Community comes to aid of elderly woman

Community comes to aid of elderly woman

There are 19 comments on the KFOR story from Sep 13, 2010, titled Community comes to aid of elderly woman. In it, KFOR reports that:

Last week, NewsChannel 4 introduced viewers to Wanita Wright whose Kingfisher home of 49 years was condemned by the city after the Department Of Human Services decided the structure was unsafe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFOR.

NanaSawyer

United States

#1 Sep 13, 2010
I love it when strangers come together to help another in need. It would be very sad for her to have to leave her home that she has lived in for such a long time. Thank you to everyone that is helping!!
church

Edmond, OK

#2 Sep 14, 2010
How come church groups can get together and go to foreign countries and help the poor build homes but they drive by the crumbling houses of their elderly neighbors and ignore them. You need to help those in need in your own backyard first. Church YOUTH groups love to help. God Bless Them.

Since: Jul 10

Montgomery, AL

#3 Sep 14, 2010
ITs nice to see our community come toegether and lend a helping hand...
Volunteer

Norman, OK

#4 Sep 14, 2010
If anyone is volunteering, would you please post the information on when/how we can get involved? Or a phone number we can call? Thanks!!
chris

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Sep 14, 2010
church wrote:
How come church groups can get together and go to foreign countries and help the poor build homes but they drive by the crumbling houses of their elderly neighbors and ignore them. You need to help those in need in your own backyard first. Church YOUTH groups love to help. God Bless Them.
I agree. Usually when I say that someone flies off on me and says it is different because the foreign countries cant help. I usually respond by saying how come when we have a major issue here no other country comes to help but they all expect us to go help them during tragedies.
Roger

United States

#6 Sep 14, 2010
May God Bless all of the people that are helping save this womans home. This is the way it should be. Thanks Everyone for helping. I'm sure that you all have made her very happy.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#7 Sep 14, 2010
Thank God for Oklahoma and its citizens
Kelly

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Sep 14, 2010
I wonder why Mrs Wright's house wasn't recommended for one of the spring "Rebuilding Together" programs through Habitat for Humanity. Surely the postal worker or someone who came in contact with her regularly knew she needed assistance. Is there no proactive empathy anymore?
MasonDixon

Tulsa, OK

#9 Sep 14, 2010
Bless those who can help this lady. Made me sooo mad when I heard the "powers that be" in the community were going to put her out.
doodles

Houston, TX

#10 Sep 14, 2010
that is soo good for her. I love this story of how people come to gether and trying to help out. Just think it could be your grandmother, aunt, sister or mother. Just know that GOD Has a blessing for all involved and you will receive it. Blessings to all !
Sue

Topeka, KS

#11 Sep 14, 2010
This such a great thing everyone is doing for her, it could have been any of our Grandmothers that needed help and people are responding so well. I agree with earlier comments, we can drop everything to give money and assistance to these foreign countries, but sometimes we don't help our local people, I hope we can start focusing on our own and let the others fight for themselves.
Citizen

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Sep 14, 2010
There is so much need in Oklahoma and I am so glad people are coming to the aid of this lady. Too often we see the need across the ocean and forget to look at our own city or state.

“Let's Make Our World Better!”

Since: Mar 10

Blackwell, OK

#13 Sep 14, 2010
Volunteer wrote:
If anyone is volunteering, would you please post the information on when/how we can get involved? Or a phone number we can call? Thanks!!
I would like to know as well.
Tracy

United States

#14 Sep 14, 2010
Kelly wrote:
I wonder why Mrs Wright's house wasn't recommended for one of the spring "Rebuilding Together" programs through Habitat for Humanity. Surely the postal worker or someone who came in contact with her regularly knew she needed assistance. Is there no proactive empathy anymore?
The Habitat for Humanity isn't free, it has to be repaid for materials, etc, if you can't repay them, they take your home. It appears this lady doesn't have the money, from what I read.
Tracy

United States

#15 Sep 14, 2010
I am willing to drive the 80 miles (one way) at least once a week to help however I can.
I challenge all Oklahomans to do the same.
What if this was your grandmother?
If you can't make the drive, how about a donation?
lee

Norman, OK

#16 Sep 14, 2010
Dear KFOR, please don't let this story die!

I love the sense that we as a "state", can as a community still have compassion in this day and age-maybe a fundraiser or two could help out this woman with her dwelling problem!

I hope you set up a donation center at one of the banks-this was a very touching story-and I believe this woman deserves the help she needs!

Please keep updates on this story- Thank You.

“Let's Make Our World Better!”

Since: Mar 10

Blackwell, OK

#17 Sep 15, 2010
where can we donate money?
brasso

Kingfisher, OK

#18 Sep 21, 2010
I thought this was about Mrs. WRIGHT HOUSE WHY ARE THEY NOW WORRING ABOUT THAT SPONCE SON AND HIS GIRL FREIND . WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO GET HIS SHED UP TO CODE BY PUTTING ELECTRIC and toilet in hell it is not suppose to be there because it wasnt there before 2004. I will push that issue with the city because it is not going to get better for mrs wright with them there to keep on taking every dime she gets. to me that is abuse to the elderly.dhs will be called again on this they use the old garage to take a ---- and johnny just p--- out in the yard should all the neighber have to put up with this whath aboute all of the cockroaches they are investing the neightbors with who is going to take care of that problym. not them like one person put on here he is like a bad cancer she cant get rid of.if pepole realy want to help they need to have channel 4 find out the real truth why do you think the girl freind called channel 4 to start with it was cause her and the sponce wont have no where to go they are not worry about mrs wright just them self
Billgun

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Sep 25, 2010
BEWARE: Both David and Cody Simmons of 1 Stop Construction are con artist. They will make you promises that they won't keep and take your money and run. I know this from experience.And David and Cody got involved for Publicity only.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kingfisher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
terrell monks Jul '15 abused 1
Cashion Town Clerk Jul '15 Morning Joe 7
abuse of power Jul '15 abused 1
Wake up Cashion Jun '15 Good for Cashion 9
con man loose in your area be aware... May '15 angry mom 2
robert bramlet does anyone know this co... May '15 angry mom 1
OSBI investigates sex offense by school employee (Jan '15) Jan '15 Disapointed 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kingfisher Mortgages