Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2548 Jan 23, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>great posts from you,synergy,zoltar and informed opinion.and a great idea about the superpacs,but even if this is done,we still have to try to do something about the lobbyists influencing all politicicans.more rational thoughts like these could eventually lead to a step in proper direction,whether in the right left or middle.
Lobbiests ARE a major part of the problem. As I stated, even the politicians we thought would represent us well have fallen for the lure. It seems they get caught up in the perks and then all bets are off. It's frustrating and disappointing.
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#2549 Jan 23, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it can be considered hypocritical if one criticizes a system, but then uses said criticized system to his advantage.

Not judging. Just pointing out.
Feel free to consider it so.

I'll disagree agreeably.

That's America - opinions are free.
Pop

Barnwell, SC

#2550 Jan 23, 2013
I will support you.
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2551 Jan 24, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lobbiests ARE a major part of the problem. As I stated, even the politicians we thought would represent us well have fallen for the lure. It seems they get caught up in the perks and then all bets are off. It's frustrating and disappointing.
Your post is true, but incomplete; Do you know what a "bag man" is? That's all a lobbiest is, "gofors," "bag men (and women)" shuttling money from their masters to the political pocket.

The "perks" aren't the main reason why people go into politics to begin with; they're dishonest, greedy and run for office to get rich quick.

To get elected, they make promises, then when they win, hand out excuses and as long as they can keep us divided into two camps, they get away with it.
Replying

Blairsville, GA

#2553 Jan 24, 2013
Donald Putnam wrote:
I tried to get help for a problem with the VA from Issakson. Him and his staff did nothing but make the problem worse. After repeated calls I was hung up on because the 'adult' conservation the Repubs asked for was to much for them to handle. So, Issakson sicc'ed the FBI and the GBI on me for exercising my 1st Amendment while they refused to represent for me. A decorated disabled Green Beret. All you Republican bastards can kiss my ass.
Why do I NOT believe you?
Replying

Blairsville, GA

#2557 Jan 24, 2013
Donald Putnam wrote:
<quoted text>
Because your one of those stupid ignorant Repubs? Go ask the Gordon County Sheriff's dept who falsely asked for an interview about another matter. Then, sprung the FBI and GBI agents on me.
No, it's because I'm a Doubting Thomas and you sound like a fruit-loop with a big chip on your shoulder about something. IF, and it's a big if, the GCSO alerted the GBI and FBI about you, it's probably because you made a threat. They don't like that. Nobody does.

You know of course, that your military service record, even your MOS can be verified over the internet. It's public information (sans certain identifying information like SS number, DOB and POB, and medical file). It cuts down on the number of people who fly false colors.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2558 Jan 24, 2013
ur devaluing fruit loops and potato chips by using them in the same sentence as this nut job.

Jes Sayin
Replying

Blairsville, GA

#2559 Jan 24, 2013
bored monitor wrote:
ur devaluing fruit loops and potato chips by using them in the same sentence as this nut job.
Jes Sayin
My most sincere and humble apology. ;-)

Location hidden

#2560 Jan 24, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is true, but incomplete; Do you know what a "bag man" is? That's all a lobbiest is, "gofors," "bag men (and women)" shuttling money from their masters to the political pocket.
The "perks" aren't the main reason why people go into politics to begin with; they're dishonest, greedy and run for office to get rich quick.
To get elected, they make promises, then when they win, hand out excuses and as long as they can keep us divided into two camps, they get away with it.
I've not heard the term "bag man", but it certainly describes their task.
I truly think SOME people become politicians because they want to help, THEN all the back slapping, special treatment, gifts, etc., goes to their head and it's downhill from there. They get caught up in their own importance and their allegiance becomes diluted. Your last sentence is spot on!
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2561 Jan 24, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not heard the term "bag man", but it certainly describes their task.
I truly think SOME people become politicians because they want to help, THEN all the back slapping, special treatment, gifts, etc., goes to their head and it's downhill from there. They get caught up in their own importance and their allegiance becomes diluted. Your last sentence is spot on!
The term originated I think, back in the roaring 20s and had/has reference to people who, in the employ of organized crime families, real estate developers and agents, sometimes just ordinary business people (for protection) and very frequently lawyers, hand delivered grocery bags of cash to politicians, judges and the police.

Today it references facilitators, typically lobbyists, who instead of cash, "arrange" for wire transfers of money to off-shore, usually corporate numbered accounts in the Cayman Islands and Belize, in which case the recipient is almost always shown on a tax filing as a "consultant firm" to whoever is sending the money. Since neither country has a banking disclosure treaty with the US, there's no way the IRS can dispute the transactions in an audit or a court of law.

Drug money (cash) is handled differently. There a courier is employed, usually an aide or family member of the politician. As a "diplomatic courtesy," they pass through customs without inspection or having to declare the cash upon entering either country.

On a state or local level, since it doesn't involve nearly as much money, the procedures are far less sophisticated but still involve family members who technically receive the money for consulting services or, on the lowest level, often just a check or checks. If only a few thousand dollars are involved, cash is the easiest way to do it.

In another context, a "bag man" is someone who does breaking and entering to either steal something specific or leave something behind, like a clandestine listening device (a bug).
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#2564 Jan 24, 2013
Donald, I might understand. Thank you for your service to your country, and upholding the fundamentals.

Location hidden

#2565 Jan 24, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
The term originated I think, back in the roaring 20s and had/has reference to people who, in the employ of organized crime families, real estate developers and agents, sometimes just ordinary business people (for protection) and very frequently lawyers, hand delivered grocery bags of cash to politicians, judges and the police.
Today it references facilitators, typically lobbyists, who instead of cash, "arrange" for wire transfers of money to off-shore, usually corporate numbered accounts in the Cayman Islands and Belize, in which case the recipient is almost always shown on a tax filing as a "consultant firm" to whoever is sending the money. Since neither country has a banking disclosure treaty with the US, there's no way the IRS can dispute the transactions in an audit or a court of law.
Drug money (cash) is handled differently. There a courier is employed, usually an aide or family member of the politician. As a "diplomatic courtesy," they pass through customs without inspection or having to declare the cash upon entering either country.
On a state or local level, since it doesn't involve nearly as much money, the procedures are far less sophisticated but still involve family members who technically receive the money for consulting services or, on the lowest level, often just a check or checks. If only a few thousand dollars are involved, cash is the easiest way to do it.
In another context, a "bag man" is someone who does breaking and entering to either steal something specific or leave something behind, like a clandestine listening device (a bug).
Thank you, Lived There. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the term. Very interesting and informative.:)
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2568 Jan 24, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
good post!one of the most famous of the original ones was frank"greasy thumbs"gusak,he was al capones' accountant(for lack of a better description).
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#2569 Jan 24, 2013
Lived there, it is a good helpful post. No wonder "that" paper hard to follow.

Donald, I think I know "roots" and they are people that we should all strive to be and are of the highest integrity. Again, thank you.
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2570 Jan 24, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
William Bundy and Robert McNamara.
McNamara brought his genius to the World Bank where he engaged in further helpful work as described in the book "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man".
In this shocking memoir, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, John Perkins tells of his own inner journey from willing servant of empire to impassioned advocate for the rights of oppressed people. Covertly recruited by the United States National Security Agency and on the payroll of an international consulting firm, he traveled the world—to Indonesia, Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and other strategically important countries. His job was to implement policies that promoted the interests of the U.S. corporatocracy (a coalition of government, banks, and corporations) while professing to alleviate poverty—policies that alienated many nations and ultimately led to September 11 and growing anti-Americanism. Within a few weeks of its release , Confessions of an Economic Hit Man landed onThe New York Times Bestseller List ... According to John Perkins, "It is accomplishing an important objective in inspiring people to think and talk and to know that we can change the world."
“[A] gripping tell-all book….”
--Rocky Mountain News “John Perkins' story is so astonishing it defies belief…. imagine the conceptual love child of James Bond and Milton Friedman.”
--Boston Herald
“…compulsively readable and revealing.… Resisting threats and bribes, Perkins persisted and wrote his well-documented confessional. He has produced an unflinching and forceful insider’s look at how the U.S. government, multinational ‘aid’ organizations and corporations are following a dangerous path in their pursuit of oil and other resources.”
was just thinking,maybe it was'nt such a good idea to have brought up that war.
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2571 Jan 24, 2013
can't remember,did you do that,or was it me?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2572 Jan 24, 2013
Donald E Putnam Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike you I don't hide my location or my name and the VA head shrinker said I'm not crazy,other than the fact I live up to the standards you sheeple indoctrinated me with. A man is supposed to have honor and integrity something sadly lacking in sheeple like yourself. Also, many of you forget this is a 'Fighting Words' state, meaning you say the wrong thing to me I'm perfectly within my rights to beat the crap outta you. Georgia is a state full of stupid ignorant children, I've lived here all my life, I know. As children, you were supposed to learn,'sticks and stones, etc'. The unspoken part goes,'Nor cause me to do harm'! I live that, but lay a hand on me and I'll put you in the hospital if your lucky.
Thanks for ur service, highly unlikely u could beat the crap outta me, tough guy.
Not the Average Local

Dahlonega, GA

#2574 Jan 24, 2013
Donald E Putnam Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the man, ooopss little girl hiding in the bushes.
Maybe you and that nut called Mountain Voice can get together and show each other how tough you are.
diddy

United States

#2575 Jan 24, 2013
Bankers, politicians, and those who would sell their souls for a dollar. Poor you. You just think you have it all.
Informed Opinion

Orlando, FL

#2577 Jan 24, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>Lobbiests ARE a major part of the problem. As I stated, even the politicians we thought would represent us well have fallen for the lure. It seems they get caught up in the perks and then all bets are off. It's frustrating and disappointing.
Good points.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moreno October Surprise Announcement 2 min Nancy 24
FLASH: Moron-o Outs Wrong Neighbor??? 11 min Bob 7
Research on "black gill" in shrimp. 13 min MamaFlo 2
Ebola facts - for the intellectually challenged 15 min Anon 3
The Big goverment Era comes to Kingsland 36 min Cheese house 32
Just play football kiddies 1 hr Parent that did it 1
Rec league football setting bad examples 1 hr Parent that did it 3
Kingsland Dating
Find my Match

Kingsland Jobs