Town Council Meeting Minutes

Posted in the King George Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Open Government Advocate

United States

#1 Apr 6, 2013
Town Council meeting minutes have not been posted on the town's website since September 13, 2012. Can we please get a response from a town official (Tim? Wanda?) about why this is? Please, no excuses about the town clerk being out on medical leave.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#2 Apr 8, 2013
Open Government Advocate wrote:
Town Council meeting minutes have not been posted on the town's website since September 13, 2012. Can we please get a response from a town official (Tim? Wanda?) about why this is? Please, no excuses about the town clerk being out on medical leave.
I agree with meeting minutes being posted publicly... but I can also see it playing out like this: We don't have enough employees to transcribe minutes quickly enough, so let's hire someone for that job.(Which we used to have but problem still occured) Then the complaints would rush in about paying for this new position...
Pick your battles "OGA".. it is worthy but the folks in charge would give you the above arguement. Don't kill the messenger, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Solution may be the town buying a video recorder and posting it online or on public access so all who want to see can what goes on.(Another idea that has been floated before.. that has never come to fruition from what I understand)

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#3 Apr 8, 2013
All digitalize information such as the agenda, resolutions and motions should be available on our website. Audio, which is already being recorded during sessions, could be streamed upon request. Cost to provide would be minimal.
FYI

Alexandria, VA

#4 Apr 8, 2013
The Journal newspaper video tapes and makes it available on line and during the meetings, generally, Same is true of the Planning Commission.

Nevertheless, it is state law that jurisdictions
post on line. It's called open gov't. And it is time to email the typed minutes are to the webmaster or learn to post it when approved.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#5 Apr 8, 2013
The Journal has not recorded the meetings for several months.

I have been doing it privately, but it has to be done in my free time.

The town has just had the website redone and Kathy was out for awhile. I'm sure they'll be updating the minutes online soon.
Open Government Advocate

King George, VA

#6 Apr 19, 2013
Meeting minutes are finally now up to date. Why did it take 6 months? There is no excuse for falling that far behind and it should not be allowed to happen again.

Meeting minutes need their own tab on the website's home page. They are hidden on the new website. I challenge anyone to figure out where they are. First to post the answer gets a prize.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#7 Apr 20, 2013
Meeting minutes are finally now up to date. Why did it take 6 months? There is no excuse for falling that far behind and it should not be allowed to happen again.
Meeting minutes need their own tab on the website's home page. They are hidden on the new website. I challenge anyone to figure out where they are. First to post the answer gets a prize.
http://www.colonialbeachva.net/resident-resou...

Since it's the Clerk's job, I went to her tab.

Voila.
Voila

Gaithersburg, MD

#8 Apr 21, 2013
Tim Curtin wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.colonialbeachva.net/resident-resou...
Since it's the Clerk's job, I went to her tab.
Voila.
Hey Tim, I hate to inform you, but there is no clerk's tab. Did you follow that statement with the word "voila" to invoke Webster's definition, which is "to suggest an appearance as if by magic"? Because that's the only way that Council meeting minutes appear under a clerk's tab. Makes me wonder about you. Do you use "voila" in other aspects of your job as my representative?
Voila

Gaithersburg, MD

#9 Apr 21, 2013
Never mind. It is at there. However, who would ever think to look on the town clerk's tab for town council business? Put it under town council. Better yet, put it right out front so we don't have to weave through 3 illogically organized sub-menus to get there. And please don't make us wait 6 months from now on.
Open Government Advocate

King George, VA

#10 May 11, 2013
Kathy Flanagan, You're slacking on the meeting minutes again. You finally updated September 27, 2012 thru March 14, 2013 all in one shot a couple weeks ago. You've posted nothing else. Where are our minutes from every meeting over the last two months? Where are the videos? Council, how do you expect us to trust you if we don't know what you are doing? These minutes should be updated within a day or two after each meeting. Get with the program.
Cindy Lou Who

King William, VA

#11 May 11, 2013
Kathy Flanagan, You're slacking on the meeting minutes again. You finally updated September 27, 2012 thru March 14, 2013 all in one shot a couple weeks ago. You've posted nothing else. Where are our minutes from every meeting over the last two months? Where are the videos? Council, how do you expect us to trust you if we don't know what you are doing? These minutes should be updated within a day or two after each meeting. Get with the program.
Stop using all of your brain cells on being so dang nasty and think that minutes will only be posted after the next regular meeting so they can be approved. April minutes will be posted in May. May minutes in June..... The Council meeting was Thursday night, so April minutes will be posted soon.

If you want to be more up to date than that, call a friend who went, attend yourself, or politely ask for an update in a new post in this forum. The town does not video the meetings, it is done by a volunteer who may or may not get to every meeting.
Open Government Advocate

King George, VA

#12 May 11, 2013
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop using all of your brain cells on being so dang nasty and think that minutes will only be posted after the next regular meeting so they can be approved. April minutes will be posted in May. May minutes in June..... The Council meeting was Thursday night, so April minutes will be posted soon.
If you want to be more up to date than that, call a friend who went, attend yourself, or politely ask for an update in a new post in this forum. The town does not video the meetings, it is done by a volunteer who may or may not get to every meeting.
I'm nasty for expecting this town government to act in an open, accountable, and honest way? They were SIX months behind until after MY reminder at the beginning of this string. Now they're TWO months behind. I want to know directly what they're doing, not through another person and certainly not through the local press. My suggestion would be that instead of criticizing me, that you get behind me and demand more accountability yourself.
Meeting

King George, VA

#13 May 11, 2013
Go to a meeting once in a while, then you'll know what's going on. Don't be scared, they don't bite.

“Tidewater 6141835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#14 May 11, 2013
Meeting wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to a meeting once in a while, then you'll know what's going on. Don't be scared, they don't bite.
With access to minutes and agenda I can beat you up severely from my wheel chair (I'm not there YET:) Why would I even want to leave my keyboard :) For those w/smart phones and younger they can beat you up between beers and dances if they give a frip (Yes the last word is rip)
Wanda G

King George, VA

#15 May 11, 2013
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Cindy, the town clerk is video taping the meeting. It is on the website. However, since Thursday night I have been monitoring the site and am still having trouble viewing it. Kathy has assured me it is now viewable, but I just tried once again(Saturday morning) to view it and cannot. I would like for some others to see if they can actually view the video on their computers, before I go back for at least the third time to our town clerk with request for her to remedy the problem, if the problem is with my computer. It appears on the town website at the bottom of the page. Please everyone that is interested see if you can actually view it, and let us know the result. This will be the place it will appear, and I hope all will be archived on the site. If not, I will request it.

“Tidewater 6141835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#16 May 11, 2013
It's 12:55 Do you know where your content is ?

"Please browse other great Ustream content in the meantime and check back later to see if the content becomes available.

Thank you!"
Carol L

King William, VA

#17 May 11, 2013
Wanda G wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Cindy, the town clerk is video taping the meeting. It is on the website. However, since Thursday night I have been monitoring the site and am still having trouble viewing it. Kathy has assured me it is now viewable, but I just tried once again(Saturday morning) to view it and cannot. I would like for some others to see if they can actually view the video on their computers, before I go back for at least the third time to our town clerk with request for her to remedy the problem, if the problem is with my computer. It appears on the town website at the bottom of the page. Please everyone that is interested see if you can actually view it, and let us know the result. This will be the place it will appear, and I hope all will be archived on the site. If not, I will request it.
I accessed the Town web site, clicked on the May 9th meeting video at the bottom of the page, and nothing happened. This definitely needs to be fixed. I also think that the logical place for the meeting notes is under Town Council, not the Town Clerk.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18 May 11, 2013
The backlog of minutes being discussed here is being addressed. The mere fact that we finally have someone running the Clerk's Office with the ability, motivation and skill to get the minutes on the town's website at all seems to be getting overlooked. There are problems with the equipment and the feed. It is being addressed. For those of you that remain so critical of our Town Clerk, try and cut her some slack. She has made more progress in these areas since her appointment than in the last decade or more prior to her arrival. She was the one that started working out the bugs with the equipment so we could have our own video feed. There have been some issues with the equipment, and they are being addressed. All this progress is being made in spite of a very close call with death she had just this winter. Out of respect for her privacy, I'm not going to discuss the details. Besides, I suspect most of you already know about that.
Wanda G

King George, VA

#19 May 11, 2013
Got a message from out Town Clerk with a link to utube video streaming. Apparently there is a technical problem with our town web site, but she is diligently working on it. Here is the link:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-from-cb
I hope this helps those interested in watching it. There are several of the meetings at this site.
Maybe

Fredericksburg, VA

#20 May 11, 2013
Tim Curtin wrote:
The backlog of minutes being discussed here is being addressed. The mere fact that we finally have someone running the Clerk's Office with the ability, motivation and skill to get the minutes on the town's website at all seems to be getting overlooked. There are problems with the equipment and the feed. It is being addressed. For those of you that remain so critical of our Town Clerk, try and cut her some slack. She has made more progress in these areas since her appointment than in the last decade or more prior to her arrival. She was the one that started working out the bugs with the equipment so we could have our own video feed. There have been some issues with the equipment, and they are being addressed. All this progress is being made in spite of a very close call with death she had just this winter. Out of respect for her privacy, I'm not going to discuss the details. Besides, I suspect most of you already know about that.
Barbara Goff was the Town Clerk for the last 10 years, so are you saying she was inept. This is the second time you have made what I consider debasing remarks about people who have served in the Town. Said that Councils for the past twenty years were dysfunctional, and now to take a swipe at Barbara. You are either one arrogant S.O.B. or dumb as a box of hammers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
low flying plane Sun criminal beach 1
paris cowboy =music (Apr '14) Sat texas pete 958
Colonial Beach Boat Ramp Dangerous (Aug '15) Jun 24 Tyler 35
Law suit Jun 23 WTCSRET 7
Work van for sale Jun 22 Kdodson 1
Michael Rodgers jr 5-year-old boy who died fro... (Aug '12) Jun 19 Eldest Step-Brother 7
River fest Jun 19 Questions 1

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King George Mortgages