with the metric alphabet was pretty much useless.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#158 Nov 10, 2012
Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
"sir unknown" is free to post whatever and whenever he pleases.

You are free to refrain from reading his comments.

Welcome to America.

Location hidden

#159 Nov 10, 2012
sir unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
What you see on these forums is basically what your going to get on everyday basis. Most people I have met who moved here under the age of 55, despise every aspect of this town. They always have the exact same reasons
1. If the people moved from outside the bible belt or Iowa, they generally do not care for the people in Kingsport. Its always on the basis of people never being able to adapt to a new possibility that rivals with what mom and dad, taught them. Far as religions,simple principles,politics,judgement of other people,DRAMA, and always ignorance.
2. The complaint of having nothing to do, compared to their last town or cities activities or possibilities.
3. For you question of smell - Well yes, most people born and raised here, has learned to ignore several everyday apparent odors. Mostly its Eastman Chemical company, who has their usual egg basket of chemical odors throughout the entire area. Then kingsport has the lovely open sewage plant right near the downtown region(within 2 miles) that of course smells like raw ass mixed with rotten eggs. Then you have the paper plant or what used to be, that smells like of course a lighter hint of ass,wood pulp, and more chemicals.
4. General racism if they are another race besides white or the "middle" class black person. Anything other than this, your going to be treated differently regardless or this will be held against you as a person for whatever reason.
5. Job Market is simple and no advancing opportunities unless you have certain degrees or mom/dad did not help advance your business from the get go.
6. Our police department and its simplicity. If you go several months back this year, you will see how the police department treats "real" issues of this region. We had couple of gas stations and "headshops" selling the lovely synthetic smoke and occasional bath salt. The "city" and county cops launched an all out assault on these products as if a mexican drug cartel had moved into the region, and this area was going to turn into tijuana mexico. So basically the different departments will go ALL out if they learn that "punk kids" make more money in one month, than most of their salaries. For the entire history of kingsport, there had never been any effort like this towards ANY other "illegal" or narcotic drug ever.
7. The local news in this area is just genuine pathetic and biased as you can possibly get, as if this really matters.
8. To go out and "eat" on a friday or saturday night if your hungry should be forgotten, cause too many people care about being in a social spotlight. Kingsport has no diversity of restaurants or "special" restaurants. Its all chain restaurants and "authenic" culture foods, that is not "authenic" at all.
Could keep going, but number 1 is the most bothersome of them all for me, as when moving back to this town. I love my family here, but then again I strongly dislike their simple minds and horrid judgemental issues regarding everyday life. To raise a child in this area, you will simply cripple any form of real "advancement" in life, unless they will be happy to just do the "grind" of life and just be happy with whatever is available. I was taught same thing growing up myself and do not blame any single person, far as this is the general brainwashing concept of Kingsport, that will remain until the day martial law kicks in and they are forced to wake the hell up.
So if you love judgemental so called "christian" and "family" lifestyles and settling for whatever you can, then by all means come on down. Id recommend not being a "critical" thinker though, for you will be treated like a savage and disregarded no matter how right or wrong you are. So if you dont want more out of life or to actually have a chance in future development, also come on down. Or if your wanting to retire.
Take Care!
Well said and I fully agree.
who

United States

#160 Nov 10, 2012
Dubya Tee Eff wrote:
<quoted text>
"sir unknown" is free to post whatever and whenever he pleases.
You are free to refrain from reading his comments.
Welcome to America.
and "begal" is free to the same!
wtf

Kingsport, TN

#161 Nov 10, 2012
If you read Dennis Phillips personal acheivments and where he started and come from he met a woman and had a child in 1980 Did you guys know he had a daughter in the seventys and he never spoke once about that in his acheivements whats up with that he cant be honest with the people

Location hidden

#162 Nov 10, 2012
who wrote:
<quoted text>and "begal" is free to the same!
As are you, me, and anyone else.

Location hidden

#163 Nov 10, 2012
wtf wrote:
If you read Dennis Phillips personal acheivments and where he started and come from he met a woman and had a child in 1980 Did you guys know he had a daughter in the seventys and he never spoke once about that in his acheivements whats up with that he cant be honest with the people
Job layoffs... bad economy... high gas prices... wacky weather... crime... terrorism... wars and rumors of wars... terminal illness... getting older... loss of a loved one... when considering all of the existing and potential things that can affect my life, I really couldn't give a sh!t less about Dennis Phillips' failure to disclose having a daughter in the 70s.

“Unknown”

Kingsport

#164 Nov 10, 2012
Dubya Tee Eff wrote:
<quoted text>
Job layoffs... bad economy... high gas prices... wacky weather... crime... terrorism... wars and rumors of wars... terminal illness... getting older... loss of a loved one... when considering all of the existing and potential things that can affect my life, I really couldn't give a sh!t less about Dennis Phillips' failure to disclose having a daughter in the 70s.
But wait man, why do you not care? Its the current gossip and you seem to get away from "important" issues. I believe we need to see this mans high school diploma and his receipts from Wal Mart. Cause if he has bought anything from China, oh boy its on!

Who cares about the silly economy, the government has got PLANS, to fix it man! Just trust them, they have your best interest at heart, I mean for petes sake, have they EVER done anything bad to you?

And those other issues are not important at all, Im wanting to get a petition right now, so my child WONT have to learn this nasty yoga stuff. Thats some important stuff my friend.

Take Care and I know you will understand the obvious sarcasm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
deadly kingsport flood (Jul '13) 55 min KIM KARDASHIAN 37
Flood!!!!!!!11@ (Aug '13) 1 hr KIM KARDASHIAN 13
WKPT TV News Coverage of Kingsport Tornado & Re... (Jul '14) 1 hr KIM KARDASHIAN 5
tornado (Jun '13) 1 hr KIM KARDASHIAN 18
rare winter tornado hits kingsport! (Nov '13) 1 hr KIM KARDASHIAN 7
Brookhaven Manor (Sep '14) 21 hr Patients family m... 27
democracy a spectator sport 22 hr KIM KARDASHIAN 2

Kingsport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingsport Mortgages