Pre-runoff candidates' forum on Augu...

Pre-runoff candidates' forum on August 4th.

Posted in the Kingsland Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#1 Jul 28, 2010
The truth

Phillips, ME

#2 Jul 28, 2010
I wonder if they will have as big a turnout as they did for the last couple they had at the Eagles?
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#4 Jul 29, 2010
Actually, the turn out was not bad - for 9:00 AM on a Saturday!! The one for the state candidates was packed.

Hopefully, all future events will be in the evening.
Cheeses

Dornsife, PA

#5 Aug 3, 2010
There are two conflicting reports as to where the run-off forum will be held on Aug 4. Which is correct? 1) Rec Ctr or 2) Cty annex on Gross (per republican web site).

I have yet to read anything in the paper one way or another. Anyone know what's going on?
Stanley

North Anson, ME

#6 Aug 3, 2010
Cheeses wrote:
There are two conflicting reports as to where the run-off forum will be held on Aug 4. Which is correct? 1) Rec Ctr or 2) Cty annex on Gross (per republican web site).
I have yet to read anything in the paper one way or another. Anyone know what's going on?
It's a secret, we don't want Jay there.
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#7 Aug 3, 2010
Oops! That was my error. It is at the County Annex and not the Rec Center. Mea culpa.
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#8 Aug 3, 2010
Response

Saint Simons Island, GA

#9 Aug 4, 2010
I really hope Jay does attend. The bloggersphere needs a accurate, un-bias write up about this very important debate.

For instance: Both candidate were asked.....Hill replied with ..... Spencer replied with....

So that those who cannot attend know with accuracy what each candidates position on issues really are.

Response

Saint Simons Island, GA

#10 Aug 4, 2010
Honestly I can't imagine Cecily actually showing up. She will surely have a last minute cancellation. My reason for saying this is although she has held the title of State Representative for 8 years, there is quite frankly no substance to her. Everywhere I've every been and she spoke she had a surrogate to answer the questions.

For her to sit before her constituents and answer questions such as: Why did you side with the Georgia Power lobbyist against the taxpayers? Why did you submit someone elses bill as legislation for Camden County when the bill did'nt cover our needs?
The Alapaha Insider

Saint Marys, GA

#11 Aug 4, 2010
It's easy to criticize one's record when you have none of your own! It's easy to form a platform when you have someone from Savannah, Atlanta, or Brunswick does it for you! It's easy to claim you are the answer when you've never had to answer for any of your actions! It's easy to hop on a fad and ride the wave of voters emotions! It's a whole lot tough to legislate and govern and someone with zero experience is not the answer. Stop living the Alapaha Lie and VOTE HILL !!!!!
Response

Saint Simons Island, GA

#12 Aug 4, 2010
How did your candidate do tonight?
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#13 Aug 4, 2010
Okay, I've finished shopping, taking the dog for his walk, and grabbing a bite to eat so I can tell y'all about the forum.

First of all, attendance was beyond anyone's wildest expectations. People were leaning on all the walls and sitting on most available floor space in the actual meeting room. The swinging doors were propped open for the standing room only overflow crowd out in the vestibule.

The format was different - and most agreed afterwards better - than the format usually used at these things. I'll publish the ground rules on my blog tomorrow.

I'll also try to recall some actual questions and answers tomorrow.

Hill, Spencer, and Zell showed. Clark was a no-show once again. All performed well.

Far and away, the most striking thing was Hills performance. She had looked old, tired, dazed and confused at her previous appearances - especially att he WWC forum. Tonight, she looked like someone at the cosmetics counter at Belks might have done her makeup. She looked five years younger and seemed rested. Most impressively, she was on her game. She knew what she had come to say and did.

Spencer had a bad case of laryngitis from too much speaking lately. He stayed on message and went on the attack repeatedly in rebuttal. Hoswever, Hill gave as good as she got. Moreover, Hill did a good job of stressing the experience thing.

However, I've yet to learn of anything that she has accomplished in 8 years that impressed me. Getting on scads of committees is not the same as producing any palpable benefits for constituents while on those committees.

On points, the round may have just barely gone to Hill, but I think Spencer will win the match on the 10th.

By the way, in the absence of Ed Clary who is out of town, Adam Jacobson did an excellent job as moderator in what I think was his first time at bat in that role.

