Monument at King Vets Memorial to Stay

Monument at King Vets Memorial to Stay

There are 194 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Sep 24, 2010, titled Monument at King Vets Memorial to Stay. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A monument at the King veteran's memorial depicting a soldier kneeling in front a cross will stay after all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
adrock

High Point, NC

#1 Sep 24, 2010
just a thought, but "could" the city sell the property that the monument is on to a private citizen?

What I mean is....sell the square foot property that covers the area of the monument to a private citizen and thus the land becomes "private property"...albeit, very small?....and therefore is no longer city property...a private citizen can basically do what they want with "their" property
hd72m

Greensboro, NC

#2 Sep 24, 2010
Church and state is not in the constitution,look this up
Amendment #1
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise there of
Christine

Greensboro, NC

#3 Sep 24, 2010
Whoever this guy is, he needs to go away. He is nothing but a cowerd and needs to read the constitution. The phrase about church and state was put in there to protect the church from the state not the other way around. Our country was built on Christian ethics and Blblical princapals. If you don't believe that, then pack up and go somewhere else. I'd be happy to supply the ticket! Now he wants to take the monument down! What's next, dig up all the crosses in Arlington Cemetary? Why is it Christians get ridiculed when we want to express our beliefs but we have to put up with all the junk the world has to offer. We like adults turn the chanel, station, or just look the other way. We have that choice so who ever you are suck it up look the other way or just get out!
Papa Bear

Winston Salem, NC

#4 Sep 24, 2010
Christine wrote:
Whoever this guy is, he needs to go away. He is nothing but a cowerd and needs to read the constitution. The phrase about church and state was put in there to protect the church from the state not the other way around. Our country was built on Christian ethics and Blblical princapals. If you don't believe that, then pack up and go somewhere else. I'd be happy to supply the ticket! Now he wants to take the monument down! What's next, dig up all the crosses in Arlington Cemetary? Why is it Christians get ridiculed when we want to express our beliefs but we have to put up with all the junk the world has to offer. We like adults turn the chanel, station, or just look the other way. We have that choice so who ever you are suck it up look the other way or just get out!
You talk how Christians are being ridiculed? In the bible Jesus tells his disciples and people who are christians are going to be looked upon because we follow Jesus and that we believe in him. We are going to be ridculed because we do not belong with this world, we have a mission and that is to tell people the Message that Jesus gave the disciples to give to us to tell the World that he is "THE WAY" to Salvation.
opec

Mount Airy, NC

#5 Sep 24, 2010
Come to think about it, hasn't the memorial been there for about a year? If so, then why are they waiting until now to complain?

Like I say, it has NOTHING to do with the Constitution, but to just harass people and trying to rid the world of God.

Personally I believe that, and it's been shown that God is instilled in us from conception. It's over the years that some of us move away from Him. But even when we move away from Him, we still know He is there; they just willfully deny the truth.
Nam Vet 1968

Eden, NC

#6 Sep 24, 2010
How can so few (one) force so many to do something that everyone knows is wrong?

What about our Christian rights?
WEALLHAVERIGHTS

Mount Airy, NC

#7 Sep 24, 2010
While understand this person has rights, so do all the others who worked to build this memorial. If this veteran does not approve of the monument, he should stay away. They stated that he doesn't want his name know for fear of retaliation, I want him to know that I feel sorry for him I hope that he can step back and realize that many of those who served beside him were Christians and they have a right to their beliefs also. If he wants a different memorial built, he should come up with a proposal to build one and raise the funds to build the memorial, but not destroy the beliefs, dreams and efforts of those Veterns in King who worked so hard to get their memorial built.
WEALLHAVERIGHTS

Mount Airy, NC

#8 Sep 24, 2010
Nam Vet 1968 wrote:
How can so few (one) force so many to do something that everyone knows is wrong?
What about our Christian rights?
Thank you for your service to our country.
Chuck Hannah

Fort Lawn, SC

#9 Sep 24, 2010
I am a Marine veteran and a Christian. I stand for freedom and the American way. Why does one person have the right to offend the many? I fought for this caller and he or she should be thankful we do what we do for thier freedom. What about my rights?
Mike Pittman

High Point, NC

#10 Sep 24, 2010
When is someone going to stand up to the ACLU, Im tired of them getting there way all the time when the majority of the populations cries are silenced.
Sherika

High Point, NC

#11 Sep 24, 2010
Chuck Hannah wrote:
I am a Marine veteran and a Christian. I stand for freedom and the American way. Why does one person have the right to offend the many? I fought for this caller and he or she should be thankful we do what we do for thier freedom. What about my rights?
God Bless you and many thanks. I am trying to get all my brothers and sisters to stand with us.
granny in King

Pfafftown, NC

#12 Sep 24, 2010
opec wrote:
Come to think about it, hasn't the memorial been there for about a year? If so, then why are they waiting until now to complain?
Like I say, it has NOTHING to do with the Constitution, but to just harass people and trying to rid the world of God.
Personally I believe that, and it's been shown that God is instilled in us from conception. It's over the years that some of us move away from Him. But even when we move away from Him, we still know He is there; they just willfully deny the truth.
The memorial has been there about 5-6 years. I don't remember exactly.

I think Steve will have to see the flag every time he looks out of his home. If he opens his eyes, he will see them. They sold out of flags this week and lots of folks are putting them on their property.

As Christians, I think we should all pray for Steve. We did at church Wednesday night.
There is a lot of power in prayer.
Dixie

United States

#13 Sep 24, 2010
Ever since i first saw this story it has really bothered me. I don't know why this veteran is just now complaining, it don't make any sence. but i really think we should all pray for him. with that being said further more i hope whatever the outcome of this is i sure hope and pray that everything stays the way it is.
WEALLHAVERIGHTS

Mount Airy, NC

#14 Sep 24, 2010
Sherika wrote:
<quoted text>God Bless you and many thanks. I am trying to get all my brothers and sisters to stand with us.
Thank you for your service to our country!
Pat

High Point, NC

#15 Sep 24, 2010
I just want to say thank you to all the service men and women who have fought for our rights. And thank you to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for dying on the cross for my sins. God does not walk with me rather I walk with Him. We need to pray without ceasing for All who have posted on this forum. The cross they want to take down is just a symbol but it means so much to so many. Just pray because there is REAL POWER in praying and fasting.
WEALLHAVERIGHTS

Mount Airy, NC

#16 Sep 24, 2010
I agree that the "cross is just a symbol that means so much to so many". I also agree that we need to pray. The sevice men and women who serve our country are a diverse group of people. The men and women who raised the money, and had the monument built in King represent one of these diverse groups, and they have a right to have their memorial remain as it is. One person who asked to remain unnamed has been allowed to have his religious beliefs interfer with others religious beliefs. While I serve the Lord Jesus Christ, I will pray for everyone involved. For the Vet who stated "He no longer believes in God" I got the impression at one time he did. I pray that God touches his heart and restores his faith. I understand the pain he is in. I lost friends in the Vietnam War(during and after).I have had family to proudly serve this country since. I understand the horrors of what some of our service people have witnessed. I pray for the all everyday.
MATILDA

High Point, NC

#17 Sep 24, 2010
The city can donate the property to a non profit veterans group and end the discussion.
You should also find out who the coward is that is causing the trouble and confront him.
I said coward since he would not openly stand up for his beliefs
Abigail22

United States

#18 Sep 25, 2010
If this is all about Christianity, then shouldn't Christians be turning the other cheek? Or maybe they have been, but now they are tired of doing that?

I can see Christians being upset, but what is their Biblical basis for fighting back at all?
Daron Akins

Mebane, NC

#19 Sep 25, 2010
It was once said that America would not be conquered by an invading army, but it would be destroyed from the inside-out. And, slowly everyday we see this truth. Like it or not, this country was founded on a majority christian based religion. It is unfortunate for the other religions, yet they still have the freedom to worship in spite of this. But, that is the way it is, period. If our government keeps curtailing our founding beliefs and removing the symbols of those beliefs, then what will be left? Will we be the America we once was or, will we be the America that propaganda terrorist want us to be. I thought we did not negotiate with terrorist? If we conform to these type of threats then we might as well surrender all we hold dear. Make no mistake about it, this is a threat. Not a threat of bombing, or biological, or anything violent, but a threat that seems to be more efficient these days - financial. It is the obligation of our government; the legislative, the judicial, and the executive branches to uphold a belief in "WE THE PEOPLE." To do that they must first uphold the foundation of this country or we will have no place to stand. The so called balance of power trinity needs to have a unilateral position on the fact that this is America, and this is what we are – take it or leave it. It is unfortunate in our country that the backbone of our elected politicians is made of jello with the main ingredient being currency. I personally do not care if you are Muslim, Buddhist, Confucianist, or Christian. I will not go deep into religious debate here. In everyone's worship of the supreme being it is the individual's path to chose. But, to use any religious belief in conjunction with our written constitution to procure a weapon of propaganda is an attack of the vilest nature, and should be considered treasonous to this country and blasphemous to the respective religion desecrated by such action. I will say this however, if we are going to continue to negotiate with this type of terrorism, then in the end we will have lost. Slowly our country will be torn away and replaced with conformity and submission. Is that what we want to see happen? Is it cheaper to conform and submit, then to stand-fast and remain prideful? Is that what it has all come down to, the bottom red-line? This is a country of the people, by the people, and for the people – or is it? There are always going to be those that want things their way, but this isn't Burger King, it is America! Stand by her and maintain what the generations before us sacrificed for – it is our obligation to them and to one another. There is a solution to this dilemma though. Out of fairness, let the persons offended by the iconic christian references throughout our government entities and vices appeal to the United Nations and ask for a global removal of all religious references from all governments in every country of the world. If they can get all countries to conform to this standard, then it would be a reasonable request of us, or they can just get over it.
know better

High Point, NC

#20 Sep 25, 2010
Daron Akins wrote:
It was once said that America would not be conquered by an invading army, but it would be destroyed from the inside-out. And, slowly everyday we see this truth. Like it or not, this country was founded on a majority christian based religion. It is unfortunate for the other religions, yet they still have the freedom to worship in spite of this. But, that is the way it is, period. If our government keeps curtailing our founding beliefs and removing the symbols of those beliefs, then what will be left? Will we be the America we once was or, will we be the America that propaganda terrorist want us to be. I thought we did not negotiate with terrorist? If we conform to these type of threats then we might as well surrender all we hold dear. Make no mistake about it, this is a threat. Not a threat of bombing, or biological, or anything violent, but a threat that seems to be more efficient these days - financial. It is the obligation of our government; the legislative, the judicial, and the executive branches to uphold a belief in "WE THE PEOPLE." To do that they must first uphold the foundation of this country or we will have no place to stand. The so called balance of power trinity needs to have a unilateral position on the fact that this is America, and this is what we are – take it or leave it. It is unfortunate in our country that the backbone of our elected politicians is made of jello with the main ingredient being currency. I personally do not care if you are Muslim, Buddhist, Confucianist, or Christian. I will not go deep into religious debate here. In everyone's worship of the supreme being it is the individual's path to chose. But, to use any religious belief in conjunction with our written constitution to procure a weapon of propaganda is an attack of the vilest nature, and should be considered treasonous to this country and blasphemous to the respective religion desecrated by such action. I will say this however, if we are going to continue to negotiate with this type of terrorism, then in the end we will have lost. Slowly our country will be torn away and replaced with conformity and submission. Is that what we want to see happen? Is it cheaper to conform and submit, then to stand-fast and remain prideful? Is that what it has all come down to, the bottom red-line? This is a country of the people, by the people, and for the people – or is it? There are always going to be those that want things their way, but this isn't Burger King, it is America! Stand by her and maintain what the generations before us sacrificed for – it is our obligation to them and to one another. There is a solution to this dilemma though. Out of fairness, let the persons offended by the iconic christian references throughout our government entities and vices appeal to the United Nations and ask for a global removal of all religious references from all governments in every country of the world. If they can get all countries to conform to this standard, then it would be a reasonable request of us, or they can just get over it.
AMEN! AMEN! So well said and so much truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Terry Walden Apr '16 info please 1
charlie lawson (Aug '07) Feb '16 Laura 87
Awesome Hairstylist (Nov '15) Nov '15 Client 1
Review: Boutique Hoarders (Sep '14) Aug '15 Amanda 3
Should I take suboxen (May '15) Jul '15 ANTIgallia 2
does anyone know john pickering (Apr '15) Jul '15 nope 2
Blackburns Store (Jul '15) Jul '15 Cool Stang Daddy 1

King Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King Mortgages