Update: Driver Charged in Cyclist's D...

Update: Driver Charged in Cyclist's Death

There are 66 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Jul 28, 2010, titled Update: Driver Charged in Cyclist's Death. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A King woman was charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle after she struck two cyclists in Winston- Salem last week, killing one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
observer

Clayton, NC

#1 Jul 28, 2010
it' about time.
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#2 Jul 28, 2010
what a shame to charge this woman with a crime.ride ya freakin bike in the park or at home like all the rest little kids, that way nobody gets hurt. DA in stokes county is a dickhead.Bet he's out next election
observer

Clayton, NC

#3 Jul 28, 2010
somewhere wrote:
what a shame to charge this woman with a crime.ride ya freakin bike in the park or at home like all the rest little kids, that way nobody gets hurt. DA in stokes county is a dickhead.Bet he's out next election
is it a shame to charge someone that by her negligence took the life of a beloved member of someone's family & seriously injured another.the roads aren't just for cars. you just don't get it & evidently never will. more people should be riding bikes to work, as it would be better for the environment & for their health. drivers bear the responsibility of paying attention to what they're doing every time they get behind the wheel. her bad driving took a life of a man that was doing nothing wrong. i guess if you got killed by a tractor trailer on an interstate, it would be okay as he pays more road tax than you & you were in his way. how illogical & callous can you be. i feel sorry for your soul come judgement day. nobody would've been hurt if she hadn't been in such a rush & had been paying attention to the road & surroundings as required by law. like it or not' bikes are legal on roads, as are horses(which roads were originally built for) & farm equipment & it is the drivers responsibility to safely make it around them. the ignorance of many people in the world amazes me.
DAWG

Thomasville, NC

#4 Jul 28, 2010
observer wrote:
it' about time.
And how many crimes have you solved there smart GUY!
If the investigation was'nt going fast enuff for you what did you do to help it along! nothing you just sit and Bit#*, right!
dgsage

Mocksville, NC

#5 Jul 28, 2010
I am a cyclist and a law enforcement officer, I truly believe that the people who have been stating the opinions that bikes should not be on the road are just imature. I truly believe that all people should have to retest both written law tests and practicale driving test every 5 years. It is a shame when a cyclist is killed or injured. But it is not always the motorists fault so the cyclist should also ride with awareness and defensivly, I have actually had a person run into my patrol car that was setting on the road with all the emergency lights on, while blocking a disabled vehicle. This driver stated that they never saw the patrol car. Tell me how you could miss this car with emergency lights activated.
Concerned Citizen

High Point, NC

#6 Jul 28, 2010
The problem with bikes on roads is this: Cyclists on average are obnoxious idiots that think they have more rights than anyone else because they are on a bike. The ONLY right they have is to be on the road. They do not have the right to put me, or my family at risk for the sake of sport. Just like this lady, we are ALL responsible for these idiots. They pay no taxes for using the roads, salaries for law enforcement, fire & rescue, etc.

They pay for no insurance to cover injuries to person or damage to property. If it were proven that THEY caused an accident, you would have to hire a lawyer and take them to court at your expense. Why is it that nobody seems to think that a cyclist could be at fault in these accidents.

I personally have had one of these nuts hear me coming, look over his shoulder and pull out into the middle of my lane to force me to slow down. I was coming around a curve and did not have time to get slowed down to avoid hitting him, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to get around him, missing a cement truck coming the other way by less then 100 feet.( That's close if you've ever had one coming straight at you) Needless to say I was very upset. I pulled over, waved him over to me and we had a "prayer meeting" right there on the side of the road.

I told him next time he might not be that lucky. I would wipe him off of the planet if it came down to mine or my families safety.

Best wished to the lady and her family. Sorry for the life lost also, but that guy put himself in a dangerous situation and he is responsible for that decision, not the rest of us.
Concerned Citizen

High Point, NC

#7 Jul 28, 2010
One more thing...talking about rights... you have the right to smoke, drink, over-eat, shout racial slurs, play with loaded guns, climg mountians, hang-glide, parachute, ride horses..you get the picture...

What do all of these things have in common? THEY ARE DANGEROUS!! They are taken part in by choice. Some of these are under government control because of this but you can still hurt yorself if you want to.

Big picture...cyclists do not want to be responsible for themselves. They want to be taken care of by the rest of us. If you're tired of having to pay for everyone else’s stupidity, talk to your local city leaders and commissioners to get these people off the roads and off your list of responsibilities... I already have enough, don't you?
Slow down

Greensboro, NC

#8 Jul 28, 2010
I hope she does get jail time.
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#9 Jul 28, 2010
observer wrote:
<quoted text>is it a shame to charge someone that by her negligence took the life of a beloved member of someone's family & seriously injured another.the roads aren't just for cars. you just don't get it & evidently never will. more people should be riding bikes to work, as it would be better for the environment & for their health. drivers bear the responsibility of paying attention to what they're doing every time they get behind the wheel. her bad driving took a life of a man that was doing nothing wrong. i guess if you got killed by a tractor trailer on an interstate, it would be okay as he pays more road tax than you & you were in his way. how illogical & callous can you be. i feel sorry for your soul come judgement day. nobody would've been hurt if she hadn't been in such a rush & had been paying attention to the road & surroundings as required by law. like it or not' bikes are legal on roads, as are horses(which roads were originally built for) & farm equipment & it is the drivers responsibility to safely make it around them. the ignorance of many people in the world amazes me.
Let me tell ya something ya proubly dont no. I spent 30 years in a 18 wheeler after that i owned many more I have safe driving awards older than you are i never injured or killed anyone i payed more taxes to operate on the highways than you nand your family put together.you jus a punk kid wanna get you way. no sympathy here you wanna put ya little bike out there with them big vehicles go ahead i dont care jus dont cry when ya get ya ass run over.the lady would not have a crime to deal with if you kids were in the park where you should be. thats all im sayin. come on get ya bike out and ride anywhere ya want i continue to get laughs outta this. its like watchin beavis and butthead exactly
All I can say is WOW

Bellefontaine, OH

#10 Jul 28, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
The problem with bikes on roads is this: Cyclists on average are obnoxious idiots that think they have more rights than anyone else because they are on a bike. The ONLY right they have is to be on the road. They do not have the right to put me, or my family at risk for the sake of sport. Just like this lady, we are ALL responsible for these idiots. They pay no taxes for using the roads, salaries for law enforcement, fire & rescue, etc.
They pay for no insurance to cover injuries to person or damage to property. If it were proven that THEY caused an accident, you would have to hire a lawyer and take them to court at your expense. Why is it that nobody seems to think that a cyclist could be at fault in these accidents.
I personally have had one of these nuts hear me coming, look over his shoulder and pull out into the middle of my lane to force me to slow down. I was coming around a curve and did not have time to get slowed down to avoid hitting him, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to get around him, missing a cement truck coming the other way by less then 100 feet.( That's close if you've ever had one coming straight at you) Needless to say I was very upset. I pulled over, waved him over to me and we had a "prayer meeting" right there on the side of the road.
I told him next time he might not be that lucky. I would wipe him off of the planet if it came down to mine or my families safety.
Best wished to the lady and her family. Sorry for the life lost also, but that guy put himself in a dangerous situation and he is responsible for that decision, not the rest of us.
So what does "prayer meeting" mean? Did you let off some road rage?

Honestly, I have been almost hit several times, while driving in my vehicle (and my husband as well), by inattentive drivers. Most of the time they were texting. You know, you act like all motorists are careful and attentive, and its all they cyclists fault when concerning these situations. Unless you are "G_D", I don't think you have witnessed every single accident that has occurred between motorists and cyclists.

If I were a betting person (which I am not), I would be willing to bet that a majority of the time its the motorist's fault. That is because people become so lackadaisical when it comes to driving.

As for the cyclists, a majority of them take up the activity for health reasons. They are usually very health conscientious, caring about proper nutrition, excercise and overall general health. And the reason why they would put forth such an effort would be for longevity...aka a long life. I am sure they wouldn't carelessly risk that just to prove they "own the road."

As a former military member who has had to stand duty and watches, we were trained to expect the unexpected. Be diligent and alert at all times. This is why I am a defensive driver. I have avoided accidents because I am more aware of what they other driver is doing than they are of themselves. We should all drive in that manner.

Or better yet, try driving around New York City for a day, where people ignore stop signs, traffic signals, lights, and right of way. Then you will know what it means to be a defensive driver.
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#11 Jul 28, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
One more thing...talking about rights... you have the right to smoke, drink, over-eat, shout racial slurs, play with loaded guns, climg mountians, hang-glide, parachute, ride horses..you get the picture...
What do all of these things have in common? THEY ARE DANGEROUS!! They are taken part in by choice. Some of these are under government control because of this but you can still hurt yorself if you want to.
Big picture...cyclists do not want to be responsible for themselves. They want to be taken care of by the rest of us. If you're tired of having to pay for everyone else’s stupidity, talk to your local city leaders and commissioners to get these people off the roads and off your list of responsibilities... I already have enough, don't you?
heck yea
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#12 Jul 28, 2010
dgsage wrote:
I am a cyclist and a law enforcement officer, I truly believe that the people who have been stating the opinions that bikes should not be on the road are just imature. I truly believe that all people should have to retest both written law tests and practicale driving test every 5 years. It is a shame when a cyclist is killed or injured. But it is not always the motorists fault so the cyclist should also ride with awareness and defensivly, I have actually had a person run into my patrol car that was setting on the road with all the emergency lights on, while blocking a disabled vehicle. This driver stated that they never saw the patrol car. Tell me how you could miss this car with emergency lights activated.
the pot callin the kettle black????
observer

