“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#41 Dec 19, 2012
Anon wrote:
Back to the subject, not Jay. The standing in line to order is not so great because of the price you pay and the time it takes. It is expensive for what you get. The BBQ pork was okay. I wouldn't have a craving for it. I agree with the other post that it is expensive for what you get. An order of onion rings for $4.50 is an indication of the overly expensive items. I wish all businesses the best of luck and hope this one can survive. It may be that the over head requires the price.
Thanks.

The ordering at the counter did it for me.

Speaking of a sucky ordering-at-the-counter experience, Panera Bread is the absolute worst. Complete bedlam. Like cattle in a loading chute. Sucks.

Moreover, the sandwich ratio of thick bread to fillings is ridiculously high. And yet, they are quite successful? Go figure.
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#42 Dec 19, 2012
the place in claxton was harveys ole south bbq.my dad loved it.he would buy the sauce from moody and buy the meat from harveys
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#43 Dec 19, 2012
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. East side of Hwy 17 north of Kingsland.
Every time I went by there, hoping to try it, it appeared to be closed - and I'm talking from back in August of 1993.
mr.moody bought only so much butts on wed. cooked them all day thurs. opened friday at 11 until he sold out.Ive known on some saturdays he never opened during deer season because he was sold out. he told a few of men oneday Kraft food offered him 2 million dollars for his sauce but he would not be able to keep making it.
he turned it down

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#44 Dec 19, 2012
on the take wrote:
the place in claxton was harveys ole south bbq.my dad loved it.he would buy the sauce from moody and buy the meat from harveys
Exactly. Thanks. They had a really cool, humongous, high-tech, stainless steel smoker. Did you ever check that thing out?
Must have cost them a fortune. Do you know if they are still in business?

I think some of their wood was pecan. No shortage of that around Claxton. Jack's here in Camden uses some pecan wood.
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#45 Dec 19, 2012
the kids took it over for a while but dont know if its stll open now.
I ate there about 2 yrs ago and not as good.Taste about like BONOS
beer maker

West Palm Beach, FL

#46 Dec 19, 2012
Southern Soul BBQ on ST. Simons is very good!
on the take

Dornsife, PA

#47 Dec 20, 2012
beer maker wrote:
Southern Soul BBQ on ST. Simons is very good!
ate there twice both times was to much fat in sandwich.taste was good but meat was fatty
beer maker

Pompano Beach, FL

#48 Dec 20, 2012
on the take wrote:
<quoted text>
ate there twice both times was to much fat in sandwich.taste was good but meat was fatty

Been there three or four times and it was not that way....maybe you just had bad luck or my tolerance for fat is higher....

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#49 Dec 20, 2012
on the take wrote:
the kids took it over for a while but dont know if its stll open now.
I ate there about 2 yrs ago and not as good.Taste about like BONOS
You know, sadly, that is more often than not the case.

Wtiness the decline of Carey Hilliards after Carey died in a plane crash flying back to Savannah from his Charleston locations.

Carey's life was heavily insured.(I know because most was through the general agency where I was the brokerage manager, so don't even go there,A-holes.)

The kids almost immediately all bought their own cigar boats, etc.
The stores have been mediocre at best ever since the originator died in that crash.

Look at what happened to Twin Oaks in Brunswick. The 'new" owners(years ago now) almost immediately bricked up a perfectly good indoor, brick pit, went to outdoor portable smoked, and immediately blew away all good will value with a shitty product.

Yeah, successful succession in a family run restuarant is more the exception than the rule for sure.

A notable exception is Johnny Harris' Restaurant in Savannah.

on the take

Dornsife, PA

#50 Dec 20, 2012
Twin Oaks had the best fries back in the 80's
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#51 Dec 20, 2012
on the take wrote:
Twin Oaks had the best fries back in the 80's
I still go there every chance for the battered fries. I don't know of another place that even comes close to those fries. Never had better.
cotton clean

Kingsland, GA

#52 Dec 21, 2012
Moreno Jay wrote:
Well, it looks like they may open soon.
Here's their menu.
http://www.williejewells.com/
I see they have a good bit of outdoor seating. I sure hope they have some indoor seats. I don't do outdoor dining. Hell, even Bedouins eat in their tents,cavemen in their caves, etc.
Has anyone heard an opening date?
( OVER PRICED)

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#53 Dec 21, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>I still go there every chance for the battered fries. I don't know of another place that even comes close to those fries. Never had better.
Yeah, they were good. I'm pretty sure that was the first place I had ever heard of or had battered fires.

That old fella that tended the pit with that two pronged, customized, pitch fork really knew his barbecue.
anon

Herndon, PA

#54 Dec 22, 2012
Jaytard has spoken
Jolly Roger

Woodbine, GA

#55 Dec 23, 2012
Twin Oaks is still damn good. Don't listen to that Dumbass Moreno, he don't know wtf he speaks of. His mind tends to wander, and he just rolls along for the ride.

“It's comong.”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#56 Dec 23, 2012
I've always liked Twin Oaks. If they only would slightly grill the buns so things don't become a mess. Is it still in business?

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#57 Dec 23, 2012
Jolly Roger wrote:
Twin Oaks is still damn good. Don't listen to that Dumbass Moreno, he don't know wtf he speaks of. His mind tends to wander, and he just rolls along for the ride.
If it is, you can bet it has changed ownership yet again.

I noticed the other day that the old Ga Pig Barbecue shack at Exit 29 looks like it is about to fall down. How those follks stayed open with a 6 inch gap between the bottom of the front door and the floor always amazed me.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#58 Dec 23, 2012
Oh, and the old fellow at Exit 29 is not only back but he's got himself a new sympathy dog.
Anon

Herndon, PA

#59 Dec 23, 2012
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is, you can bet it has changed ownership yet again.
I noticed the other day that the old Ga Pig Barbecue shack at Exit 29 looks like it is about to fall down. How those follks stayed open with a 6 inch gap between the bottom of the front door and the floor always amazed me.
Then you would have been totally amazed by the upscale accomidations at Moody's.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

#60 Dec 23, 2012
Yeah, I've never left Georgia. I'm sure I would be shocked by Third World conditions.

"accommodations" by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 min Synergy 55,698
Moreno billboard on Kings Bay Rd over Shooters. 15 min Slick 23
Candidates must kiss Mother Earth Kearn's Green... 21 min Bob 8
Clueless Republicans again 32 min CASA de Kingsland 4
Early voting press release. 50 min Jay Moreno 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 15 hr JayPo 2,056
atv park (Sep '08) Sat Tweeter83 11
•••
•••

Kingsland Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Kingsland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Kingsland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kingsland