Group Brings Christian Flag to Memori...

Group Brings Christian Flag to Memorial, Marching in Protest

There are 502 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Sep 21, 2010, titled Group Brings Christian Flag to Memorial, Marching in Protest. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A group marching in protest of the removal of the Christian flag at the Veterans Memorial in King brought a new flag to the site on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
speakup2

Dobson, NC

#1 Sep 23, 2010
Wow, that sure is a lot of people.
OKAY

Winston Salem, NC

#2 Sep 23, 2010
so it is offending to put up a cross at a memorial. whats next, the cemetery calling people to say they have to remove the cross and flower's at our parents and grandparents grave or at our dead child's grave... seriously.

the city of king will not stand up to the aclu because they don't have $300,000 to spend.. hey king, i don't have $300,000 to spend either but if they told me to take down my cross they would get more than a just fight..

this is not about money it is about a hate group(aclu) that wants to impose its will on the american people..

they can shove it.(and being christian does not mean that you lay down and let some liberal garbage come along and take the last few rights you have left away from you.)

if they want they can spend money on a memorial and put up a aclu flag or a athiest, or muslim, or buddha, or rainbow, or whatever the heck they stand for flag.....lol
Kevin

Clemmons, NC

#3 Sep 23, 2010
I am a Christian but flying the flag at the memorial is illegal, pure and simple. What is so hard to understand? And sorry, Okay, the ACLU is NOT anti-Christian. Over and over again the ACLU has represented Christians, Christian organizations and Christian denominations when civil rights are being violated but you do not hear about those cases because then you couldn't demonize the ACLU. You can pray, fly the flag etc all you want as long as no "state action" is involved. NONE of your "rights" have been taken away! This is the law of our country and those being memorialized, Christian and otherwise, fought to protect the Constitutional rights of ALL Americans.
Kate

Pfafftown, NC

#4 Sep 23, 2010
These people have nothing better to do on a Thursday afternoon? Seriously?
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Sep 23, 2010
No, it is about what the law requires, which almost nobody on this board seems to have a clue about.

The Establishment clause is the law whether anyone is offended or not.

Cemetaries fall under Free Exercise, not Establishment, so your slippery slope argument is already debunked.

The City of King will not stand up to the ACLU because THE ACLU IS RIGHT ABOUT THIS ONE AND THE COURTS WILL AGREE. Simple. The City is wrong.

Oh, and by the way, the ACLU wouldn't tell you to take down YOUR cross on private property. In fact, they would be on your side. You fail to understand this, because you do not understand the difference between the Free Exercise clause and the Establishment clause of the First Amendment.

Your other comments about the ACLU show a shocking, but unforunately all too common ignorance.
Long story short, you really just don't get it.
Luke

New York, NY

#6 Sep 23, 2010
You know who else marched with Christian flags? Crusaders.
In support of Residents

High Point, NC

#7 Sep 23, 2010
If we start taking down the Christian flag for people that has come to this country; then we are defying our right and what this country was built upon! That is what is wrong with GOVERNMENT today. They want to satify everyone from other countries and not people that were born in this Free country! "IN GOD WE TRUST"! And if others don't like it; they need to leave this country!!!!!!!!
FOUND STEVE

United States

#8 Sep 23, 2010
Kevin wrote:
I am a Christian but flying the flag at the memorial is illegal, pure and simple. What is so hard to understand? And sorry, Okay, the ACLU is NOT anti-Christian. Over and over again the ACLU has represented Christians, Christian organizations and Christian denominations when civil rights are being violated but you do not hear about those cases because then you couldn't demonize the ACLU. You can pray, fly the flag etc all you want as long as no "state action" is involved. NONE of your "rights" have been taken away! This is the law of our country and those being memorialized, Christian and otherwise, fought to protect the Constitutional rights of ALL Americans.
Just curious...What do you consider a Christian?
Kevin

Clemmons, NC

#9 Sep 23, 2010
Tamerlane- welcome to life in North Carolina. The ACLU is regularly demonized around here by people who have no idea that the ACLU regularly represents Christian individuals, organizations and churches. If a Christian is being denied their civil liberties the ACLU is right there to fight for them. The ACLU is not anti-Christian or anti-any religion or pro any religion. Its sole purpose to to fight for individual liberties against government intrusion. But they make an easy target for the ignorant.
Robin

Nashville, NC

#10 Sep 23, 2010
This is uncalled for! To think people want to take The Christian Flag from a memorial, a veteran memorial at that! It should stay! To the vet that wants it removed! How do you think you came home walking and not in a pine box! God almighty brought you home!
WTF is wrong with u

Asheboro, NC

#11 Sep 23, 2010
Someone needs to tell this Afghanistan War Vetaran to go the H--- Home! Maybe he can't see Kings' flag.
If we can't fly our Christian flags what kind of country have we become.
Come on people stand up for our rights!
Take your A-- BACK HOME Afghanistan! You don't belong here!!!!!!!!!!
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Sep 23, 2010
In support of Residents wrote:
If we start taking down the Christian flag for people that has come to this country; then we are defying our right and what this country was built upon! That is what is wrong with GOVERNMENT today. They want to satify everyone from other countries and not people that were born in this Free country! "IN GOD WE TRUST"! And if others don't like it; they need to leave this country!!!!!!!!
Sheesh.

We take down expression of religion in circumstances in which they are constitutionally impermissible. Our own laws are at work here, not some anti-Christian conspiracy by furry little foreigners.

Don't they teach basic civics where you live?
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#13 Sep 23, 2010
Kevin wrote:
Tamerlane- welcome to life in North Carolina. The ACLU is regularly demonized around here by people who have no idea that the ACLU regularly represents Christian individuals, organizations and churches. If a Christian is being denied their civil liberties the ACLU is right there to fight for them. The ACLU is not anti-Christian or anti-any religion or pro any religion. Its sole purpose to to fight for individual liberties against government intrusion. But they make an easy target for the ignorant.
Kentucky and Oklahoma are even worse, from what I can gather from the post on this board.

http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com

It's pernicious and sometimes willful ignorance of the law that drives these people. They believe whatever they are told, like good little sheep, on the OReilly Factor (barf) or some rightwingnut website. One would think that at least some of them would be literate enough to do some honest Googling and be able to discern objective information from the spew they get from sources like those, but...to do that they would have to know what any American high school civics student should know.

Looks like a lot of them missed that class.
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#14 Sep 23, 2010
WTF is wrong with u wrote:
Someone needs to tell this Afghanistan War Vetaran to go the H--- Home! Maybe he can't see Kings' flag.
If we can't fly our Christian flags what kind of country have we become.
Come on people stand up for our rights!
Take your A-- BACK HOME Afghanistan! You don't belong here!!!!!!!!!!
As a veteran, he no doubt swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, which is exactly what he is doing.

So, why do YOU hate America so much?
nate

United States

#15 Sep 23, 2010
Who is Steve? I cannot believe a town as small as King and no one knows for sure..
disgusted

United States

#16 Sep 23, 2010
They don't teach civics or history classes here! Heck most of the people who were born here don't know who won the civil war!
OKAY

Winston Salem, NC

#17 Sep 23, 2010
Tamerlane wrote:
No, it is about what the law requires, which almost nobody on this board seems to have a clue about.
The Establishment clause is the law whether anyone is offended or not.
Cemetaries fall under Free Exercise, not Establishment, so your slippery slope argument is already debunked.
The City of King will not stand up to the ACLU because THE ACLU IS RIGHT ABOUT THIS ONE AND THE COURTS WILL AGREE. Simple. The City is wrong.
Oh, and by the way, the ACLU wouldn't tell you to take down YOUR cross on private property. In fact, they would be on your side. You fail to understand this, because you do not understand the difference between the Free Exercise clause and the Establishment clause of the First Amendment.
Your other comments about the ACLU show a shocking, but unforunately all too common ignorance.
Long story short, you really just don't get it.
oh i'm the ignorant one..i get it. its the whole separation of church and state thing that i don't get... right.(sarcasm)

thats why we have to got to washington dc and remove all of the references to God from the monuments so we don't offend you, and also we need to recall all of our money to take the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" off of it, and no longer allow prayer anywhere(never mind we already got that one covered)and we should go back in time and rewrite the constitution and restructure everything since it was founded around God and His moral principles........your idea separation of church and state doesn't make any sense any more now does it. maybe because you are misreading what that law was designed to do.(it was not to push God off of city property)

trust me on this one, the aclu is not on my side ok. they are trying to make this a legal issue when it is a mind your own business issue..... if the majority of king residents want to fly a "christian" flag then let them. and keep your opinion in florida. you have enough to deal with.
Kay

High Point, NC

#18 Sep 23, 2010
Why doesn't the media just go ahead and put his name and picture in the paper (which is what he ultimately wants) then ignore the situation. He just needs a life. Idiot.
somewhere

Holly Springs, NC

#20 Sep 23, 2010
Come on people don't you get it, anywhere but goverment property.just not on goverment property.No not on goverment property.lets see how else can i say it,Absoluty not on goverment property
JCoffey

Gaithersburg, MD

#21 Sep 23, 2010
WTF is wrong with u wrote:
Someone needs to tell this Afghanistan War Vetaran to go the H--- Home! Maybe he can't see Kings' flag.
If we can't fly our Christian flags what kind of country have we become.
Come on people stand up for our rights!
Take your A-- BACK HOME Afghanistan! You don't belong here!!!!!!!!!!
**********
Seriously? Are you really that stupid?
1 - the veteran is an AMERICAN vet. So when you say go the H*** home where exactly do you mean?
2 - You can fly your christian flag anywhere you want - as long as it is PRIVATE property. That would make us a country that follows the Constitution and the US Supreme Court.
3 - I believe you are trying to say "BACK HOME to Afghanistan". Again, the person is an AMERICAN war vet. An American citizen. He IS home you fool.

While admirable that you can read you seriously need to work on your comprehension. Next time ask a grown-up to explain the big words to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local bands in king (Apr '08) Dec '16 My Tats 2
who is this sexy tatted up white guy? he just ... (Apr '11) Dec '16 My Tats 6
News N.C. town sued over sculpture of soldier with c... (Jan '15) Dec '16 Spotted Girl 4
Vote for Donald J Trump Oct '16 MAGA 1
trick or treating (Oct '11) Oct '16 Sheltiemama 2
Looking for Terry Walden (Apr '16) Apr '16 info please 1
charlie lawson (Aug '07) Feb '16 Laura 87

King Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King Mortgages