wantafamilypuppy

King Of Prussia, PA

#1 Jan 15, 2009
WOW, do I hava headache! It has been sooo hard and confusing looking for a family puppy.
The rescues are very strict, we don't have a fence and have young kids plus we wouldn't know if the dog was a mill dog and would cost lots of money down the road because of bad breeding, even if it is a mix, you can still get a unhealthy mixed mill dog later in it's years. That being said, with having young children an older dog is a risk. I believe in rescues and definatley in SPCA's but it's not for everyones situation. So, where does one go to to find a puppy locally? I have searched the internet, it is confusing and mind blowing. We live near TOM'S PET OUTLET in montgomery county pennsylvania. Close to norristown king of prussia collegeville area. I was looking for a small to medium sized low to non shedding family puppy. We wanted to pick it out for ourselves. I have found the task almost impossible. The internet should be a great resource but it is hard to find somone who is not a front for a lancaster mill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked into frazer zoo, ridgewood II, deep run, TLC. We are possibly considering a doodle mix, lhasa, shih, maltese, havanese,eski mix or whoodle, or mixes there of. If any one knows of a good breeder please give me some help.
Thanks
Bark Busters Dog Training

Phoenixville, PA

#2 Jan 15, 2009
Some of the places you have mentioned for a puppy are known brokers for puppy mills. I would suggest looking on Petfinder.com or Craig's list for an independent person or working with smaller rescues that can find the right dog for your family or reputable stores such as Diane's Pets in Coventry. I do know a small indenpendent breeder that has chocolate lab puppies available, but I would recommend a rescue dog.
wantafamilypuppy wrote:
WOW, do I hava headache! It has been sooo hard and confusing looking for a family puppy.
The rescues are very strict, we don't have a fence and have young kids plus we wouldn't know if the dog was a mill dog and would cost lots of money down the road because of bad breeding, even if it is a mix, you can still get a unhealthy mixed mill dog later in it's years. That being said, with having young children an older dog is a risk. I believe in rescues and definatley in SPCA's but it's not for everyones situation. So, where does one go to to find a puppy locally? I have searched the internet, it is confusing and mind blowing. We live near TOM'S PET OUTLET in montgomery county pennsylvania. Close to norristown king of prussia collegeville area. I was looking for a small to medium sized low to non shedding family puppy. We wanted to pick it out for ourselves. I have found the task almost impossible. The internet should be a great resource but it is hard to find somone who is not a front for a lancaster mill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked into frazer zoo, ridgewood II, deep run, TLC. We are possibly considering a doodle mix, lhasa, shih, maltese, havanese,eski mix or whoodle, or mixes there of. If any one knows of a good breeder please give me some help.
Thanks
HasaFamilyPuppy

Downingtown, PA

#3 Apr 14, 2009
Hey,
I got all my dogs from the Frazer Zoo and Ive never had any problems. They seem rather knowledgeable about their puppies, helpful, friendly and they stand by their sales. Most importantly, they genuinely seem to care for their dogs and as far as pet stores go, I personally think they are the best around, you could definitely do far worse than them.
A couple of my friends and family have also gotten their puppies from them as well. Not all of them have had as issue free experience as I had (a cold here or there is to be expected) and from their experiences, I can say just make sure you pay attention to their warranties. They stand by their warranties but only if you follow the proper procedure even if you dont, they sometimes will still reimburse you.
brittany

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Oct 12, 2009
I got a chihuahua from the Frazer Zoo. It died 6 months later. The Vet said probably neurological issues from inbreeding. Turned our his "certificate" was bogus. They should be shut down.
walt

Narberth, PA

#5 Jul 8, 2011
they sell puppy mill dogs who are sick!! do not buy pets from them!!!
endo

Norristown, PA

#6 Jul 8, 2011
Stay away from those mills, including those places like Tom's & other mom & pop stores. It's true you say it's not for every situation, but the SPCA over in Conshohocken is where I found my dog. He was a stray & untrained. I've had him for 6yrs now & he's the best $50 I've ever spent! Shots & neutered all from the SPCA. I trained him with no fence, no collars, nothing but the basics & he got it all. Doesn't go on furniture, counter surf, runaway, or raid trashcans. In fact, as an avid off-road cyclist I trained the dog to ride w/me. He runs off-leash right along side me when we're out. Sure you're gonna have some hard issues. I repaired cabinets, walls, cleaned the accidents, but you're bound to get it w/any dog. But if you tough it out w/the rescued dog & learn their quirks or can figure out why the original person gave it up, you'll find they are highly appreciative of you.
endo

Norristown, PA

#7 Jul 8, 2011
btw, mutts are the least likely to have the health issues of purebred dogs. do the research on the specific breeds you're considering too so you don't have a high energy dog matched w/a moderate energy family. this is where ppl give up their dogs b/c they don't know what to do w/the energy. labs for example are great pets but you have to know they are power chewers as pups & have tons of puppy energy for a few years, so you really gotta match that in order to keep sane.
just my opinion here, but don't fall for the designer dogs. you're ultimately buying a high priced mutt.
Beverlylamon

Bladensburg, MD

#8 Nov 3, 2016
Any puppy can have issues, the one you get from a shelter or rescue or pet store. I do not support puppy mills or the mistreatment of animals. You need to do your homework, also take someone with you who can guide you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King of Prussia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Samantha's Towing & Recovery (Nov '10) Dec 4 dave 7
Brooklyn Letter Nov 20 Missouri 1
Facebook scammers Oct '17 HesAThief 1
News Alleged Delco Nostra leader waives preliminary ... (Nov '08) Oct '17 Corp crime report 74
Norristown High Speed EXTENSION to bring more w... (Jan '13) Oct '17 Mayor James Kenney 2
Anyone Else have Del Buono for a landlord? (Aug '11) Sep '17 Kristin Emmert 12
News Chesco Vet Accused of Animal Cruelty (Jul '06) Sep '17 John 245

King of Prussia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King of Prussia Mortgages