Voters differ sharply on flap over pa...

Voters differ sharply on flap over pastor

There are 85 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 22, 2008, titled Voters differ sharply on flap over pastor. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dereck Cummings is an openly gay man and a former Jehovah's Witness who says he isn't in the habit of judging other people on their lifestyles or religion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ed Nelson

Chicago, IL

#87 Mar 31, 2008
The Trice link to this discussion noted that groups differ widely on pastor [Jeremiah wright], as they certainly do/ At the moment I want to discuss that wide differential.

To begin, though, I should probably confess that I feel I'm as "white" as anybody around, and that I hold Rev. Wright's exposition of Liberation Theology is a view that should be spread more generally among us all.

So far as concerns those "differences," many of us seek to know why --- where they come from. And I weant to suggest that it's likely every single theory about the reasons for our differing is probably right.

Certainly our individual backgrounds make a difference. So to our life experiences and our childhood and our schooling (both formal and informal). It's even reasonable to a degree to hold that our individual complexions are influencial -- in that those complexions are so tangled with all the other influences. And, plainly, there are lots more such influences than the few I've mentioned above.

I want to suggest that, for each of us, those outside factors take away from us our personal options. They remove some of our chances to make up our own minds. Without our recognizing it, we're infected with one orientation or another.

That indicates to me the urgent need each of us has to overcome those influences. If only we could build our own personal attitudes entirely on what we know to be true --- not what assumptions we've been infected with, but what we know.

And that knowledge will surely tell all how important it is that we start to understand and appreciate each other. Every one of us is, of course, a mix of varied natures, but a seeming reluctance to concede that good, valuable, desirable,useful, and even beautiful natures are present among all the others -- that reluctance leaves is as moral cripples to one degree or another.

A young guy I worked with briefly a few years ago was clearly bright andminterested in making a contribution to society. He had few large opportunities, but the way he was leading his life weas certainly exemplary.

He invited me to stop by his family's home after work one evening, and surely I didn't want to refuse. The apartment was extremely dark, but had been furnished with great care.(The taste wasn't mine, and I was too limited in experience to appreciate it as I should have.) The family was pleasant, although matriarchal. I feel we all saw a need for a relaxed converation --- but had trouble finding the way. Sadly, I'm no sports fan. My hosts weren't fascinated by literature, new or old. Politics almost came to the rescue, but Jesse Jackson was approachinh his campaign and I felt he expressed some needs the society -- and nation -- was obliged to deal with. My hosts felt he was simply hungry for a place in the spotlight. No real progress.

A variety of virws can by wondrous conversational material, but we simply weren't able tl\o handlly the opportunity well.

That storey is no great contribution to this discussion, except that it might demonstrate that continuing efforts to heal the society to some degree won't be easy. But that does not mean the effort can be abandoned. It means that the effort requires more struggle -- with ourselves as well as each other.
MoLubee

Orlando, FL

#88 Mar 31, 2008
It amazing how after Obama has spent so much time and effort becoming the frontrunner and now has mathematical certainy as the nominee, the Press has begun touting Gore as some sort of compromise placebo nominee, while Hillary's homeboy, Mario Cuomo, wants to force (hillary) onto Obama's ticket as Vice-President.

Gore is a left-wing nut, Mr Global warming, and hasn't shown one shred of interest or expended one iota of effort to deserve consideration. Gore has zero delegates and rates zero consideration. Gores left-wing perspective will send Dem voters and independents to McCain in droves.

As far as Cuomo's gambit to allow Hillary to set up a death watch over Obama's Presidency, Obama would be nuts to agree to that.

Imagine being President with the Clinton's across the street using the Office of the Vice Presidency to undermine and minimize the Office of the Presidency... as Bubba Bill is referred to as "Mr President" by the Press, while Hillary runs the Senate.

It sounds like Cuomo is offering Obama a "back door Presidency" and Cuomo should smoke a cigarette and wink to Hillary if Obama falls for that one.

At best, we would have two Mr Presidents", with the two competing for influence, authority and recognition as leader of the Party.