Clayton, NC

#13 Jul 28, 2010
DAWG wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many crimes have you solved there smart GUY!
If the investigation was'nt going fast enuff for you what did you do to help it along! nothing you just sit and Bit#*, right!
i've never solved a crime, da, because that's not my job. if it were, she'd have been charged at the scene. the d.a.(not da-like you) would handle it from there. if it were my job it would be done correctly. learn to spell & maybe your reports can be processed more expediently(that means quicker,in your venacular{way of speaking}). no wonder it took so long.evidently idiots were in charge of the investigation.
observer

Clayton, NC

#14 Jul 28, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
i don't knw of any cyclist that thinks they have more rights than anyone else. they also drive. seriously, how could a bicicle put you & your family at risk? are they going to run you down? duh! you put yourself at risk by not driving responsibly. the only way a cyclist could put you at risk is if he was coming straight at you in your lane causing you to swerve to avoid him. by you coming from behind, it is your responsibility to see the cyclist & slow down until you can pass safely which is part of being a safe & responsible driver. cyclists pay all the same taxes as you do, as they also(almost all of them) drive.salaries for law enforcement? this is paid for through state, federal & local taxes that everyone pays. i'm sorry that you had to slow down once. have you never had to slow down for a car or a tractor? you need tolearn to drive more defensively. your rant carries no weight & you are lucky you didn't pull over & impose your "prayer meeting" w/ me, as you wouldn't have enjoyed it.
Anonymous

Montgomery, AL

#16 Jul 29, 2010
I hate cyclist's, and I wish I could run them over as well. Yes it may be legal to ride your bike on a busy road, but it is still highly dangerous. Coming around a curve it may be impossible to stop after seeing some dumbasss cyclist in front of you. Go ride your bikes in a park, or on the sidewalk.
splat

High Point, NC

#17 Jul 29, 2010
Look at it like this. If you rode a bicycle on the train tracks long enough, what do you think would eventually happen? Would you blame the engineer???? All the idiots have to do to stay alive is stay off the tracks (road) but will they? Heck no. So they end up dead, and another law abiding motorist gets charged for a pompous cyclists stupid decision to get in harms way. It ain't hard to figure out how this whole thing could've been avoided. BICYCLES DON'T BELONG IN TRAFFIC. PERIOD!!
nyer

Asheboro, NC

#18 Jul 29, 2010
I've never seen so much hatred as I've seen from here. And I am from New York, where people are nicer to cyclists.
You southerners have a lot to learn about manners, and sharing.
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#19 Jul 29, 2010
nyer wrote:
I've never seen so much hatred as I've seen from here. And I am from New York, where people are nicer to cyclists.
You southerners have a lot to learn about manners, and sharing.
GO HOME
Concerned Citizen

High Point, NC

#20 Jul 29, 2010
Some of you are missing the point here... I don't hate cyclists. I hate their attitude and the fact that I might be responsible for their stupid decision to do something dangerous. Not all of them are bad, but the few that are cause the general public to view them all as trouble.

And to correct some posters here, show me a registration and license that proves you pay EXTRA fees and taxes for the use of the road, and a reciept that shows you have insurance to cover yourself in case of an accident. Everyone pays taxes.

It's like the bail-out for the banks and the Gulf oil spill. We are all paying for what someone else did... and I HATE the taste of that...
nyer

Asheboro, NC

#21 Jul 29, 2010
Somewhere? Don't think I will. I'd rather just remind you to have some of that southern hospitality we all hear about, and use it on the roads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mike boles Jan '18 amanda 2
yuck (Oct '17) Dec '17 jamie c 2
Teens in King, NC (Jan '07) Dec '17 tommy white 29
charlie lawson (Aug '07) Dec '17 tommy white 91
Black Honda Civic/looked like spoon wheels (Jul '17) Jul '17 Twag06 2
Local bands in king (Apr '08) Dec '16 My Tats 2
who is this sexy tatted up white guy? he just ... (Apr '11) Dec '16 My Tats 6

King Jobs

Personal Finance

King Mortgages