Whats the best thing about Kingsport?...
Tatler

Johnson City, TN

#103 May 11, 2010
What "large" "progressive" cities have you lived in? Erwin? Hampton? Darn those yankees and their incest laws!
almost right

Nashville, TN

#104 May 11, 2010
how many "farmers" are there? sure to be a few legit farmers.

and retiremnt for the wealthy is something the city touts.

but basically its a declining industrial town with too many non farmers and retirees to support.

and educate.
master chowder wrote:
I have lived in large, progressive, modern cities where there are lots of fun things to do and everyone has a good paying professional job. But there is another thing that goes with being in that kind of town: it is not safe to go out by yourself after dark. There is gun violence and a murder or rape in the paper every week. There are ghettoes that don't even compare to Riverview or Cloud apartments. Kingsport is a safe town and a good place to live, and the stats prove it.
A lot of people move here because they want to get away from the problems elsewhere. They come here to fulfill their dreams of being a farmer and live someplace quiet in the countryside where people are friendly and will leave them alone. All of my neighbors are like this, they lived in a big city so that they could have a good job and once they collected up a nest egg that was large enough they moved here. The thing is, this "big city" culture that these people are trying to escape is a mentality that has saturated their personality, and it is something that they drag along with them like garbage to infect our town.
Go back home where you belong. Back to your progressive modern cities and leave us hillbillies alone.
SaltShaker

Big Stone Gap, VA

#105 May 12, 2010
master chowder wrote:
I have lived in large, progressive, modern cities where there are lots of fun things to do and everyone has a good paying professional job. But there is another thing that goes with being in that kind of town: it is not safe to go out by yourself after dark. There is gun violence and a murder or rape in the paper every week. There are ghettoes that don't even compare to Riverview or Cloud apartments. Kingsport is a safe town and a good place to live, and the stats prove it.
A lot of people move here because they want to get away from the problems elsewhere. They come here to fulfill their dreams of being a farmer and live someplace quiet in the countryside where people are friendly and will leave them alone. All of my neighbors are like this, they lived in a big city so that they could have a good job and once they collected up a nest egg that was large enough they moved here. The thing is, this "big city" culture that these people are trying to escape is a mentality that has saturated their personality, and it is something that they drag along with them like garbage to infect our town.
Go back home where you belong. Back to your progressive modern cities and leave us hillbillies alone.
It's already "infected" by pollution, too many "baby mamas" living on welfare, a high crime rate for such a small city, low education and graduation rates, etc.
InMyOpinion

Bristol, TN

#106 May 12, 2010
All these reasons and more are why I DID leave Kingsport and so glad I did!
holy sheep dip

Nashville, TN

#107 May 12, 2010
you almost sound like fred phelps. "yankees and their incest laws". i think incest is usually inherent to backwards small rural communities. ahem.

it happens in rural utah all the time. theres a place in mt city called incest hollow.

i dont think yankees are your problem.
Tatler wrote:
What "large" "progressive" cities have you lived in? Erwin? Hampton? Darn those yankees and their incest laws!
Senior senior

United States

#108 May 12, 2010
DBHS is a fine school if your kids can stand up for what they believe in. I myself have been in band for all four years, so I can honestly say I've seen the best and the worst. DB isn't that bad. Yea, we have our pot smokers and drinkers, but it's safe and most of the teachers are very competent in their jobs. The band, sports, and academics have been nationally recognized several times, and, in some cases, it is considered the best school in Tennessee. Yes, the peer pressure is enormous, but if you haven't coddled your kids to death, it's easy to avoid.
Blast from the past

Salem, VA

#109 May 14, 2010
holy sheep dip wrote:
you almost sound like fred phelps. "yankees and their incest laws". i think incest is usually inherent to backwards small rural communities. ahem.
it happens in rural utah all the time. theres a place in mt city called incest hollow.
i dont think yankees are your problem.
<quoted text>
I agree typical hillibillies want to blame the yankees for all their probs. Just like the yankees are making them be a pillibilly and a jar hopper.
true

Nashville, TN

#110 May 14, 2010
DB IS the school to go to if you MUST live in KPT. if you want your kids to have a chance at some educational opportunites going to DB is the option.
in the county schools you get more classes like:
detention
teen pregnancy 101
marlborology
the art of domestic violence
factory worker 101
how to work on cars in your yard the rest of your life-special ed
the art of the DUI
falsifying prescriptions 101
weedology
scamming the system 101-how to get a disablity check-special ed
racial inferiority-special ed
homophobia
right wing rhetoric for those in special ed (the basics)(very basic)
probation
jail cell economics
stripperology
making your minimum wage paycheck last all weekend
the 12 steps to alcoholism
repeating the cycle
trailer park rental
and so much more..........
Senior senior wrote:
DBHS is a fine school if your kids can stand up for what they believe in. I myself have been in band for all four years, so I can honestly say I've seen the best and the worst. DB isn't that bad. Yea, we have our pot smokers and drinkers, but it's safe and most of the teachers are very competent in their jobs. The band, sports, and academics have been nationally recognized several times, and, in some cases, it is considered the best school in Tennessee. Yes, the peer pressure is enormous, but if you haven't coddled your kids to death, it's easy to avoid.
justme2010

