The homeless woman who DOES NOT panhandle at Wal-Mart plaza

Posted in the Kingsland Forum

Anon

Kingsland, GA

#1 Nov 23, 2012
You've probably seen the strategically placed homeless panhandlers who ask for food and gas money. As an employee of one of the plaza shops you may not realize that these people are spending this money on lottery tickets, booze, and cigarettes. Or maybe you do, it does fit the stereotype. Some of them aren't truly homeless. I don't want to put ALL of them in this category though; it is just something I've witnessed a couple of them do.

What you probably don't see is the elderly black lady (in her 50's I'd say) who sits in her car most of the day. She has no sign, doesn't ambush people for sympathy cash, and has a flat tire on her car. I believe she has been out there for at least 2-3 weeks now.

I have no idea how to help this person with better living arrangements, but I figured if you happen to pass though and feel the need to help someone less fortunate then ignore the ones with the signs and look for a silver/gray compact car with a towel in one of the rear windows. Last time I saw her she was in the row near the Wasabi/Radio Shack area. I brought her out some food on Thanksgiving and the look on her face and appreciation in her voice was very genuine.

I'd rather help a person who isn't begging for a handout and may be unable to find good employment due to her age.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#2 Nov 24, 2012
What really pisses me off is that Walmart makes no effort whatsoever to vet any of the scam artists who set up at their front doors pretending to represent legitimate charities.

The one that REALLY chaps my ass is the van that comes by periodically and deposits four drunken bums dressed in cheap "costume" cammies and boots and pretending to be veterans collecting for veterans.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#3 Nov 24, 2012
Anon wrote:
You've probably seen the strategically placed homeless panhandlers who ask for food and gas money. As an employee of one of the plaza shops you may not realize that these people are spending this money on lottery tickets, booze, and cigarettes. Or maybe you do, it does fit the stereotype. Some of them aren't truly homeless. I don't want to put ALL of them in this category though; it is just something I've witnessed a couple of them do.
What you probably don't see is the elderly black lady (in her 50's I'd say) who sits in her car most of the day. She has no sign, doesn't ambush people for sympathy cash, and has a flat tire on her car. I believe she has been out there for at least 2-3 weeks now.
I have no idea how to help this person with better living arrangements, but I figured if you happen to pass though and feel the need to help someone less fortunate then ignore the ones with the signs and look for a silver/gray compact car with a towel in one of the rear windows. Last time I saw her she was in the row near the Wasabi/Radio Shack area. I brought her out some food on Thanksgiving and the look on her face and appreciation in her voice was very genuine.
I'd rather help a person who isn't begging for a handout and may be unable to find good employment due to her age.
Put Rev. James Ham on the case. That is all she needs.
tired

Hollywood, FL

#4 Nov 25, 2012
I work near there and one women who drives the old motor home parked at the end near the cleaners downs all get money on lottery tickets. The other day she left the scratched losers laying in the parking lot, a coworker and I picked them up and decided to count them. Their was 165 dollars worth of tickets. Please don't give this lady money.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#5 Nov 25, 2012
Okay, give her food and a referral to social services and psychiatric intervention.

Mental illnes and /or low IQ are the roots of homelessness.
George

United States

#6 Nov 25, 2012
Moreno Jay wrote:
Okay, give her food and a referral to social services and psychiatric intervention.
Mental illnes and /or low IQ are the roots of homelessness.
Drugs and Alcohol
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#7 Dec 25, 2012
Wal-Mart does not care about the homeless people being on their property as long as they are not causing havoc or being aggressive. They are fine with letting people sit on the corner with a sign. I have talked to several SMPD officers about this.

If it irritates you to think that they (the homeless) might be spending the money on something YOU feel they shouldn't be, then don't give them money.
Sabrina Mikals

Jacksonville, FL

#8 Dec 31, 2012
Anon wrote:
50's is not elderly....ok now I will go back and continue reading...could not get past that! ;0)
Ann

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Jan 14, 2013
I have not seen this woman yall are talking about,if I do I will give her something to eat and drink. It is so sad that people will steal food and money from people when they don"t use it like they should,they buy booze or cigarettes with the money people give them. It makes people not give anything to those who need it.
Anon1

Herndon, PA

#10 Jan 14, 2013
I know exactly who you are talking about.. she's been living in her car for a couple of months and spends most of her days sitting inside walmart on the bench.. in fact me and a friend of mine tried to help her with her flat tire and she refused the help.. We noticed that she was hanging around walmart and became friendly with her.. after walking past her car and seeing she had a flat we told the woman that we was gonna have my friends husband change it for her she said ok but her friend might be coming to help.. when my friends husband arrived she refused the help and insisted that one of her friends was still coming.. after a couple of days and still seeing her at walmart we asked again if she needed anything at all.. she then became very defensive and said no.. she told us she was not homeless and owned a house on harriets bluff.. seeing that she didn't want to be bothered we just left her alone.. still see her just about everyday.. she has money she is always eating at subway or buying stuff at walmart.. but you can definitely tell she is homeless.. she is starting to smell and just sits in her car all day.. I feel really bad because she seems really sweet but I guess is just embrassed of her situation...

As for the other homeless people that stand outside of walmart.. seems like there is a different one everyday.. the lady in the camper is definitely a scam artist.. always spending money on scratch tickets.. giving people sob stories.. and when they buy her stuff from walmart she walks right back in and returns it.. the main thing I hate is how she pawns her dog off.. but whatever I feel bad for the homeless I always wonder how they got in this situation and try to remember they are someones son or daughter or mother or father

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans exonerate everyone on Benghazi 3 hr hard corps 24
Lifting the Cuban Embargo Good for St Marys Port 4 hr Casa Malecon Habana 20
St Marys Employess Christmas Bonus 5 hr smh2 8
Public not interested in district voting 5 hr largo 31
JDA vs Private Business 5 hr Bob 8
School busses on private roads. Is it legal? 9 hr Porky Bok Choy 1
The Future of St. Marys 18 hr Bob 7
Kingsland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kingsland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kingsland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kingsland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:25 am PST

NFL10:25AM
Injury roundup: Julio Jones questionable against Saints
NBC Sports 1:39 PM
Young Jaguars piecing together key building blocks - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:53 AM
Julio Jones' availability hinges on pre-game workout, again
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
Bleacher Report10:16 AM
Complete Preview for Saints vs. Falcons