Holston Ammunition Workers

Holston Ammunition Workers

There are 8 comments on the WCYB-TV story from Jun 4, 2007, titled Holston Ammunition Workers. In it, WCYB-TV reports that:

A U.S. Senator and a Congressman have taken up the cause of some Kingsport workers who say they are owed more than three million dollars in back-pay. A U.S. SENATOR AND A CONGRESSMAN HAVE TAKEN UP THE CAUSE OF ... via WCYB-TV

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCYB-TV.

Concerned Citizen

Kingsport, TN

#1 Jun 8, 2007
The Department of Labor must enforce the law of the land at Holston Army Ammunition Plant! The Service Contract Act was established in 1965. Wackenhut has no excuse for not paying it's workers this money that they've rightfully earned ! My question is, if Wackenhut didn't pay it's workers the SCA wages, where did the money go ? My opinion, that money would be put to better use by the workers that live here in the community instead of lining the pockets of what appears to be corrupt company officials. DOL it's time to enforce the law ! Wackenhut it's time to hand over the money to it's rightful owners! You took that money just the same if you had picked their pockets !
kingsport resident

United States

#2 Jun 10, 2007
Its also funny that it was out of state politicians that got the ball rolling on this, our own legislators didnt even make an effort to help their own constiuents.

I wonder how much of that diverted money ended up in local politicians pockets.
Concerned Citizen

Ringgold, GA

#3 Jun 16, 2007
I generally think that the politicians, those here and in Washington, seriously think that the "average Joe" doesn't have the good sense to get in out of the rain. They've got their minds set to the notion of "Letting us eat cake". Our Department of Labor has clearly been inept in this case. Putting it plainly their about as useful as a football bat. I believe there is a big barrel located in a dark corner of the DOL's Headquarters, full of fish hooks, crooked politicians, rascals and red tape. It's just to bad that Tar & Feathering has gone out of style! Can I get a Amen ?
Native

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 15, 2007
Kingsport:

If someone ripped off 3 million dollars out of a bank in downtown area, and you knew who done it, and where they are at, Would you remain as silent as you have on this issue?
That's exactly what this foreign owned company has done, and is doing to it's workers right here in Kingsport at Holston Army Ammunition Plant. The Department of the Army has sided with us, along with several Senators & Congressmen! The Service Contract Act was established in (1965) 42 years ago to protect American workers! Wackenhut your parking meter has expired! Ignorance of the law is no excuse!
Native

Knoxville, TN

#5 Aug 17, 2007
The Department of Labor has finally answered the call and entered the Wackenhut Back Pay for employees fray ! This has been going on since 1999 and it's about time. Stay Tuned.....
Native

Knoxville, TN

#6 Sep 1, 2007
X employee of WSI

Johnson City, TN

#7 Dec 7, 2007
I worked at this place when BAE took over, and worked for 3 years after the contract change. I got my check in the mail on tuesday. They hit my check for approx 1/3 rd of it for health and benefits, or something like that. I asked a present employee what was the explination for this deduction. They said that since I had their health insurance when I worked there, that they had the right to get a percent of this back pay. They hit my check for approx.$1000 for each year that I worked there. I don't think that was right of them to take my money for the benefit that they offered to me. I think that HSAAP needs a new security contractor and say Goodbye to WSI.
Native

Johnson City, TN

#8 Dec 8, 2007
As a Taxpayer and a citizen of this country. I think it is an outrage, That the suggestion was made in the Times-News that our Department of the Army must foot the bill! Wackenhut has not acted in a responsible way to it's employees for holding & hiding money that rightfully was due to it's employees ! You can't make me believe that Wackenhut was not aware of the McNamara- O'Hara SCA Act of 1965. Law for over 40 years ! I echo the statement that WACKENHUT MUST GO !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Dats" gets punched, runs, cries like a baby 11 min db grad 2
"Kim" and "Dats" owe the City of Kingsport quit... 8 hr Cassie 10
Toni Pope 12 hr reader 10
For all you wanna be's 15 hr southern jock 5
Kim and Dats 16 hr Johny Ringo 5
A serious question for "Dats" 20 hr I know dats right 11
For all the Hillbillies headed down to Myrtle B... 22 hr TrashDragon 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingsport Mortgages