First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#61 Dec 24, 2012
I love me some Sonny's.

But I do miss Moody's. Back in the mid 80's we used to call in 20 - 25 pork plates from the base and someone would drive to pick them up. That was delicious BBQ and the sauce was the best ever. On rare occasions we would drive to the shack and eat in the back room, fighting off the flies.

Mrs. Moody was around then. After they both passed on, their daughter tried to make a go of it after a couple of years. I don't know if it didn't work because she made a subtle change to the sauce (it just wasn't quite the same - I think she put cinnamon in it) or her no count boy friend had his hand in the till.

I'm guessing it was a little of both. You could just look at her boy friend and tell he wasn't any good.

R.I.P. Mr. and Mrs. Moody. Elizabeth Gray and Mary O both did a great paintings of Moody's BBQ.
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#62 Dec 24, 2012
jay, moodys may had been 3rd world conditions but if he had AUCE you would be in line.
Anon

Herndon, PA

#63 Dec 24, 2012
spashel Ed wrote:
I love me some Sonny's.
But I do miss Moody's. Back in the mid 80's we used to call in 20 - 25 pork plates from the base and someone would drive to pick them up. That was delicious BBQ and the sauce was the best ever. On rare occasions we would drive to the shack and eat in the back room, fighting off the flies.
Mrs. Moody was around then. After they both passed on, their daughter tried to make a go of it after a couple of years. I don't know if it didn't work because she made a subtle change to the sauce (it just wasn't quite the same - I think she put cinnamon in it) or her no count boy friend had his hand in the till.
I'm guessing it was a little of both. You could just look at her boy friend and tell he wasn't any good.
R.I.P. Mr. and Mrs. Moody. Elizabeth Gray and Mary O both did a great paintings of Moody's BBQ.
I remember that back room. So dark and smoky that you could hardly see who was sitting at the plank table with you, but it sure smelled good. First time there, I asked Mrs. Moody what sides came with the pork and she gave me 2 slices of white bread, no butter. If you wanted something to drink with the meal, you stopped on the way and bought a six-pack. I never did go back after the Moodys died. There was no way it could be the same.
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#64 Dec 24, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember that back room. So dark and smoky that you could hardly see who was sitting at the plank table with you, but it sure smelled good. First time there, I asked Mrs. Moody what sides came with the pork and she gave me 2 slices of white bread, no butter. If you wanted something to drink with the meal, you stopped on the way and bought a six-pack. I never did go back after the Moodys died. There was no way it could be the same.
it was never the same, mr. moody told my dad the same thin you had bread on 1 side and bread on the other. later on he did carry ckes and chips
On the fly

Woodbine, GA

#65 Dec 27, 2012
Clayton BBQ is called Harry's he is still there looking to move to new building don,t know the hold up
not a fan

Kingsland, GA

#66 Dec 31, 2012
Great decor! Barbque was adequate....macoroni and cheese was awful! Very overpriced!! We won't be going back.
beer maker

United States

#67 Dec 31, 2012
Cook my boston butts on a Big Green Egg. Rub it down with Lawry's seasoned salt and slow cook for 14 hours or so.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#68 Dec 31, 2012
not a fan wrote:
Great decor! Barbque was adequate....macoroni and cheese was awful! Very overpriced!! We won't be going back.

Thanks. That's about what I figured. Saved me a trip.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#69 Jan 1, 2013
Passed by there late this afternoon and early this evening. They are not exactly knockin' 'em dead.
Really

Kingsland, GA

#70 Feb 11, 2013
Tick...Tick...Tick. Unless they have a huge walk-in (literally) customer base their time is running out.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#71 Feb 13, 2013
I see that they have an ad in today's T&G announcing they now serve beer and wine.

With luck,that might be the new in spot for young, cruising, drunks, a position currently held by Mi Casa. That usually lasts about 6 months before the hip spot changes.

I give them through the end of their current lease, maximum.
Really

Kingsland, GA

#72 Feb 13, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
I see that they have an ad in today's T&G announcing they now serve beer and wine.
With luck,that might be the new in spot for young, cruising, drunks, a position currently held by Mi Casa. That usually lasts about 6 months before the hip spot changes.
I give them through the end of their current lease, maximum.
I agree with their doors shutting sooner than later.
All the booze in the world won't make it look like their portions are larger and their prices smaller.
Table

Madison, WI

#73 Feb 14, 2013
Ate there tonight. Price & portions were good, had to get a to go box. Sweet Tea was very good. Both Pork & Beef Brisket were very good. They had a nice crowd also.
Dana

Jacksonville, FL

#74 Feb 14, 2013
Did Bono's by Costco last night.Potion of brisket was smaller,coleslaw wasn't as good and about a buck more per person.Ate at Willies today,coleslaw was great,bread pudding was terrific,portions were good.The sauces are the same as Willies gets their sauces from Bonos.I'll stick to Willies.
duck and cover

Saint Marys, GA

#75 Feb 18, 2013
Well...."depends", no not what jay wears but how well ones taste is for local barbeque compared to real barbeque in N.C. Memphis, Chicago, St Louis or TEXAS.Sadly this smoked stuff around here "just don't get it".........

“It's comong.”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#76 May 22, 2013
Had a BBQ pork sandwich. It was good. The cole slaw was not one I would put on the sandwich (quite soggy). The baked beans were fine but definitely not home made. So on BBQ taste scale it only gets a 5. That does not mean I will not go again.
Note to owner: Buy some cole slaw from Winn Dixie Deli. That is a pretty good Slaw for BBQ.

Since: Oct 12

Seals

#77 May 23, 2013
Worth a try.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#78 May 23, 2013
Bogus Crowbait wrote:
Worth a try.
With a Church Lady rating of 5 on what I assume is a 10 scale?

Reminds me of that other SNL skit - Lowered Expectations.:-)
Tom

Saint Marys, GA

#79 May 24, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
With a Church Lady rating of 5 on what I assume is a 10 scale?
Reminds me of that other SNL skit - Lowered Expectations.:-)
Apparently the coleslaw and beans were not up to par. I have not been there yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans exonerate everyone on Benghazi 2 hr hard corps 24
Lifting the Cuban Embargo Good for St Marys Port 3 hr Casa Malecon Habana 20
St Marys Employess Christmas Bonus 4 hr smh2 8
Public not interested in district voting 5 hr largo 31
JDA vs Private Business 5 hr Bob 8
School busses on private roads. Is it legal? 9 hr Porky Bok Choy 1
The Future of St. Marys 17 hr Bob 7
Kingsland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kingsland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kingsland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kingsland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:25 am PST

NFL10:25AM
Injury roundup: Julio Jones questionable against Saints
NBC Sports 1:39 PM
Young Jaguars piecing together key building blocks - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:53 AM
Julio Jones' availability hinges on pre-game workout, again
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
Bleacher Report10:16 AM
Complete Preview for Saints vs. Falcons