Whats the best thing about Kingsport? The worst?

Posted in the Kingsport Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Susan

Rochester, NY

#1 Aug 2, 2007
Hi!

My husband may possibly transfer from Eastman Kodak up here in Western NY, to Eastman Chemical
in Kingsport, TN.

I'm looking for honest opinions of what it's like living there.

Thanks for any help!

Susan
Joe

Kingsport, TN

#2 Aug 2, 2007
Susan wrote:
Hi!
My husband may possibly transfer from Eastman Kodak up here in Western NY, to Eastman Chemical
in Kingsport, TN.
Thanks for any help!
Susan
My best advice is STAY WHERE YOU ARE!
Tracy

Johnson City, TN

#3 Aug 2, 2007
Best- funfest
worst - smell
Move To Kingsport

Rocky Mount, NC

#4 Aug 9, 2007
Susan wrote:
Hi!
in Kingsport, TN.
Thanks for any help!
Susan
You will LOVE Kingsport, a progressive community that invests heavily in K-12, Higher Education and quality of life. Compared to New York, you won't even notice your property tax bill, although sales taxes are a bit high.
For more, visit www.movetokingsport.com or http://jefffleming.blogspot.com/ .
We would be most happy to welcome you to town!
StandnMyGround

Johnson City, TN

#5 Aug 9, 2007
ROFL!! That is hilarious! Poster: "Move to Kingsport" has got to be getting paid to tell you that. LOL Yes, it's probably a lot safer than NYC but it's mainly cluttered with chemical emitting smoke stacks, old industry ugly eye sore buildings, horrible odor, nothing in the area is nice too look at except for maybe bays mountain park. Holston river after is flows past the eastman is not safe to eat fish from. As for the schools, I would not send my kids to Dobyns Bennett if they BEGGED ME!! If I were you, I would check surrounding areas if you must work in kingsport, its worth the drive to not live here. Atleast stay on the outskirts or the town. Good Luck
Lawson

Kingsport, TN

#6 Aug 9, 2007
I agree about Dobyns Bennett....my kids will never go there either. Personally, Id suggest living in the Sullivan Gardens area.
Stevie

Rocky Mount, NC

#7 Aug 14, 2007
My God people, if you hate it that much here....MOVE. I can tell you from experience in having lived in many other communities, this isn't near as bad as you make it out. If fact it's quite good.
RollTribeRoll

Columbia, TN

#8 Aug 15, 2007
Stevie wrote:
My God people, if you hate it that much here....MOVE. I can tell you from experience in having lived in many other communities, this isn't near as bad as you make it out. If fact it's quite good.
I agree 100%. If you don't like it here, pack your bags and head West!
m plop

United States

#9 Aug 15, 2007
i like it were ten years behind
StandnMyGround

Johnson City, TN

#10 Aug 17, 2007
Stevie wrote:
I don't live in kingsport. LOL but I have. Shows how much you know.
Bobbie_Ray

Columbia, TN

#11 Aug 20, 2007
Best: Most Everthing Except A little Getting Going

Worst: Sunbridge Hillside Nursing Home Forces It Residents Who Smoke [Can't Change old Habits] To go out in the Extreem Heat to Smoke and Nobody does anything About It.
Bonnie

AOL

#12 Dec 7, 2007
The best thing is the people,the worst thing is how Eastman controls the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
Dobyns-Bennett alum

Maryville, TN

#13 Dec 7, 2007
I graduated from Dobyns-Bennett and I would not suggest that school at all. The curriculum is excellent, however it is overshadowed by all of the peer pressure. Kingsport is a nice, somewhat "snobby" community, but if you have children do not send them to DBHS.
Ver

Johnson City, TN

#14 Dec 9, 2007
Bottom line is that Kingsport, TN is very, very different from Rochester, NY. I've lived in both places, and I can tell you everything's up to your personal perspectives.
Ex-Kingsporter

White Bluff, TN

#15 Apr 13, 2008
Some of these posts are hilarious. I detect a distinct odor of jealousy.
If you already live with a chemical smell, you can locate mear Eastman. If you dont like it( and it CANT be good for your health), live somehwere nearby and upwind. LOL.
Kspt typically wins the scholastic and sports awards/events and surrounding communities tend to dislike that.
Why did I leave? There were no jobs in my chosen profession(marine engineering) and I had to move to a more coastal area. When I retire, it will be to somewhere near Kspt in upper E. TN.
You will enjoy your move unless you are a 'damn Yankee'.
Cliff

Since: Dec 07

Asheville

#16 Apr 13, 2008
I'm surprised to hear all the negative comments. I don't live in Kingsport but a lot of my family lived there for many years. I've always thought it was an attractive, friendly place!
Roll Tribe Roll

Crossville, TN

#17 Apr 22, 2008
Kingsport is a great place to live! Yes, Eastman and Domtar gives off a fowl smell but you can not smell it all over the area. As for D-B It's a great school. They have an excellent curriculum,(academic / sports). As you can see from above, all the jealousy remarks from the surrounding communities. Only thing negative about D-B that is true , there is alot of pressure because its big and they strive for excellence. But what parent would not want that for their kid? Life in general has that and thats what they are preparing them for.
Jessica

Johnson City, TN

#18 Apr 23, 2008
I graduated from DBHS in 2007 and i loved it. its a great school, yes it is big and like they said they strive for excellence. but that just means that expect you to do good and give your all. i loved DB. they helped me a lot. because my mother had cancer and so i had to stay out a lot and when she passed away i missed months of school. but they worked with me. and i passed so to me. that school is the best. and i thank them for doing that
Chris

Barnesville, OH

#19 Apr 24, 2008
I think that Funfest is a highlight of Kingsport. The pollution would be what I would consider the biggest negative.

The cost of living in the area isn't bad at all compared to the NY area. I agree that if I were moving to the area, that I would live in an outlying area like Colonial Heights, Alandale, Preston Forest or even Ridgefields.

For the most part, people are very friendly in the area with the exception of a very few bad apples.
Kingsport citizen

Knoxville, TN

#20 Apr 26, 2008
The crime in the Tri-Cities in significantly high. I think, in general, Kingsport is a nice place. Eastman and the other factories may not look great but (1) if Eastman wasn't here, there wouldn't be a Kingsport and (2) they do not pollute as much as you think. The schools, for the most part, are great regardless of what anyone says about county schools. DB is overcowded and I wouldn't send my kids their either.

However, I have lived in both Knoxville and Chattanooga and I have never saw as many rude and stubern people in my life. A lot of people in Kingsport have that small-town snob and I-know-everything attitude. But, at the same time, a lot have that small-town confort attitude too.

Very interesting history.

To those who say that if people don't like Kingsport they should leave; easier said than done. How do you know that the person complaining does or does not have a choice of where they live?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kingsport preacher caught with black man? 8 min kim kardashian 26
sit down and listen 17 min kim kardashian 1
Review: Hillbilly Tire & Towing 15 hr ghostrider67 is a... 10
Why does kingsport smell so damn bad? (Dec '11) 15 hr kim kardashian 23
The Shack in Colonial Heights (Sep '12) 18 hr kim kardashian 35
VIP Seen mag (Jun '13) Sat kim kardashian 38
Prostitutes in Kingsport Sat lickkimout 54
Kingsport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kingsport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl