Vets stand guard over Christian flag ...

Vets stand guard over Christian flag in NC town

There are 12 comments on the Fox News story from Oct 21, 2010, titled Vets stand guard over Christian flag in NC town. In it, Fox News reports that:

The Christian flag is everywhere in the small city of King: flying in front of barbecue joints and hair salons, stuck to the bumpers of trucks, hanging in windows and emblazoned on T-shirts. The relatively obscure emblem has become omnipresent because of one place it can't appear: flying above a war memorial in a public park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

Sue Palmer

United States

#1 Oct 21, 2010
Leave the Christian flag alone. This country was founded on religious freedom and we were established as a Christian nation.
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Oct 21, 2010
Sue Palmer wrote:
Leave the Christian flag alone. This country was founded on religious freedom and we were established as a Christian nation.
You just contradicted yourself. How can we have religious freedom (for everyone, not just Christians) if you think we are a "Christian nation?"

We can't. Legally we are NOT a Christian nation. Go read the First Amendment.
Robert Davis

Clemmons, NC

#3 Oct 21, 2010
You may say that we cannot be a Christian Nation, but the Supreme Court of these United States declared the United States to be a "Christian nation" not once but twice as shown in the case of "Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States 143 U.S. 457" (1892):

"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation." 143 U.S. 457 (1892)

The following text cited from the Holy Trinity case comes from the Illinois State Supreme Courtís Richmond v. Moore case of 1883

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of The Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian..."

Those that do not want to answer to God can say whatever you want, but it will never change to truth. Seperation of Church and State was not in the Constitution and was meant to prevent the Nation for claiming ONE denomination within Christianity, not religion itself.
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#4 Oct 21, 2010
Those cases are no longer valid, and have been superseded and overruled since 1892.

Seriously. 1892? That's all you've got?

Demographically this is a (mostly) Christian nation. Legally is is absolutely not, per the plain language of the Establishment clause itself.

This is a no-brainer.
BroncoBuster

Houghton, MI

#5 Oct 21, 2010
ha, the veterans have the right build their own own personal memorial and hang the christian flag on it, but the line is crossed when the veterans violate their lifetime oath by having the city put the christian flag up. But, americans cheat and lie all the time, so why shouldn't veterans be alowed to do the same?
Sue

Circle Pines, MN

#6 Oct 21, 2010
Sue Palmer wrote:
Stand firm veterans. I would like to contact them and offer my support. Time to take our country back from those who would abuse the constitution and dishonor those before them who have served and even died to protect it. God bless America
John

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Oct 22, 2010
I really can't believe this is even an issue. People have apparently WAY to much time on their hands in King, NC. So for all you that don't seem to get it, here ya go.

First, The local government IS picking a religion to support by paying for flags that have a religious meaning.

Second, the Christian flag that they picked is ONLY a flag of Protestants. So any argument that we are a christian nation not allowed to choose one form of Christianity over another is moot. Or are Catholics not Christians in King, NC???

Third, who cares. It's a crappy looking memorial in a town that 99.9% of Americans have never even heard of. If they want to display a picture of Susan Boyle over the town square, who cares?

The majority of the public seem to have turned into a bunch of hypersensitive jerks lately.
Sue Palmer

United States

#8 Oct 22, 2010
John wrote:
I really can't believe this is even an issue. People have apparently WAY to much time on their hands in King, NC. So for all you that don't seem to get it, here ya go.
First, The local government IS picking a religion to support by paying for flags that have a religious meaning.
Second, the Christian flag that they picked is ONLY a flag of Protestants. So any argument that we are a christian nation not allowed to choose one form of Christianity over another is moot. Or are Catholics not Christians in King, NC???
Third, who cares. It's a crappy looking memorial in a town that 99.9% of Americans have never even heard of. If they want to display a picture of Susan Boyle over the town square, who cares?
The majority of the public seem to have turned into a bunch of hypersensitive jerks lately.
The majority of the public seem to have turned into a bunch of hypersensitive jerks lately - Yes we have, what happened to The Founders believed that "all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."
trikeman

Elizabethton, TN

#9 Oct 22, 2010
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Stand firm veterans. I would like to contact them and offer my support. Time to take our country back from those who would abuse the constitution and dishonor those before them who have served and even died to protect it. God bless America
sue, u might have the american flag tied too tightly about your person, constraining blood flow to your northern vital areas. r u suggesting that not to be christian is unconstitutional. by golly, that's exactly how the spanish inquisitors thought. how about muslim, buddhist, hindu, american indian, shinto, and/or any number of other religious denominational flag(s)? before u respond in a manner which i can easily predict, let me assure u that members of these denominations have fought bravely and died in support of this country in years past. e.g. go read about hmoung tribesmen before you respond....
Sue Palmer

United States

#10 Oct 22, 2010
trikeman wrote:
<quoted text>
sue, u might have the american flag tied too tightly about your person, constraining blood flow to your northern vital areas. r u suggesting that not to be christian is unconstitutional. by golly, that's exactly how the spanish inquisitors thought. how about muslim, buddhist, hindu, american indian, shinto, and/or any number of other religious denominational flag(s)? before u respond in a manner which i can easily predict, let me assure u that members of these denominations have fought bravely and died in support of this country in years past. e.g. go read about hmoung tribesmen before you respond....
My quote came from the Constitution
jonah and the big fish

Winston Salem, NC

#11 Oct 23, 2010
Sue Palmer wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of the public seem to have turned into a bunch of hypersensitive jerks lately - Yes we have, what happened to The Founders believed that "all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."
Sue. it appears to me that the christians are the ones being hypersensitive. The city council decided to take the christian flag down. Then all the christians got in an uproar to fight to get it put back up. Kettle-black!
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Oct 27, 2010
Sue Palmer wrote:
<quoted text>
My quote came from the Constitution
No Sue, it didn't.

It came from the Declaration of Independence, which is not a source of law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Boutique Hoarders (Sep '14) Aug 23 Amanda 3
Kendra Dawn Smith Aug 20 Warned you 1
Should I take suboxen Jul 31 ANTIgallia 2
does anyone know john pickering Jul 31 nope 2
Blackburns Store Jul '15 Cool Stang Daddy 1
News War Vet Asks King To Remove Cross From Memorial (Sep '10) Jul '15 NOT in ILL 46
News N.C. town sued over sculpture of soldier with c... (Jan '15) Jun '15 Spotted Girl 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

King Mortgages