It's a damend shame that we do not have a decent meeting place for these things, with a spund system, that does not cost an arm and a leg. The very first one I attended in 1994 was spoonsored by the local chapter of the NAACP and held in the auditorium / lunchroom of omn of the public schools. My memory fails me, but I think it was the old St. Marys Middle School.

Herb, I saw you there tonight. How come we can't do that now?
Miguel

Herndon, PA

#14 Aug 4, 2010
Jay Moreno wrote:
Okay, I've finished shopping, taking the dog for his walk, and grabbing a bite to eat so I can tell y'all about the forum.
First of all, attendance was beyond anyone's wildest expectations. People were leaning on all the walls and sitting on most available floor space in the actual meeting room. The swinging doors were propped open for the standing room only overflow crowd out in the vestibule.
The format was different - and most agreed afterwards better - than the format usually used at these things. I'll publish the ground rules on my blog tomorrow.
I'll also try to recall some actual questions and answers tomorrow.
Hill, Spencer, and Zell showed. Clark was a no-show once again. All performed well.
Far and away, the most striking thing was Hills performance. She had looked old, tired, dazed and confused at her previous appearances - especially att he WWC forum. Tonight, she looked like someone at the cosmetics counter at Belks might have done her makeup. She looked five years younger and seemed rested. Most impressively, she was on her game. She knew what she had come to say and did.
Spencer had a bad case of laryngitis from too much speaking lately. He stayed on message and went on the attack repeatedly in rebuttal. Hoswever, Hill gave as good as she got. Moreover, Hill did a good job of stressing the experience thing.
However, I've yet to learn of anything that she has accomplished in 8 years that impressed me. Getting on scads of committees is not the same as producing any palpable benefits for constituents while on those committees.
On points, the round may have just barely gone to Hill, but I think Spencer will win the match on the 10th.
By the way, in the absence of Ed Clary who is out of town, Adam Jacobson did an excellent job as moderator in what I think was his first time at bat in that role.
It's a damend shame that we do not have a decent meeting place for these things, with a spund system, that does not cost an arm and a leg. The very first one I attended in 1994 was spoonsored by the local chapter of the NAACP and held in the auditorium / lunchroom of omn of the public schools. My memory fails me, but I think it was the old St. Marys Middle School.
Herb, I saw you there tonight. How come we can't do that now?
I was in attendance as well and I felt like most people had already decided who they were going to vote for. The loaded questions that were asked pretty much proved it. Heck, half the questions were things I read on this forum. I have to disagree when you say Hill might have won simply because she flip flopped a few times throughout the course of the evening. Specific examples include her original position on playing nice with the federal government, then talking about how she was fighting the federal government on another issue. Later on she claimed to be above dirty politics, yet made the claim that she had an email stating that Jason Spencer told someone to go do some political misdeed or another. When pressed to produce the email it wasn't there.

At first I was thrilled with the turnout but with most of them already declaring political alliance with T-Shirts and Stickers it seemed a moot point.

Here's where my honestly comes in though - Cecily Hill scares the crap out of me. She brought up the mega mall which I know you're into (Save that debate for another thread) but also she made mention of seeing that a railroad got a grant to improve their tracks. Where do grants and tax breaks come from? Taxpayers - local, state and federal. This is the exact kind of thinking that got us into this mess. It is not the job of the Government to bolster the economy. Every thing they do makes it worse. Everything from the New Deal to the Stimulus Bill has pumped up corporatism and destroyed free market capitalism. Oh well, we're freakin doomed.
TopPukes

Kingsland, GA

#15 Aug 4, 2010
I thought Hill was better this go around than she has been in previous debates, but it seemed very apparent that she was schooled on the issue of the donations to her campaign amongst all others. It seems to reason that when politicians, like Hill, take money from lobbyist, nothing good comes from such influence. She sure was well liked in Atlanta and THEY (other incumbents)are missing her and according to her need her back…hmmmm…I find this situation disturbing because there still was no real answer for how she votes…she tried to squander it with parliamentary procedure. Sounded to me that the legislature needs their “puppet” back in Atlanta…..furthermore, I think that the forum was designed to attack Spencer. I think Spencer handled all well. He is tenacious and his rebuttals were right on point. I really liked his answer when discussing earmarks and Jack Kingston. I think that was Bert Guy question to set Spencer up for a fall, but Spencer has way too much knowledge of the US House’s job in appropriations, which is not that much different from the state parliamentary procedure it seems.
I do not think Spencer’s lack of experience will be an issue because the high pressure emergency medicine takes a lot skill and quick thinking on your feet….Hill does not seem to possess much of this and her longevity at rebounding is limited: example, her waxing and waning with standing against or not against money from the federal government. To quote Hill:“we have to be careful”. I think this is a weak response to a huge issue, especially with Obamacare and education. Today, the Race to the Top agenda in the Governor’s race took central stage as reported in the AJC . This WILL BE an issue at the local level very soon for our BOE and teachers…people need to wake up about the overreaching power of the feds. I liked Spencer’s remarks about why he is running for this office instead of the federal office because he is right when he says states must make a change at the state level to secure the 10 amendment rights in order for local decisions to remain local decisions….at the end of the debate, I think it was a draw hence the situation of the runoff…and you would think that an incumbent of 8 years should be able to quote chapter and verse beyond a challenger of Spencer’s caliber, but Spencer has the blueprints of a real servant leader, much like a Jack Kingston.…we will see on the 10th.
SHINEY HEAD

Alpharetta, GA

#16 Aug 4, 2010
The Alapaha Insider wrote:
It's easy to criticize one's record when you have none of your own! It's easy to form a platform when you have someone from Savannah, Atlanta, or Brunswick does it for you! It's easy to claim you are the answer when you've never had to answer for any of your actions! It's easy to hop on a fad and ride the wave of voters emotions! It's a whole lot tough to legislate and govern and someone with zero experience is not the answer. Stop living the Alapaha Lie and VOTE HILL !!!!!
Whatever!Jason has got this thing won and you Hill supporters are worried about grandma not being able to go back to Atlanta and hob knob. She spoke only lies tonight, flip flopped on issues and tried to call Spencer out on procedural issues that may or may not happen when he is in office. NOT THE REAL ISSUES!!!! A COMMON MOVE AMONG CAREER POLITICIANS!!! SHE IS OUT SPENCER IS IN!!!
The Alapaha Insider

Saint Marys, GA

#17 Aug 5, 2010
Vote experience, Vote leadership, vote for someone who has been there not someone who wants to know what it's like. VOTE HILL !!!!
TopPukes

Kingsland, GA

#18 Aug 5, 2010
We need to vote for someone who is not get scratch the backs of others...VOTE OUT POLLUTED ALL INCUMBENTS.
Response

Saint Simons Island, GA

#19 Aug 5, 2010
How can you taunt this as the reason Hill should be supported? She had no experience when first elected, by some standards, some would say she has no experience now.

The REPUBLICAN PARTY prompted her up. It was a dressed rehearsal for Hill. The motive was to highlight her genius above the other. Instead she came out as a equal.
Response

Saint Simons Island, GA

#20 Aug 5, 2010
Jay Moreno wrote:
Far and away the most striking thing was Hills performance. She had looked old, tired, dazed and confused at her previous appearances - especially att he WWC forum. Tonight, she looked like someone at the cosmetics counter at Belks might have done her makeup. She looked five years younger and seemed rested. Most impressively, she was on her game. She knew what she had come to say and did.
Thanks Jay.

With Adam Jacobson as the Moderator and Bert Guy with the Que-Cards (both hold leadership positions with the local Republican Party), how could a eight year incumbent possibly go wrong. Hence the reason for the 360 degree performance.

All in all, I'm hearing bascially Hill performed as well as any coached student for a debate. Anything outside of the box was deflected by Adam.
Jay Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#21 Aug 5, 2010
"The 360 degree performance?" I have no idea what that means. Pleae explain.

Those of us who were actually inside the room could clearly see that Adam asked each and every one of the questions that had been submitted by the audience.

He was very lenient and equitable with allowing rebuttals and even rebuttals of rebuttals of rebuttals.

In short, I think your criticism of Adam's performance is entirely unfounded.

As to Hill being coached, that exact thought occurred to me too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dear Jorge 4 min anon 10
Please take a knee 20 min Capt Obvious 2
Private Money for SPACEPORT 28 min Propaganda nonsence 5
NBA Michael Jordan speaks... 47 min Shocking just Sho... 1
clownboy kneed repeatedly by real patriots 11 hr Anon 3
NFL rightfully call Clownboy to the carpet 13 hr Really 10
Fake news at it's best 14 hr NFL Guy 2

Kingsland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance