New Traffic Lights Could Change Commu...

New Traffic Lights Could Change Commute On 11W

There are 23 comments on the WCYB story from Feb 9, 2012, titled New Traffic Lights Could Change Commute On 11W. In it, WCYB reports that:

Seventeen new traffic lights have been installed in one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the Tri-Cities. The traffic light on Highway 11W is the first light Mount Carmel has ever installed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCYB.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mehh

Strawberry Plains, TN

#2 Feb 11, 2012
Im waiting see the number of wrecks they cause.
CECE

Bluff City, TN

#3 Feb 17, 2012
Instead of Mt Carmel putting up a new one, Church Hill should be doing something about the traffic problem at Carter Trent Funeral Home and the cheerleading place in front of Food Lion. I'm surprised no one has been killed or badly hurt. Needs to be a frontage road.
Schnackie

Bristol, TN

#4 Feb 17, 2012
Glad to see MC step up and put up some lights here. There have been MANY accidents and deaths at this intersection. Now, if they had any common sense, they'd block off all other 11W entrances and funnel all traffic thru those lights.
Schnackie

Kingsport, TN

#7 Feb 17, 2012
shazbotbaru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but if they had any sense, they'd train the drivers better, or get them OLD ones that cant see over the dashboard off the roads and raise the license age to 30..keep the stupid kids off the road..test all drivers over the age of 65, with medical records clear every year..oh and check for illegals while the're at it too...hmmmmmm...I'm off my soapbox now...Y'all go back to your nascar and budweiser bubba!!!!!
Yeah, ok.. that'll work. It would be a great idea to put a traffic camera at the Silver Lake/11W intersection too. Rarely ever, while sitting there waiting for the light to change you don't see some knucklehead barrel thru the red. Train the drivers, indeed.... They don't call it 'Bloody 11W' for nothing... NASCAR? Bubba? You're stereotyping the wrong hombre....
Worker

Hoffman Forest, NC

#8 Feb 23, 2012
The new traffic light does nothing but cause more congestion from there to walmart and back. Like they really needed that light. I'd say the city or county had so much money they needed to spend from the yearly grants they get from the state before the end of the quarter or they would not receive that same amount next year.

That new traffic light was not needed just like those roundabouts in kingsport that no one hardly yields to. If people would put their phones down and pay attention to what they are doing there wouldn't be any traffic problems. Instead you have people with phones stuck to their heads in the left lane going 40 and the elderly person in right lane going 40 and neither one will go on. So you have both lanes packed then you have to stop at all the traffic lights in between. I am on the road every morning at 6am and since the new traffic light it is crowded at 6am all the way through Allendale on up.
Worker

Hoffman Forest, NC

#9 Feb 23, 2012
Schnackie wrote:
Glad to see MC step up and put up some lights here. There have been MANY accidents and deaths at this intersection. Now, if they had any common sense, they'd block off all other 11W entrances and funnel all traffic thru those lights.
How about drivers use common sense when driving then we wouldn't need all the lights and hand holding. I guess those text messages and phone calls are very important while driving in congested traffic. Its not only teenagers on their phones while driving. 8 out of every 10 cars on the highway at any time each driver will be using their phones. I think alot of people just hold it up to their head to look cool or something? Same thing early in the mornings. Who are you people talking to that early anyways?

The smart phone used by the dumbass behind the wheel.
voice of reason

Kingsport, TN

#11 Mar 2, 2012
They have made a new bench mark on the dumbometer with this one. Wonder who got the kick back this time?
Larry Falana

Johnson City, TN

#13 Mar 3, 2012
You can tell that none of these people that like the traffic light have ever lived on or near Hammond Avenue. Just try and pull out of there without a light. It is very dangerous. So you have to stop for a few minutes at a red light. That is all you have to bitch about? This light will save lives. I do not no of one person that lives in M.C. that doesn't like the light.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#15 Mar 7, 2012
shazbotbaru wrote:
<quoted text>
LARRY, LARRY, LARRY!!!! CANT YOU READ??? I said and I quote again for you idiots with a 3rd grade education, """"HOW CAN ANYONE TURN LEFT FROM 11W AT THIS INTERSECTION""" "???? WHAT STUPID IDIOT DESIGNED THIS DUMBA$$'D CORNER???? ANE ALSO, NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE CARE ABOUT MT CAMEL ANYWAY..NOTHIN THERE BUT NOTHIN...nuff said...designers must have gone to D-B HIGH....
IF YOU DON'T CARE WHY YOU ON HERE SCREAMING ABOUT IT
shazbotbaru

Lebanon, VA

#16 Mar 7, 2012
moonshinegrrl420 wrote:
<quoted text>
IF YOU DON'T CARE WHY YOU ON HERE SCREAMING ABOUT IT
OH,but Ido care..I've almost been hit in the rear end a few times since that dumbass'd light was put in..there's been a few who've tried to turn left there too, then sped up, almost getting hit..yeah, I care..I bought a brand new car and dont want some dumbass smackin it...YEAH, I CARE that no one gets hurt there..
Duh

Jefferson City, TN

#17 Mar 15, 2012
shazbotbaru wrote:
<quoted text>
OH,but Ido care..I've almost been hit in the rear end a few times since that dumbass'd light was put in..there's been a few who've tried to turn left there too, then sped up, almost getting hit..yeah, I care..I bought a brand new car and dont want some dumbass smackin it...YEAH, I CARE that no one gets hurt there..
Just wondering outloud, but...you aren't suppose to turn left from 11w into Hammond, are you? Thought I read in paper that was reaon there wasn't a turn lane at the light.

Now that my friend, is real smarts...a redlight that you can't turn left into the business district. Guess MC businesses doesnt need my money.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2012
There are 3 chances to turn left onto Main St before one gets to Hammond Av
shazbotbaru

United States

#19 Mar 16, 2012
moonshinegrrl420 wrote:
Tell that to someone who's never been here before and is trying to get to someplace important...OH WAIT!!! We're talking MC...oh hell..aint nothin important there worth turning into any way..what the hell was I thinking?? gee..Guess I just dont think like the little people...
hmmm

Elizabethton, TN

#20 Mar 16, 2012
shazbotbaru wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to someone who's never been here before and is trying to get to someplace important...OH WAIT!!! We're talking MC...oh hell..aint nothin important there worth turning into any way..what the hell was I thinking?? gee..Guess I just dont think like the little people...
For someone who doesn't care anything at all about Mt Carmel you sure are obsessed with it....
Duh

Jefferson City, TN

#21 Mar 16, 2012
moonshinegrrl420 wrote:
True. however, most redlights(especially newly installed) one would think would have a lane and signal designated to turn left from.

Just doesn't make sense. All left turns into MC are "at risk". to me, just seems the planners thought this one through.
Mtount Carmel resident

Kingsport, TN

#22 Mar 19, 2012
A redlight has been long overdue.
It was almost impossible to cross 11W without having an accident due to the amount of "drive through" traffic. Meaning people communiting from Kingsport to Rogersville or anywhere in between with no intentions of even stopping in Mount Carmel.
At times I have waited longer trying to cross 11W than what I would wait at the new red light.
What I like about it is, it creates a gap in traffic so people can cross 11W safety.
John McClane

Alpharetta, GA

#23 May 8, 2012
Larry Falana wrote:
You can tell that none of these people that like the traffic light have ever lived on or near Hammond Avenue. Just try and pull out of there without a light. It is very dangerous. So you have to stop for a few minutes at a red light. That is all you have to bitch about? This light will save lives. I do not no of one person that lives in M.C. that doesn't like the light.
I lived on Hammond Avenue for 3 years. Not once did I ever have a problem pulling out onto 11-W here. Now, I get to stop for this ridiculous 2-way dependent red light for no good reason whatsoever. You have the same 4-way stops right next to the highway all down through this area so why don't we just put red lights at every one of these??

You must not know many people who live in Mount Carmel. I don't know of one person who likes it, except you.
John McClane

Alpharetta, GA

#24 May 8, 2012
Mtount Carmel resident wrote:
A redlight has been long overdue.
It was almost impossible to cross 11W without having an accident due to the amount of "drive through" traffic. Meaning people communiting from Kingsport to Rogersville or anywhere in between with no intentions of even stopping in Mount Carmel.
At times I have waited longer trying to cross 11W than what I would wait at the new red light.
What I like about it is, it creates a gap in traffic so people can cross 11W safety.
As I just asked another poster, why are we not installing red lights like this at every 4-way stop that sits right next to the highway all through this area of town?
Jelly

Ringgold, GA

#25 May 10, 2012
I'm just surprised to see so many ghosts coming out of the graveyard.(Well, not "see" exactly.) But every time the light stops me on 11W, sure enough it gives the green to the graveyard without a single car in sight coming from there. Sure am glad I'm not sitting there burning gas for nothing. Got to keep my deceased family members safe!
bloody 11 w

United States

#26 Mar 28, 2013
I think it's a money racket for one and the other reason for the traffic lites is to discourage tractor trailer traffic from I 26 in Kingsport to Corbin ky and u.s. 25e to I 75 if you look on a map from Jacksonville fl to Chicago Illinois or Detroit mi 26 11w 25e i75 are the best direct route but they would rather all the trucks go down 81 off 26 to exit 23 and 11e to morristown and 25 e north witch is stupid becouse that's takeing away business and revinue from Kingsport and rogersville plus it's a lot quicker too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trans-gendered Bathroom equality nonsense 17 hr southern jock 23
Chasity Martin 20 hr Her boyfriend 12
Flooding in kingsport!!! Thu rush limbaugh 4
Robots to replace minimum wage workers at Mcdon... Thu rush limbaugh 5
The ONLY Great Americans Thu Anne Tietroll 6
Gators waitress with burn scars? Thu Porrus Poope 2
cross dresssing Wed crossed dresser 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingsport Mortgages