Hillary as Vice President would create a nightmare scenario for Obama as the best-case scenario.

I say run the Primaries, count the delegates and rely on the Super Delegates to follow the votes of their States and Districts. Unless of course Hillary stops denying reality and decides to quit her failed candidacy.
Juanita

Des Plaines, IL

#89 Apr 2, 2008
It is sad that SOME of white america just refuses ot
get it. Rev. Wright only spoke the truth and the truth
is hard to take. William Cullen Bryant said,"Truth crushed to
the ground will rise again." We might like truth
but it will rise again, again, again.
I am a nurse with a master degree and many of my friends
are continuing to talk about this as we get together.
By the way, Rev. Wright is not running for president.
How about discussing issues-jobs, housing, healthcare?
Juanita

Des Plaines, IL

#90 Apr 2, 2008
sorry for misspelling the two letter word (ot) to. I was listening to
Black talk radio as I was writing my
comment.
George

United States

#91 Apr 10, 2008
Juanita wrote:
sorry for misspelling the two letter word (ot) to. I was listening to
Black talk radio as I was writing my
comment.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT TRUTH????

It suddenly hit me that BO is probably "caught in between". In between races, in between cultures, believes, and perhaps, just perhaps even religions (do we REALLY know?)
I feel that he is a good man who means well. He has taken fullest advantage of the best that our great nation has to offer to those who aspire to a better future and study hard.
But I also feel he is not seasoned enough. He lacks experience and has a mediocre record and resume which shows little sweat and no bold achievements. He effectively overcomes these shortcomings with charm, good posture, nice endorsements, and superb oratory which crumbles, however, when he is not scripted.
What concerns me the most though is his HUGE recently discovered LACK of JUDGEMENT and the fact that we simply do NOT know him.
It is just impossible to believe that he "chose" to associate himself with Pastor Wright and his church for 20 years and never "batted an eye". How can anyone expose ones family and children to such hateful sermons delivered in the name of God?. How can anyone choose this man as ones "spiritual" advisor and visit him, eat with him, have him marry you, baptize your kids and listen to his sermons every weekend for two decades?. Either Barack Obama is very confused and "caught in between" and thus part of him buys into some of this hateful words, or he is plain naive and stupid (not). The other very real and sad possibility is that Barack Obama is one of the most calculating ambitious politicians of recent times. He is someone who appears quite capable and comfortable of doing anything to get where he needs to get, someone who would step over race, over family, over culture, over identity, even parenting values for the sole purpose of his political ambitions - an opportunist.
Any of these possibilities are not only frightening, but immediately disqualify him, in my opinion, for ANY national public post, least of all the Presidency of the United States.
So, as much as I think he is a good man, he will never get my vote. I simply do not know him, and frankly do not trust him.
Sadly, CNN among other media outlets have done little to give this issue enough coverage. He is getting a HUGE pass just by delivering a ‘scripted speech’, no questions? no nothing?. I simply do not understand why the same media that crucifies (often deservinly so) politicians for having extra marital affairs is not interested in probing more into this association which involves indoctrination for 2 decades from someone who is at the very least unpatriotic and racist.
So, as we move closer to the election, I do not think I will be alone in denouncing and rejecting a man who I know very lilittle of even if he has the best of speeches and the best of postures. He is at the very least guilty by association.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King of Prussia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for info on someone in King of Prussia (Mar '10) Aug 25 Wondering 19
News Alleged Delco Nostra leader waives preliminary ... (Nov '08) Aug 10 USS LIBERTY 67
Mayor a Joke, Crook, Commited Adultry (Dec '07) Jul '16 someone close 11
News Montco dance teacher gets jail for sex with stu... (Jun '15) Jul '16 Cotton Picker 2
Review: Value Dry Basement Waterproofing & Remo... (Jul '10) Jul '16 Not An Idiot 24
News Lansdale police want man in connection with bea... (Sep '07) Jul '16 ntownboogie 35
News Cosby's lawyer argues sex assault accuser shoul... Jul '16 cosbys a coward 1

King of Prussia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King of Prussia Mortgages