South Georgia Man Claims Bitten by Ex...

South Georgia Man Claims Bitten by Exotic African Snake

There are 25 comments on the WTLV story from Nov 22, 2011, titled South Georgia Man Claims Bitten by Exotic African Snake. In it, WTLV reports that:

A man who said he was bitten by a black mamba snake in Kingsland, Ga., got life-saving antivenin from the Jacksonville zoo.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTLV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wondering

United States

#1 Nov 23, 2011
Who's the dumba$$ that had a Black Mamba ?????

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#2 Nov 23, 2011
Wondering wrote:
Who's the dumba$$ that had a Black Mamba ?????
I hope someone had the good sense to kill the damned thing. The snake, that is.
local guy

United States

#3 Nov 23, 2011
Why would you even own one?

Anybody ever seen that show on Animal Planet called Fatal Attractions?

St. Marys, GA

#4 Nov 23, 2011
local guy wrote:
Why would you even own one?
Anybody ever seen that show on Animal Planet called Fatal Attractions?
No, but I've seen documentaries on the damned things. They are lightning quick and don't back down when they feel threatened. I'm sure they make the top five among the deadliest snakes on the planet.

Wouldn't that be just great if the ass let it escape into his neighborhood?

St. Marys, GA

#5 Nov 23, 2011
WARNING: Neither the snake nor its owner have been apprehended.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-11-23...

Both are apparently at large somewhere in Kingsland!
Coon

Herndon, PA

#6 Nov 23, 2011
Moreno Jay wrote:
WARNING: Neither the snake nor its owner have been apprehended.
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-11-23...
Both are apparently at large somewhere in Kingsland!
If that was a black mamba,that dude would have been pushing up daysies, it must have been one of them alabama black snakes like moreno likes to play with
Red Bone

Saint Marys, GA

#7 Nov 23, 2011
The snakes are coming up from South Florida they have a very large population in the wild of all kinds of snakes not native to the area. When people get tired of them the just release them. I have no idea what may have bitten the man I do hope it is caught and dealt with. by cutting the head of the snake off. I hope it has not laid eggs or a friend running around the area.
local guy

United States

#8 Nov 24, 2011
If you ever get the chance to watch that show Fatal Attractions, check it out. Its about people who own dangerous animals, and pay the price for their stupidity. Some are sad, some are down right stupid. Either way, if you own one of these animals, you will ultimately pay more of a price than you bargain for.
Lisa

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Nov 25, 2011
Coon wrote:
<quoted text>If that was a black mamba,that dude would have been pushing up daysies, it must have been one of them alabama black snakes like moreno likes to play with
It was a black mamba, the Jacksonville zoo had the antivenum serum that saved his life.

St. Marys, GA

#10 Nov 25, 2011
"Serious snakebite is best treated with the appropriate antivenom. In South Africa SAVP manufactures polyvalent snakebite antivenom for treatment of bites from the dangerous adders, cobras, mambas and ringkals. This antivenom is specific against the bites of the following snakes:

a) Bitis arietans - Puff Adder
b) Bitis gabonica - Gaboon Adder
c) Dendroaspis angusticeps - Eastern Green Mamba
d) Dendroaspis jamesonii - Jameson's Mamba
e) Dendroaspis polylepis - Black mamba
f) Hemachatus haemachatus - Ringkals Spitting Cobra
g) Naja annulifera - Snouted Cobra
h) Naja melanoleuca - Forest Cobra
i) Naja mossambica - Mozambique Spitting Cobra
j} Naja nivea - Cape Cobra"

Just as I suspected, the antivenom used to treat black mamba bite is a polyvalent antivenom, as most are.

Ergo, his recovery is not proof positive that is was a mamba, but one would assume that the idiot buyer would know what one looks like so it probably was one.
Frank Hall

United States

#11 Nov 25, 2011
"Just as I suspected" = I read it on Wiki.

St. Marys, GA

#12 Nov 25, 2011
No, MA, as a Filed Medical Service Tech in the Navy, I have training in snakes bites as well as a two week ACDUTRA at the Deisease Vector Ecology Control Center at NAS, Jax.

There was a guy there named Maynard something- a civilian - who was one of the countries foremost experts on venomous snakes.

In the U.S., among native snakes, at any rate, there are two broad types - the elapidae and the crotalidae (and no, I did not have to look that up.)

The elapids are the neurotoxic snakes. In North America, that's the coral snake.

The crotalids are the hemotoxic snakes.
In North America, that's the pit vipers such as rattlers (all species), water moccasins, and copperheads.

The available anitvenoms for North American toxic snakes are therefor divided into two polyvalnet types; one for elapidae bites and one for crotalidae bites. All snakes native to North (and for that matter, Souht) America fall into one or the other catagorie.

However, there are some snakes on other continents that are both hemo and neuro toxic.

By the way, hemotoxic snakes kill by destroying the oxygebn carrying blood cells of the victim by a process called hemolysis in which the red cells actually burst and disintegrate. A relatively slow death for a human adult. Usually, hours. Of course, their much smaller prey die much more quickly. Small children are also much more at risk from crotalid envenomations. Its a function of venom volume relative to body weight.

Neurotoxic snake venom kills by interrupting the autonomic nerve which makes you breath involuntarily. You stop breathing - you die. Generally, much faster than crotalid invenomation.
If you don't get to antivenom or a ventilator within an hour, you're probably toast.

St. Marys, GA

#13 Nov 25, 2011
Make that Field Medical Service Technician. For Navy folks, an NEC 8404. AKA a grunt corpsman.

St. Marys, GA

#14 Nov 25, 2011
Sorry,that's "polvalent" antivenom. Good for more than one species within the subgroups crotalidae and elapidae, resectively.
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#15 Nov 25, 2011
So nice to see someone so educated.
coon

Herndon, PA

#16 Nov 25, 2011
I want to know why Taterton aka TT has caught that snake and had his picture made with him on TV, so we could know for sure he is a real tater patch police, and keeping us safe here at exit 3
snake man

United States

#17 Nov 25, 2011
that would be Maynard Cox, who passed away on October 13 of this year. The Snake Man.
almost famous

Sumter, SC

#18 Nov 25, 2011
Venonous vipers in LIL
JUST ME

Herndon, PA

#19 Nov 26, 2011
Jay shut the hell up , training my A$$ , anyone can google

St. Marys, GA

#20 Nov 26, 2011
snake man wrote:
that would be Maynard Cox, who passed away on October 13 of this year. The Snake Man.
Exactly. Sorry to hear that. I enjoyed his class.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank you President Trump 1 hr The Truth 1
Thanks for nothing, Trump! Army Vet + one dead. 3 hr Ospreybites 5
News Camden commissioners hear again from opponents ... 3 hr LYAO 4
Dukes of Iron MC (Jul '14) Fri Patched 35
Looking for best divorce attorney in Camden May 25 Camden Sux Azz 2
Steppin Fetched days are over. May 24 watcher 9
Trump is going down May 22 7 trumpets 15

Kingsland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance