Eleanor Park, Boardwalk vendors, Bond...

Eleanor Park, Boardwalk vendors, Bond postponement highlight town talks

There are 19 comments on the Westmoreland News story from Mar 7, 2014, titled Eleanor Park, Boardwalk vendors, Bond postponement highlight town talks. In it, Westmoreland News reports that:

February 27th's Colonial Beach Town Council work session lasted for three and A1 2 hours with little to show for it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Westmoreland News.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#1 Mar 8, 2014
Eleanor Park, same old arguments from the-don’t do something just stand there crowd. However, the lacking “moral authority” was an interesting new wrinkle and perhaps a concession was offered to allow the question to be placed on a referendum. The bond issue is advancing with additional funding plan that make sense and the surprise of the evening was the vendor program is under review. Heck, I did not know it was broken. My guess, it is a little late to be considering changes this year and any should apply to 2015.
CB Granny

King George, VA

#2 Mar 8, 2014
What is this about? I thought the special meeting was just to discuss the performance of the acting police chief and whether to re-open the search.

“C. Green”

Colonial Beach

#3 Mar 9, 2014
The special meeting your referred was scheduled for March 7th. The article is about the town council work secession. Which was a 3 ˝ hour gab fest, which gave new meaning to being droned. Which covered a diverse range of subjects such as, the town managers short list it pending items (I lost count at 30), town owned surplus properties, the general obligation bond, the boardwalk vendor program and the proposed town garden. Highlighted by an open mouth and insert foot moment concerning the old jail and ten minute dissertation on “filling stations”
CB Granny

King George, VA

#4 Mar 9, 2014
Who is writing the town ordinances that the Council votes on? Are these vetted by the town attorney for legality prior to publishing for vote?

And does the town attorney advise the town manager or the town council? If she is wearing both hats, she has a conflict of interest.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#5 Mar 9, 2014
Why oh why do we have to have a garden by the gazebo, and why do we have to pay to run water to this garden? Another useless expenditure. This money is our tax dollars and I'd rather see the money go toward the schools not a bunch of flowers.
As for Eleanor Park, sell the property!

Location hidden

#6 Mar 9, 2014
And the Boardwalk vendor program run by the Chamber of Commerce sounds and smells fishy to me. Raise the rental rate and keep the Chamber out of it.

“Live from Colonial Beach”

Since: Feb 14

My house

#7 Mar 11, 2014
A water spigot won't cost much, the garden club is going to set up a lease with the town, it isn't going to cost tax payer dollars.

“We Should Worry!”

Since: Dec 08

Colonial Beach

#8 Mar 11, 2014
Beach Goddess wrote:
A water spigot won't cost much, the garden club is going to set up a lease with the town, it isn't going to cost tax payer dollars.
So... The Garden Club gets a lease. WHOOPIE DOO! How much will it cost to install a water spigot? Will it be metered? If not...

Who actually PAYS for the water? Water Fairies? If Town 'eats' the cost Tax Payers PAY, if Town bills for Water usage Tax Payers PAY. A Garden Club planted flowers around the Town sign coming in on Rt 205, maintenance was dropped; we ended up with a patch of dried dirt.

Some kind Soul donated all of the plantings around Town Stage (remember THOSE?) again, maintenance was dropped; we ended up with dried dirt and dead plants.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 11, 2014
Babbit Ishkabibble wrote:
<quoted text>
So... The Garden Club gets a lease. WHOOPIE DOO! How much will it cost to install a water spigot? Will it be metered? If not...
Who actually PAYS for the water? Water Fairies? If Town 'eats' the cost Tax Payers PAY, if Town bills for Water usage Tax Payers PAY. A Garden Club planted flowers around the Town sign coming in on Rt 205, maintenance was dropped; we ended up with a patch of dried dirt.
Some kind Soul donated all of the plantings around Town Stage (remember THOSE?) again, maintenance was dropped; we ended up with dried dirt and dead plants.
Are you saying there is a water line already at the property, don't think so.

“We Should Worry!”

Colonial Beach

#10 Mar 12, 2014
livhere wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying there is a water line already at the property, don't think so.
I never stated that at ALL - If there is NOT, who will pay?!? Tax Payers? Dig a trench for one little spigot? Oh, that will Cost .....someone. Who? Tax Payers? Will Town to utilize public workers to run the line for a LEASE - everyone else has to hire someone to install this.

“Live from Colonial Beach”

Since: Feb 14

My house

#11 Mar 13, 2014
There is a water line through the property. They have to run a spigot.

The garden club also will be paying a quarterly water bill, just like anyone else.
Snow

Upper Marlboro, MD

#12 Mar 14, 2014
Beach Goddess wrote:
There is a water line through the property. They have to run a spigot.
The garden club also will be paying a quarterly water bill, just like anyone else.
Thank you for clearing this up, some people just need to complain.
Art

Gaithersburg, MD

#13 Mar 14, 2014
Snow wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for clearing this up, some people just need to complain.
You're right. Some people just need to complain for the sake of complaining. Others have legitimate questions and want answers. That particular one seems to have now been cleared up. Thank you. As a taxpayer, I want transparency and accountability. I want to know that our money is being used for the good of the community and isn't being squandered or stolen. I don't blindly trust the government of the town of Colonial Beach. Be accountable. Be transparent. Treat me and all citizens with respect. Follow the law. Save me from having to ask the questions...or complain as some of you refer to it. If you all had a healthy degree of skepticism and demanded more, there'd be less to complain about.

“We Should Worry!”

Colonial Beach

#14 Mar 14, 2014
Art wrote:
<quoted text> THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! If you all had a healthy degree of skepticism and demanded more, there'd be less to complain about.
THANK YOU.
Snow

Upper Marlboro, MD

#15 Mar 14, 2014
Art wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. Some people just need to complain for the sake of complaining. Others have legitimate questions and want answers. That particular one seems to have now been cleared up. Thank you. As a taxpayer, I want transparency and accountability. I want to know that our money is being used for the good of the community and isn't being squandered or stolen. I don't blindly trust the government of the town of Colonial Beach. Be accountable. Be transparent. Treat me and all citizens with respect. Follow the law. Save me from having to ask the questions...or complain as some of you refer to it. If you all had a healthy degree of skepticism and demanded more, there'd be less to complain about.
If people who r concerned would attend the meetings they could ask the questions they want answers too. Instead they go to Topix to throw stuff out there. In my opinion it's just laziness and boredom. There replaces to get the answers u demand. Instead of whining and complaining on a blog. It's just easier to sit on the sofa and complain.

“C. Green”

Colonial Beach

#16 Mar 15, 2014
Snow wrote:
<quoted text>
If people who r concerned would attend the meetings they could ask the questions they want answers too. Instead they go to Topix to throw stuff out there. In my opinion it's just laziness and boredom. There replaces to get the answers u demand. Instead of whining and complaining on a blog. It's just easier to sit on the sofa and complain.
Perhaps a little on the harsh side. I was at that meeting and the garden club discussing came at the end of a very, very long meeting on a very large range of topics. I have to admit I missed the point of immediate access to an available supply line. Lost focus, during the filling station factoid.
While not opposed to the concept and generally believe it is something we should support. My own thoughts ranged around the problematical location, waiving of the tap fees and the precedent that would set; cost of the meter and the crock and their installation and who would pay of that and what is the legal liabilities to the town.
Art Vandalay

Gaithersburg, MD

#17 Mar 15, 2014
Snow wrote:
<quoted text>
Snow, when's the last time you went to a council meeting, asked a question, and got a satisfactory answer? Thought so. I go to some of those meetings and watch the stream on others. Val Foulds very rarely gives a straight answer, even to questions posed by council members. Council members don't even support each other in forcing the issue. You've probably been in Colonial Beach too long. In most other places, you simply call or email the local government and get a straight answer to your questions. Try that in Colonial Beach. Should it really be necessary to go to a town council meeting to ask a simple question and then walk away hours later with a non answer? Sometimes, believe it or not, Topix IS the best resource. Sad to say, but it's true.
Snow

Upper Marlboro, MD

#18 Mar 15, 2014
Art Vandalay wrote:
<quoted text>
Snow, when's the last time you went to a council meeting, asked a question, and got a satisfactory answer? Thought so. I go to some of those meetings and watch the stream on others. Val Foulds very rarely gives a straight answer, even to questions posed by council members. Council members don't even support each other in forcing the issue. You've probably been in Colonial Beach too long. In most other places, you simply call or email the local government and get a straight answer to your questions. Try that in Colonial Beach. Should it really be necessary to go to a town council meeting to ask a simple question and then walk away hours later with a non answer? Sometimes, believe it or not, Topix IS the best resource. Sad to say, but it's true.
Not talking about council meetings. They had meetings for interested parties about the gardens. Anyone could ask questions and get answers. Don't know anything about council meetings.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 16, 2014
Snow wrote:
<quoted text>
Not talking about council meetings. They had meetings for interested parties about the gardens. Anyone could ask questions and get answers. Don't know anything about council meetings.
Must have hit too close to home for you. The garden club does not make the decision, town council does. I do have the right to know what the cost are since I am one of the people paying for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr what a russsh 5,678
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 1 hr what a russsh 6,613
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 18,021
New Local Business! Dec 11 Fredhead89 1
A-Z For Our Troll (Apr '14) Dec 11 texas pete 132
Moving to Fredericksburg VA (Dec '16) Dec 10 Tyleete 5
claire hayden Dec 9 joe 3

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance