First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Development

Cleveland, TN

#1 Jun 13, 2012
Has anyone know if or why Garfield's has went out of business at the much anticipated new Kingsport town center?
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jun 13, 2012
I was there a few weeks ago it was still open. My friend just was at the mall Sunday and he told me it was still open. So if it shut down it just literally shut down today or a couple of days ago. Ok just did some digging while typing out this post. Garfield's in Kingsport, TN is no longer listed as a location. I looked up the number on Google as well and just called it. The number is disconneced!!!

So it looks like it's true. Garfields has closed.
Roller

Kingsport, TN

#4 Jun 15, 2012
that stinks, I loved there.
I'm guessing it was in the way of the new theater
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jun 15, 2012
As far as I know Garfield's wasn't to be taken out due to the new threater but since the new one will have a bar and cafe in it that makes sense. Perhaps they just don't want to compete with that or perhaps that area will be a part of the new complex. Either way I was at the mall today and can confirm Garfields is now closed.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#6 Jun 15, 2012
If they build the theater.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jun 16, 2012
Frank's already announced the plans for the theater and with Marquee leaving it's happening. I can't see Frank's pulling out so late in this process. My guess is they've already signed a lease on it and would have to pay heavy penalities if they don't go through with their plans. That being said all the supposed plans for this mall have all but fallen apart. Every time I go into the mall it seems like something else has closed down. Vacant spots, small shops you never heard of and a few anchor tenants that have small and ran down stores doesn't exactly give confidence to this mall lasting.

The JCPenney store smells, its small and looks awful. Sears is ran down and showing signs of aging. The only large anchor store in that mall that has enough space and still looks decent is Belk and honestly it could even use a little bit of work. Frank's will be nice when it comes but honestly I feel like its a band aide on a bigger problem. That mall is still in awful shape and losing tenants. It needs a complete overhaul and to be expanded if it's ever to succeed in the long run.

Heritage Point will be opening in 5-10 years and if that center turns out to be as good as planned I think between it and the Pavilion the mall will go under. I could see the large anchors moving to Heritage Point and the mall closing at that point in time. So while I love Frank's idea I have to question there sanity on locating in a dying shopping center that unless a total 180 is done soon it won't be around. That mall will be dead in at most 5 years if things aren't done soon. People in the Kingsport area are getting sick of dealing with a low rent and run down mall we need and deserve something else. Not only that but I'm sick of reading and hearing about all the changes and not a THING has been done. Talk talk talk, that's all it is. Nothing is changing and I'd bet money Heritage Point when it opens will be the final nail in this mall's coffin. The mall already has both feet in the grave and is sinking anyways.
Mall

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jun 16, 2012
Sears and JCPenney's are in major financial issues. I be surprised if both stays open for very long. I guess time will tell.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jun 17, 2012
JCP I think can survive and honestly once people start understanding their new pricing which I love the customers will start coming back. They just need to tweak a few things. I've been to some very nice JCP stores its just unfortunate that the Kingsport location is such a small and ran down looking store. I'll agree with you on Sears and K-Mart though. I honestly don't know how Sears/K-Mart even stay in business. Every time I'm in one there is only a few people in the store and one person at the register.

I personally think if Sears has any shot of surival they need to down size a lot. They need to close all the K-Mart stores and all the Sears locations should be downsized and focus on appliances, lawnmowers, tools etc... All Sears has left is its appliances and hardware that really keeps them afloat. Nobody buys Jewerly, clothing, shoes etc.... from Sears. Soft lines are a mess from them. On the K-Mart side though they just can't compete with Walmart or Target. Target has better quality at low prices and Walmart has a lot more to choose from and low prices as well. K-Mart just can't compete and most of their merchandise is of poor quality and over priced. Also as K-Mart has been in a down sizing mode by getting rid of a lot of products they honestly don't carry a good selection anymore either.
Mall

Columbia, SC

#10 Jun 17, 2012
I agree with you on Sears, if they down sized and cut K-Mart they may survive. JCPenney, I think has to really start some new ads (newspaper or tv). I believe the customers are confused and don't know what to think.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#11 Jun 17, 2012
Since the cross roads project is a good possibility, any stores who would look at the mall, I would think, will wait until that development happens. Then Marquee who was in the mall, has said they are looking to start construction by mid July. I'm not sure, if this does happen, do you think the mall could get financing regardless of the lease signed to build a second 12 screen theater complex in Kingsport on property the mall only leases. My guess it's who starts first. It's stumped me on the direction to look at for other developments. The numbers say car count. Longhorn steakhouse, buffalo wild wings, olive garden, and all the other stores in that area do great. Stewart owns everything at the crossroads, and that leaves target shopping center and the mall. The target site is where I thought marquee was going, but they haven't done much since opening. The only place that is growing is the Eastman road and east stone drive area. And now a new Ashley furniture which is something. I don't know, the city thinks downtown, most of the new business have chosen east stone commons area, and the state has gave funding to 26/81. I agree with you regarding jcp and sears.
Mall

Clinton, SC

#12 Jun 18, 2012
I thought the new movie theater was going behind or near K-Mart? That would be a prime location for the restaurants in the area. It could also boost sales for Ross, TJ Max, etc. The Fort Henry Mall is going to become the new Traders Village with the crap stores and restaurants. Malls seem to become the thing of the past. Strip malls tend to generate more business.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#13 Jun 18, 2012
Marquee is going to move behind K-Mart. Frank's is taking over the mall theater and expanding it to an complete entertainment complex featuring a cafe, a bar, laser tag, and a bowling alley.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#14 Jun 18, 2012
I guess the issue is that kingsport can not support two theaters. Marquee and franks have made announcements in the paper, marquee also has a new housing complex, and franks has the bowling and bar. But I just can't see one getting financing if the other starts construction. I would make plans at the cross roads if it was mine.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#15 Jun 18, 2012
I believe Kingsport can support two especially since the two locations are marketed to two different kind of crowds. BTW if the Crossing Complex is completed we may have three since plans are to put a threater in there as well. Three is pushing it though but if you recall Kingsport at one point in time did have three threaters. However that was a long time ago and people's movie habits have changed. I can see Kingsport supporting two just fine but three no.
Mall

Clinton, SC

#16 Jun 18, 2012
I really think it will depend on the type of theaters (IMAX or not) plus the cost of the movie theater. As I stated earlier, the mall is going to become more of a Traders Village mall if anchor stores do not move in to occupy space. You do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be mean or ugly but I believe the movie place in the mall will attract people that may not be upstanding citizens to some people. If this movie place has a bar, bowling, etc., patrons may not chose to visit such an establishment that may not be family friendly overva period if time. At the beginning, I believe it will be successful but as time progresses, I curious to see what type of people will be regular visitors.

I believe Kingsport needs another bowling alley. Only having one makes it difficult to bowl with leagues bowling almost every night. If you decide to bowl, you gave to wait do late to bowl.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jun 18, 2012
From what I've seen the bowling alley in the mall will be very nice and since the other bowling alley is right next to mall I'd look for the one outside the mall to close down. Bowling just isn't that popular anymore and I can't see both of them making it especially since the other one is literally right in the mall's parking lot almost.

I think the theater will do well but what I'm afraid of is tenants still leaving including the larger anchors going somewhere else in Kingsport. The mall can't survive on one threater and with nothing else in it. I could still see JCP and Belk moving to a new and larger building over at Heritage Point and let's face it Sears will be closed eventually. Then this mall literally has no anchor stores and just an entertainment complex as its only attraction.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#18 Jun 18, 2012
I agree and never considered the type of people. That will make an impact in one way or another. I think having an IMAX will be a large attraction for the mall, but I don't understand how marquee who has been in Kingsport for 10 or more years, building a new theater, didn't get offered the $700,000 or more in tax help for the IMAX.
It was given to a Florida company who hasn't supported Kingsport. Don't get me wrong, franks deal looks good and I'm glad there on there way, but it seems like Kingsport would want to help the businesses who are here, not support the competition to move in. It seems that anyone who would want to invest 7 or 8 mill might think twice before investing here.
Daniel D

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jun 18, 2012
Marquee wanted out of the mall, they had no desire to stay in the mall and they've been waiting for a couple of years now for the lease to run out so they could go to another location. Most likely I'm sure they were offered incentives to stay in the mall but Marquee was dead set on leaving the mall. Which I can't blame them. That mall is small, ran down, and its in bad condition. It's changed hands and management severel times due to nobody wanting it. Marquee was just smart enough to see the writing on the wall and wanted out.
Mall

Lexington, SC

#20 Jun 19, 2012
So, what do you thing the Mall needs to do? I really don't know any anchor stores they can recruit to take over the old Belks Hone Store.

Rumor has been a food court would be coming for years but that has been a bust.
Development

Cleveland, TN

#21 Jun 19, 2012
The old belks was going to be the bowling alley, lazer tag in the old theater with a bar, then new 12 screen outside. No national brand would consider the mall even for free rent if it looks like it does now. Living in Kingsport, I was excited when the first announcement was made for a full remodel, but now, like Daniel mentioned, malls are a thing of the past. Business models have changed and nobody wants to pay for all that extra space to heat, cool, maintain, and insure for no reason. If someone offered to pay 12 dollars per square foot rent new, it could be done. Most malls start in the 24 dollar range and go up. By the look of the vacant areas of the mall, I'm sure they would take 10. But by taking 10, the value of the mall is to cheep to attract good stores. I unfortunately feel like the mall is only two or three years from going under. This is why I have a slight problem with the city giving money to the thing. It's not going to spur anything to keep the doors open and if the anchors leave to Taylor's project, which they will, the mall will go under with the 700000 in taxes that could have went to a better project. Sorry for the long winded answer but no, I don't see the mall being able to pull out of there problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wannabe "bands" and "singers" in Kingsport 10 min lol 1
sun tan city warning (May '11) 18 min Lol 150
Fugitives concert tickets 2 hr Johny Ringo 3
Interesting George W. Bush was the last Preside... 5 hr I know dats right 13
What kind of drug screening does rj corman use 5 hr I know dats right 4
Kim Kardashian 5 hr I know dats right 4
Who Has The Worst Fast Food? 14 hr kim kardashian 4

Kingsport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance