First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Noisey

Portsmouth, VA

#1 Jan 13, 2014
Has anyone heard anything on the fire investigation as to what caused it, yet?

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#2 Jan 13, 2014
Nothing released, investigation continues. So much for rendering the site safe for primary and elementary school children in one week.
Cause

King George, VA

#3 Jan 13, 2014
It has been definitively determined the fire resulted from a combination of heat, fuel, and oxygen.
Someone with experience

Warrenton, VA

#4 Jan 13, 2014
The collapse zone could easily have been made safe within one week and the investigators and HazMat operations could have continued as long as necessary.
Cowboy

Aylett, VA

#5 Jan 13, 2014
Someone with experience wrote:
The collapse zone could easily have been made safe within one week and the investigators and HazMat operations could have continued as long as necessary.
You have to wait on the investigation and insurance company.
Beach Goddess

Urbanna, VA

#6 Jan 14, 2014
You can't do anything until the investigation is through.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#7 Jan 15, 2014
I still don't want my child around the area. I don't want him to have a constant reminder of his old school building and feeling upset every day. I new location is needed.
Silly

King George, VA

#8 Jan 15, 2014
ProudParentCBPS wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't want my child around the area. I don't want him to have a constant reminder of his old school building and feeling upset every day. I new location is needed.
Ok, you said in your other post that you don't want your child to go to a county school, yet you don't want your child around his old school building. Make up your mind, oh and by the way, get out your checkbook and show others some of that "drifter pride" that you talk about so that construction can start on a new school in town.
cbb

King George, VA

#9 Jan 15, 2014
Sounds like what the king douche, Steve Serbee, has been running around saying. He was lobbying to tear the old building down the day after it happened, just to pad his pockets, without regard for the investigation or the tough decisions the school board has to make.
Tim

Saint Augustine, FL

#10 Jan 16, 2014
What other options but to tear down the building are there?Get an estimate from Decked out(Hearld Powers),Steve Serbee and maybey a third local contractor if possible and do it as soon as funds are availible.Take into consideration any salvage value the building may have,Gym floor,bricks etc.Set aside insurance money and donations and continue to look for creative ways as a community to raise funds.It worked in the past for the high school.After 9/11 there was a major event put on at Town Hill that raised a good amount of money,why not try someting like that?There is a lot of Drifter and commuity pride in Colonial Beach.It would be an oppertunity to work together for this common positive cause.
adrienne

Waterford, PA

#11 Jan 16, 2014
there will many items needed to bring the place up to current code. it probably was grandfathered in before the fire. I would love to see the building restored also, cost will be the big issue as in everything else down there. cant believe how whomever is in charge is just letting this city slowly die. whole place should be landmarked. no new business, taxing heck out of ones there. do know the old saying, it is who you know. but not so much here is it.
cbresident

King George, VA

#12 Jan 17, 2014
The school board should sell the individual school bricks to anyone whom wants one as a fund raiser to build a new school. My Alma Mater cut up and sold their old football turf to Alumni to raise money to upgrade/replace the football field turf. Actually they made enough to pay for the entire upgrade and then some. Just an idea...
HB Rules

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Jan 17, 2014
cbresident wrote:
The school board should sell the individual school bricks to anyone whom wants one as a fund raiser to build a new school. My Alma Mater cut up and sold their old football turf to Alumni to raise money to upgrade/replace the football field turf. Actually they made enough to pay for the entire upgrade and then some. Just an idea...
Plus it helps to have millions of dollars in your budget from the dump that is and will pollute our drinking water.
The Truth

Colonial Beach, VA

#14 Jan 19, 2014
Lets move the pods to that pink elephant (trailer park) on Irving Ave. the rose garden. Are hook ups for power and water all ready in place. This would never happen because this is Wanda's green space. What a waste.
CB Granny

King George, VA

#15 Jan 19, 2014
If there is asbestos in the building, nobody is going to be selling bricks. The site will need to be tented and a demolition crew with the proper PPE (personal protective equipment) and OSHA training will need to take the building down and dispose of all the contaminated items according to EPA and OSHA regulations, which will mean a landfill that is permitted to take asbestos debris. Unfortunately, it will not be cheap, but it will ensure the area can be redeveloped.

Any word on what the insurance was to cover?

As to Eleanor Park, it might be ok before hurricane season. But the area looks pretty exposed to me as a permanent location to build a new school without some engineering and other studies. Also, the Point roads would need to be rebuilt to take the bus traffic, they are falling apart as it is.
The Truth

Colonial Beach, VA

#16 Jan 19, 2014
I was not saying build a school at the pink elephant. Move the pods to Wanda's green space until they decide what to do with old school. They could plant their stinking roses around each pod.
Someone with experience

United States

#17 Jan 21, 2014
The building did not have to be torn down in order to mitigate the so called collapse hazard and allow adjacent buildings to be reoccupied. This is done all the time. I stand by my previous statement that this could have been accomplished in 1 week. You would only know this if you were educated in structural engineering, and had actually performed similar projects, all be it on a much larger scale. It seems there are only a couple of individuals in this town who have actually dealt with situations similar to this, however, there seems to be quite of few of you who think you are authorities is this field and yet make it clear that you are totally clueless with every post you make. Why don't you post your comments on forums that you actually know something about, if you can find a topic you may actually know something about.
Homer

Fredericksburg, VA

#18 Jan 21, 2014
The building did not have to be torn down in order to mitigate the so called collapse hazard and allow adjacent buildings to be reoccupied. This is done all the time. I stand by my previous statement that this could have been accomplished in 1 week. You would only know this if you were educated in structural engineering, and had actually performed similar projects, all be it on a much larger scale. It seems there are only a couple of individuals in this town who have actually dealt with situations similar to this, however, there seems to be quite of few of you who think you are authorities is this field and yet make it clear that you are totally clueless with every post you make. Why don't you post your comments on forums that you actually know something about, if you can find a topic you may actually know something about.
I do not have an education in structural Engineering but I do have experience in being a Grand Parent, who happens to have a child in that Elementary School. I for one would not want my Grand Child to have to be around that structure everyday. There is a psychological element that everyone seems to be leaving out and the effect that burned out school has on younger minds

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#19 Jan 24, 2014
Ok, you said in your other post that you don't want your child to go to a county school, yet you don't want your child around his old school building. Make up your mind, oh and by the way, get out your checkbook and show others some of that "drifter pride" that you talk about so that construction can start on a new school in town.[/QUO
SAFETY my main reason for not going to the old school building! I have been helping CBPS since my oldest son started school there in the 1990's. I am very much involved with the school and have given time and money to help anyway I can! I am a member of OGBC and a parent of CB Elmentary Student that has helped prepare the church for the Elementary Students. Almost all the fundraiser, I have contributed. And when it is time to build a new school, I will be there in person for support and contribution.
Don't judge people before you get all the information. There is only one judge - GOD. He knows!!
Fire Marshall Bill

King George, VA

#20 Feb 11, 2014
Noisey wrote:
Has anyone heard anything on the fire investigation as to what caused it, yet?
A black box type video has emerged from inside the school on the day of the fire. This may explain what happened:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
low flying plane Sun criminal beach 1
paris cowboy =music (Apr '14) Sat texas pete 958
Colonial Beach Boat Ramp Dangerous (Aug '15) Jun 24 Tyler 35
Law suit Jun 23 WTCSRET 7
Work van for sale Jun 22 Kdodson 1
Michael Rodgers jr 5-year-old boy who died fro... (Aug '12) Jun 19 Eldest Step-Brother 7
River fest Jun 19 Questions 1

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King George Mortgages