Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Why is it that after the city gets a bid do they allow the contractor to come bak and ask for so called adjustments?
Ar we dealing with contractors or are they coming in with a low bid knowing we will let them upsale us?

example: Last monday Roger Weaveaver told council
to give coastal construction 80k more to fix problems on orange hall. Saying he pushed in a beam and it fell 3 inches thats BULL CRAP.
make doyle stay with his bid or reopen the bidding. I wonder is this the reason the next lowest bid was 50k higher did they see those problems and put it in their bid
The Black Hole

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

What has it cost the tax payers of St. Marys for each out of town tourist to climb the white stairs of Orange Hall?
anon

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Orange Hall is a disappointment to most visitors. Had friends passing through who went there and they asked what is so special about it other than it's old. They travel a lot and have visited Williamsburg, Monticello, and other "real" historic places. I told them the only purpose I thought served was a a drain into which the City of St Marys could pour taxpayer money. Then there's the obvious benefit to the city's contractor of choice, Doyle Strickland.
big dog

Dornsife, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Roger is a nice guy. But that does not make him a competent Planner, nor does it make him a competent Architect, which just happens to be his avocation.
Unit 1

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Doyle has been in been in the pocket of council for years. Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap.
Jorge

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Tommy Weaver wrote:
Why is it that after the city gets a bid do they allow the contractor to come bak and ask for so called adjustments?
Ar we dealing with contractors or are they coming in with a low bid knowing we will let them upsale us?
example: Last monday Roger Weaveaver told council
to give coastal construction 80k more to fix problems on orange hall. Saying he pushed in a beam and it fell 3 inches thats BULL CRAP.
make doyle stay with his bid or reopen the bidding. I wonder is this the reason the next lowest bid was 50k higher did they see those problems and put it in their bid
You obviously know nothing about construction, bidding, bid specs, hidden problems, contract mods etc. Go back to cutting bait.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

anon wrote:
Orange Hall is a disappointment to most visitors. Had friends passing through who went there and they asked what is so special about it other than it's old. They travel a lot and have visited Williamsburg, Monticello, and other "real" historic places. I told them the only purpose I thought served was a a drain into which the City of St Marys could pour taxpayer money. Then there's the obvious benefit to the city's contractor of choice, Doyle Strickland.
Exactly.

My first thought after I toured it was that it was a Jim Walter-built "mansion."
Orange Hall

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

A storm damages the City dock and is off limits for the entire summer. Yet during the same time the City pours hundreds of thousands of dollars into Orange Hall to benefit a few tourist. Never be confused about the priorities of the voting block of this City Council.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
My first thought after I toured it was that it was a Jim Walter-built "mansion."
Jay im asking this with no disrespect but how did you in a chair Ive been in the past and could see i did not want to climb steps.
It was about like Cumberland Island not great for us

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Tommy, I arrived here on August 3rd, 1993.

I did not become disabled until April of 2004, nine years ago this past week.

I've been in the pseudo-mansion and on Cumberland well before I had Guillain-Barre syndrome.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously know nothing about construction, bidding, bid specs, hidden problems, contract mods etc. Go back to cutting bait.
no im not in that field but a close friend is and like he said you give the contractor a pass once.
but a rule of thumb if one bid comes in 40k lower than the others he missed what they did not.

I got him to look at the numbers and he said thats a trick alot of contractors use on goverment jobs. if they did it on free market it would only happen 1 time and then never bid again.

Take a step back and think
he put a roof on pavilion for 3 times the cost my brother had the same tin put on.
that thing in the park. we raised enough hell on that cost he gave some back. I asked Shanahan several times where did that money go. I was supposedto be a use or lose SPLOST the county did not get it back the city has not or will not answer.

everyone acts like its only tax money but 50khere 50k thereadds up after awhile
Not an Exterminator

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Why is it every time a public building needs paint half of it is replaced because of terminates? I can understand the transplant Yankees's not having a clue but you would think public works would have a prevention plan. Costing the tax payer a fortune.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Moreno Jay wrote:
Tommy, I arrived here on August 3rd, 1993.
I did not become disabled until April of 2004, nine years ago this past week.
I've been in the pseudo-mansion and on Cumberland well before I had Guillain-Barre syndrome.
I Did not know but like i said i was not trying to offend you so please dont think that i was

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

I didn't.
Al Pope 7

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

The City would be better off to give Orange Hall away than to keep it. At least then someone else would have to keep the building up. After all it is on the National Historical Register. Who ever takes it over will have to keep it up.
birdog

Woodbine, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

tear down orange hall and grow up people.

“The one and only! ”

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

I see where some 3rd rate film maker was so inspired by the ruins of the old paper mill they actually wrote a screen play to take advantage o it as a location.

Perhaps a burning Orange Hall could be the inspiration for another great film.

How about it, Thug, Delta, DMA?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Kingsland Forum right now

Search the Kingsland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 17 min Oh my 49,556
Which pest control? 11 hr Jolly Roger 4
Residential car lots Wed ScottyB 92
kingsland adventure park Wed anon 69
Can the President be recalled? (Jul '09) Tue joker 37
The new "OPS" location (Dec '13) Jul 21 Wrinkletard 52
Automobile Dearlerships Jul 21 Jax 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kingsland Jobs

•••