Knoxville, TN

#111 May 15, 2010
For every one person that's paying tuition to go to DB from outside the city there's more than one person INSIDE the city who do not and will not go there. There are many students inside Kingsport city limits that are going to other schools in the county, outside the county, and even outside the state. And if anyone believes DB is one of the best schools in the nation, they're out of their mind. DB doesn't even come close to being the best school in this state, despite what we've been told by the likes of Times News our entire life.

There is a established curriculum of classes that most 4 year colleges in this country require, and it doesn't change much from state to state. As long as a school provides that and it is met with a student who is willing to learn, then it doesn't matter where you went to high school. Anything beyond that is fluff and pomp and circumstance.

It's only natural that a school the size of DB will have a top few individual that have the motivation and drive to excel at whatever they do. But what percentage of DB as a whole will graduate and go to good 4 year schools outside of this area? How does that compare with the rest of the graduating class, or how about the rest of the nation? You don't have to be a genius to go to DB, and DB doesn't create smart kids, they're like that already. Much of the resentment to DB is the belief they're the end all to education in NE TN. In 20 years, nobody is going to give a damn what's on your high school diploma, only that you have one.
Luann

Johnson City, TN

#112 May 15, 2010
The best thing about Kingsport....Hmmm it's a toss-up between the bus station and the airport. I guess the airport wins because it gets you out of town faster.
Kangspoahrt

Nashville, TN

#113 May 15, 2010
DB wins by default. its kpt we are talking about after all. but arguing that in 20yrs noone will give damn if you have a high school diploma is a moot point. in twenty years thats true, unless you still havent got your G.E.D. when you are applying for a job.

then someone will care. in kpt they offer J.E.D.'s (they cant spell G.E.D.)

like like john cougar said, "...where theres little opportunity..."
justme2010 wrote:
For every one person that's paying tuition to go to DB from outside the city there's more than one person INSIDE the city who do not and will not go there. There are many students inside Kingsport city limits that are going to other schools in the county, outside the county, and even outside the state. And if anyone believes DB is one of the best schools in the nation, they're out of their mind. DB doesn't even come close to being the best school in this state, despite what we've been told by the likes of Times News our entire life.
There is a established curriculum of classes that most 4 year colleges in this country require, and it doesn't change much from state to state. As long as a school provides that and it is met with a student who is willing to learn, then it doesn't matter where you went to high school. Anything beyond that is fluff and pomp and circumstance.
It's only natural that a school the size of DB will have a top few individual that have the motivation and drive to excel at whatever they do. But what percentage of DB as a whole will graduate and go to good 4 year schools outside of this area? How does that compare with the rest of the graduating class, or how about the rest of the nation? You don't have to be a genius to go to DB, and DB doesn't create smart kids, they're like that already. Much of the resentment to DB is the belief they're the end all to education in NE TN. In 20 years, nobody is going to give a damn what's on your high school diploma, only that you have one.
JoJo

Johnson City, TN

#114 May 15, 2010
Ugly, depressing, funky smelling.....Stinkport, the little slice o'heaven deep in the heart of Crappalachia. A bad place to break down.
Carlotta

Johnson City, TN

#115 May 17, 2010
true wrote:
DB IS the school to go to if you MUST live in KPT. if you want your kids to have a chance at some educational opportunites going to DB is the option.
in the county schools you get more classes like:
detention
teen pregnancy 101
marlborology
the art of domestic violence
factory worker 101
how to work on cars in your yard the rest of your life-special ed
the art of the DUI
falsifying prescriptions 101
weedology
scamming the system 101-how to get a disablity check-special ed
racial inferiority-special ed
homophobia
right wing rhetoric for those in special ed (the basics)(very basic)
probation
jail cell economics
stripperology
making your minimum wage paycheck last all weekend
the 12 steps to alcoholism
repeating the cycle
trailer park rental
and so much more..........
<quoted text>
Excellent post!!! But, you forgot two important classes:
Meth Cooking For Dummies
How to abuse animals 101
Kangspoahrt

Nashville, TN

#116 May 18, 2010
very true. thanks for the additions
now if you wanna see all these skills in action, hang out at hawg wild. thats whar they end uup after highschool.

its sort of a threshing floor for east tn rednex and the mating and social rituals.
Carlotta wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post!!! But, you forgot two important classes:
Meth Cooking For Dummies
How to abuse animals 101
Kangspoahrt

Nashville, TN

#117 May 18, 2010
i asked this guy in KPT if he went to North high? he said, "hell yeah!" "and drunk, too!"
master chowder

Reston, VA

#118 May 19, 2010
You people think everyone in this town is beneath your station, so you move 30 minutes away because you think people in Johnson City, Abingdon or Jonesborough have more class. Then you crack jokes about all the low class, poor people in Kingsport.

I love people that do that, because shallow, arrogant people are funny in a pathetic sort of way. Seriously, do people living in any of the cities within a 50 mile range of Kingsport really have it that much better than the people in Kingsport? Are any of the towns in the entire state that much more elite than Kingsport? No. The real reason why you people are so prejudiced against this town is because you are crybabies.

If you seriously don't like it here, then instead of moving 20 miles away why don't you move someplace like California or New England and don't come back. If you seriously don't like the people here, then stop talking to them.

The fact that you people have such vested interests in disparaging this town, the fact that you keep coming back, keep interacting with the people here, all these things show that you are crybabies who can't move on with their lives. You take pride in disparaging the people in this town because you are insecure about yourselves and you have self-inflated egos.
justme2010

Knoxville, TN

#119 May 19, 2010
master chowder wrote:
You people think everyone in this town is beneath your station, so you move 30 minutes away because you think people in Johnson City, Abingdon or Jonesborough have more class. Then you crack jokes about all the low class, poor people in Kingsport.
I love people that do that, because shallow, arrogant people are funny in a pathetic sort of way. Seriously, do people living in any of the cities within a 50 mile range of Kingsport really have it that much better than the people in Kingsport? Are any of the towns in the entire state that much more elite than Kingsport? No. The real reason why you people are so prejudiced against this town is because you are crybabies.
If you seriously don't like it here, then instead of moving 20 miles away why don't you move someplace like California or New England and don't come back. If you seriously don't like the people here, then stop talking to them.
The fact that you people have such vested interests in disparaging this town, the fact that you keep coming back, keep interacting with the people here, all these things show that you are crybabies who can't move on with their lives. You take pride in disparaging the people in this town because you are insecure about yourselves and you have self-inflated egos.
I agree it's pretty hypocritical for people in others areas of the Tri-Cities to think they're above Kingsport. Johnson City has its fair share of yuppies and elites, but overall living in one area of the Tri-Cities inst vastly different than living in any other. However, saying there isn't really other towns in TN that's more elite is a very incorrect statement. Places like Brentwood, Farragut, and Murfreesboro are places that are flooded with a narcissistic upper middle class. With our states low cost of living those people have it very easy here and they compose a larger percentage of ours states population than you may realize. And I'm not saying its a good thing, there are a lot of things I absolutely hate about that lifestyle, but at the same time there's things I think the Tri-Cities can learn from it too.
Native

Jasper, TN

#120 Jun 29, 2010
I grew up in Kingsport but have lived away for years, although I do visit several times a year. I know that I received an excellent education (academically) at DBHS. I was wondering if someone could explain the comments that have been made about "enormous peer pressure" at DB as a negative. Is it worse than at other schools or does it mean something different than the obvious?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#121 Jun 29, 2010
The worst is what Wellmont deems, defends and supports as quality health care. Not at all like they advertise, it took them three years to disparage and prove their very own advertising is false, fraudulent and misleading. For more info please see link below...

http://www.wisecountyissues.com/...
thats true

Nashville, TN

#122 Jul 1, 2010
...but comparing kpt to the polar opposite of the spectrum (brentwood/farragut/mboro is the other extreme. someof us are working people who moved to regular towns(far far away) and work regular jobs.

screw the slobs and the snobs!
justme2010 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it's pretty hypocritical for people in others areas of the Tri-Cities to think they're above Kingsport. Johnson City has its fair share of yuppies and elites, but overall living in one area of the Tri-Cities inst vastly different than living in any other. However, saying there isn't really other towns in TN that's more elite is a very incorrect statement. Places like Brentwood, Farragut, and Murfreesboro are places that are flooded with a narcissistic upper middle class. With our states low cost of living those people have it very easy here and they compose a larger percentage of ours states population than you may realize. And I'm not saying its a good thing, there are a lot of things I absolutely hate about that lifestyle, but at the same time there's things I think the Tri-Cities can learn from it too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bigger boom 1 hr julie 18
The Model City?? 6 hr kim kardashian 8
Justice for melissa 6 hr Tab 2
True Green Lawn care. Thu Johnson 4
Gyms Wed Jerkface 1
Does size matter??? Wed julie 52
floods Wed Caitlyn Jenner 2

Kingsport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance