Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#2301 Jan 18, 2013
Jokes wrote:
Ya'll are worried about taxes. You should be worried about obama and his his attack dogs. Money is the least of the worries. He is sitting on the throne. He ain't going no where. He'll get a third term after he creates a crisis. Then a huge crisis and he'll insure his throne for life. Then his dynasty. His wife and daughters shall carry it on like pharoahs.
Wanna be king george bush the 2nd wanted it first but his timing was off slightly. This is why he allowed so much white collar crime in the banks and Wall Street. we are paying for these crimes now and will be paying for them indefinetly.
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#2303 Jan 18, 2013
Take your meds and call us in the morning. If that does'nt work, we will have to put you on some stronger medication.

“Marble Man”

Since: Jul 11

Destin, FL

#2304 Jan 18, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? The day is slow and I'm bored to tears.
You know what the solution is. There is one sure fire way out there to end all the BS about who paid, or should pay, and at what rate, what can or cannot be deducted. What is that solution?
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2305 Jan 18, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what the solution is. There is one sure fire way out there to end all the BS about who paid, or should pay, and at what rate, what can or cannot be deducted. What is that solution?
The Mafia!
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2306 Jan 18, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, brother. Your comprehension is lacking, too. And your childish misspelling of Republican isn't helping your cause.
I don't know of a Republican president who has saved the day and I damn sure don't know of a Democrat president who has saved the day either. At this point, it's going to take Superman and NO! Obama ISN'T Superman regardless of what you libs think.
who would you reccommend as the superman,seriously.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2307 Jan 18, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>who would you reccommend as the superman,seriously.
Seriously? I have NO idea of who can turn this around. I don't know why ANYONE would want the job. When serious "fixing" starts taking place, it's going to be very painful for all of us for quite a while, but for future generations, we need to do it. Do you have anyone in mind?
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2308 Jan 18, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? I have NO idea of who can turn this around. I don't know why ANYONE would want the job. When serious "fixing" starts taking place, it's going to be very painful for all of us for quite a while, but for future generations, we need to do it. Do you have anyone in mind?
again,i really don't,but looking towards the future-i do kinda like susan eisenhower,but she is not ready for this mess yet.it is too bad that we don't have roosevelt,teddy or franklin(as you know,one was a rep.the other a dem.)but i do believe we should all be open to suggestions since the situation is definitely dire.party affifilation not withstanding.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#2309 Jan 19, 2013
Carson McCullars wrote:
Carson McCullars was only foisted as a great because she CUCKOLD her husband and was a cross dressing lesbian both acts hollywood-greenwich village applauds and rewards. Wearing men's clothes like Madonna and Marlene Dietrich.
Do you mean Carson McCullers, my semi-literate, anonymous little friend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_McCullers

Carson McCullers (February 19, 1917 – September 29, 1967) was an American writer. She wrote novels, short stories, and two plays, as well as essays and some poetry. Her first novel The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the U.S. South. Her other novels have similar themes and are all set in the South.

Criticism
"Mrs. McCullers and perhaps Mr. Faulkner are the only writers since the death of D. H. Lawrence with an original poetic sensibility. I prefer Mrs. McCullers to Mr. Faulkner because she writes more clearly; I prefer her to D. H. Lawrence because she has no message." – Graham Greene "[Her work is] one of the few satisfying achievements of our second-rate culture."[6]– Gore Vidal "Moving, yes, but a minor author. And broken by illness at such a young age." – Arthur Miller "Carson's major theme; the huge importance and nearly insoluble problems of human love." – Tennessee Williams.
Although McCullers's oeuvre is often described as "Southern Gothic," she produced her famous works after leaving the South. Her eccentric characters suffer from loneliness that is interpreted with deep empathy. In a discussion with the Irish critic and writer Terence de Vere White she said: "Writing, for me, is a search for God." Other critics have variously detected tragicomic or political elements in her writing.
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2310 Jan 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those waiting on an elected Messiah to come along and lead us out of this quagmire we're in, good luck!

The road we'll have to take is the same bloodied route we took when we were young and idealistic, and immortal, a road that ended the Vietnam War and also won equal rights for all.

Don't look for deliverance through the gilded halls of Congress or the White House, rather through a perhaps violent uprising by the Proletariat.

“Marble Man”

Destin, FL

#2312 Jan 19, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
Those waiting on an elected Messiah to come along and lead us out of this quagmire we're in, good luck!
The road we'll have to take is the same bloodied route we took when we were young and idealistic, and immortal, a road that ended the Vietnam War and also won equal rights for all.
Don't look for deliverance through the gilded halls of Congress or the White House, rather through a perhaps violent uprising by the Proletariat.
Fairtax.org , will solve a whole lot of issues.
deal with it

Winter Haven, FL

#2313 Jan 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Look! You know as well as I that whomever is president when A, B or C happens, the sitting president gets the credit or the blame. So, you're saying that you aren't accustomed to hearing people speak the president's name when they are complaining or praising the government???? How many times did the Obama worshippers claim that Obama got Bin Ladin? Actually, the Navy Seals got Bin Ladin, but Obama was the hero because it happened on his watch. If you deny that, you aren't being honest.
Yea sure, Obama gave to Ok to make the kill. Your hero poser Bush passed at the very beginning of the war, thats a fact. Deal with it
Lived there

Blairsville, GA

#2314 Jan 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Fairtax.org , will solve a whole lot of issues.
HELL NO!

That's basically suggesting a federal VAT tax which would hit the middle and lower economic class the hardest by extracting a disproportional percentage of their income - even for basics!

Consider this: if there's no federal income tax and you're making $10 mill (net), paying $20 for a pound of hamburger meat ($5 for the meat,$10 for the federal government, plus 6-9% for the state, plus any local tax assessments, usually .5%), you'd come out WAY ahead. BUT, if you're only making $20 thousand (net) you'd still be paying the same price as the rich man for that same meat but the $20 would cost WAY more in terms of percentage of your net income.

The wealthy would love it, the rest of us would suffer.

Add to that: given the way Congress likes to spend, do you honestly believe they'd completely do away with the income tax on the middle class? Do you honestly believe they'd leave the VAT tax at the level they start with and not inch it up a tenth of a percentage point at a time, like they have on so many other things?
Informed Opinion

Hollywood, FL

#2315 Jan 19, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>HELL NO!

That's basically suggesting a federal VAT tax which would hit the middle and lower economic class the hardest by extracting a disproportional percentage of their income - even for basics!

Consider this: if there's no federal income tax and you're making $10 mill (net), paying $20 for a pound of hamburger meat ($5 for the meat,$10 for the federal government, plus 6-9% for the state, plus any local tax assessments, usually .5%), you'd come out WAY ahead. BUT, if you're only making $20 thousand (net) you'd still be paying the same price as the rich man for that same meat but the $20 would cost WAY more in terms of percentage of your net income.

Add to that: given the way Congress likes to spend, do you honestly believe they'd completely do away with the income tax on the middle class? Do you honestly believe they'd leave the VAT tax at the level they start with and not inch it up a tenth of a percentage point at a time, like they have on so many other things?
Agreed, the VAT, because it is a sales or consumption tax, is regressive and works against the middle class and poor.

I am using 15% as the accumulated tax paid by the final consumer, but pick any number you like - as the principle remains unchanged.

Consider, you make $40K a year and because you have a wife and kid(s), you spend $40K a year, and absorb the full impact of the VAT.

If the VAT is an effect tax rate of 15%, you are paying all 15% on your income.

But, if you're a hedge fund investor who makes $300 Million a year, or executive who makes $20 Million a year, you make only spend a paltry $3 Million a year maintaining your lifestyle.

The $297 Million or the $17 Million won't be taxed, it will be maintained or "invested", resulting in the accumulations of wealth even more vast than exist today.

The hedge fund investor would pay 15% on 1% of his income or 0.15% effective tax rate on income; and the executive would pay 15% on 15% or 2.2% effective tax rate on income.

Maybe I misunderstand though, and stand ready to be corrected.

“Marble Man”

Destin, FL

#2316 Jan 19, 2013
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
HELL NO!
I agree on one point. We will not see the Fair tax in our lifetime.

Regarding your "meat" example, no matter what the tax is, rich and poor pay the same price for "meat" now, no difference. Also the "rich" guy will spend and be taxed on $50K+m cars, the poor guy will only be taxed on a $15K car. The same goes for everything else.

Have you read both books regarding the Fair Tax?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2317 Jan 19, 2013
<quoted text>
We've had FairTax discussions in here before...

No, it's quite obvious they haven't read the books and it's more obvious they don't understand how the proposed FairTax would work (you don't have to read the books to understand). Not surprised, are you? Goes right along with "clueless and uneducated" sentiment perfectly. People that don't know what they're talking about espousing the liberal party lines...

For those clueless and uneducated, research the "prebate" portion of the FairTax proposal. For those at the poverty line, they would, essentially, pay NO FairTax, so someone saying it would impact them more so than someone else is quite wrong.

All these people that bitch about companies and individuals having money in overseas banks don't understand that the majority of the time it's for tax reasons, tax reasons that would not exist if the FairTax were enacted.

Location hidden

#2318 Jan 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, the VAT, because it is a sales or consumption tax, is regressive and works against the middle class and poor.
I am using 15% as the accumulated tax paid by the final consumer, but pick any number you like - as the principle remains unchanged.
Consider, you make $40K a year and because you have a wife and kid(s), you spend $40K a year, and absorb the full impact of the VAT.
If the VAT is an effect tax rate of 15%, you are paying all 15% on your income.
But, if you're a hedge fund investor who makes $300 Million a year, or executive who makes $20 Million a year, you make only spend a paltry $3 Million a year maintaining your lifestyle.
The $297 Million or the $17 Million won't be taxed, it will be maintained or "invested", resulting in the accumulations of wealth even more vast than exist today.
The hedge fund investor would pay 15% on 1% of his income or 0.15% effective tax rate on income; and the executive would pay 15% on 15% or 2.2% effective tax rate on income.
As in most things tax related, you do misunderstand or don't know. That being said, there are ways you can learn about it...

BTW, the % in your example is still 15%(although the proposed rate is 23%, which is said to be the imbedded accumulated tax rate on things we purchase now) for ALL people (seems fair that we all pay the same rate), even though at lower rates of spending (income does NOT matter, it's not an INCOME tax), the effective rate will be lower, or 0%, or even negative because of the prebate. Look it up.

Location hidden

#2319 Jan 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO, you sure have something against people that make a lot of money, don't you? How many people make $300M or even $20M a year? If you take ALL of their income (100% income tax), it doesn't put much of a dent in the deficit this country has.

You are correct on one thing though, their income is not taxed under the FairTax, only their spending.

Let me give another example of why it's a better idea (there are MANY more, read the book): someone is fairly wealthy, retired and most or all of their investments are in tax free muni bonds or similar, so they have NO taxable income and NO federal income tax. Yet, they still spend a good bit of money. Under the current system, they pay no federal income tax. Under the FairTax, they'd pay a good bit because they continue to spend.

A friend of mine on Topix knows someone in that situation...

“Marble Man”

Destin, FL

#2320 Jan 19, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>
We've had FairTax discussions in here before...
No, it's quite obvious they haven't read the books and it's more obvious they don't understand how the proposed FairTax would work (you don't have to read the books to understand). Not surprised, are you? Goes right along with "clueless and uneducated" sentiment perfectly. People that don't know what they're talking about espousing the liberal party lines...
For those clueless and uneducated, research the "prebate" portion of the FairTax proposal. For those at the poverty line, they would, essentially, pay NO FairTax, so someone saying it would impact them more so than someone else is quite wrong.
All these people that bitch about companies and individuals having money in overseas banks don't understand that the majority of the time it's for tax reasons, tax reasons that would not exist if the FairTax were enacted.
I know, I just keep trying to get people to come to the answer on their own, and without confrontation. The Fair tax is, IMO, the best option out there. I cannot recall any naysayer having come up with a better solution, yet they constantly complain about what "system" we have now. I demanded (for lack of a better word) that anyone working under me, or for me, better come with a possible solution for whatever their complaint was. I guess that habit continues on in my retirement.
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#2321 Jan 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree on one point. We will not see the Fair tax in our lifetime.
Regarding your "meat" example, no matter what the tax is, rich and poor pay the same price for "meat" now, no difference. Also the "rich" guy will spend and be taxed on $50K+m cars, the poor guy will only be taxed on a $15K car. The same goes for everything else.
i admit that i have not read the books and know very little about'fair tax',but is this the same or similar to a flat rate?

“Marble Man”

Destin, FL

#2322 Jan 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>i admit that i have not read the books and know very little about'fair tax',but is this the same or similar to a flat rate?
Not to be rude, but read the books. They are worth the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingsland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Lost Forest World of the World’s Largest Cave 28 min LonePalm 1
St Marys, The Oldest and Best 2 hr Bob 11
Moreno's success rests on the one thing he can'... 6 hr All Public Offici... 11
Moreno's Public Endorsements 14 hr Bob 98
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 15 hr The WB 2,055
10 Lessons From Real-Life Revolutions That Fict... 15 hr LonePalm 4
Another sailboat sinks in the anchorage South o... 16 hr Fergus 20
•••
•••
•••

Kingsland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Kingsland People Search