loud neighbor's party
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
newby

King George, VA

#1 Apr 13, 2013
I thought it would be after Memorial Day before I would have to be again punished by my neighbors' loud music. I cannot sit in my own home without the walls vibrating from the base of their music. We again will wait until 9PM before airing our complaints. We will again be frustrated by the noise until after 11PM. I was young once and can appreciate music, but the base does not have to be turned to peak volume. We have our TV turned up high just to hear it. We will see if CBPD will assist in this matter.

“Annoying and won't go away....”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Apr 13, 2013
And why the hell would you post this here, without acknowledging who you are, and where? This is a totally useless post.
newby

King George, VA

#3 Apr 13, 2013
Try Jackson and Given Street
abc

King George, VA

#4 Apr 14, 2013
newby wrote:
I thought it would be after Memorial Day before I would have to be again punished by my neighbors' loud music. I cannot sit in my own home without the walls vibrating from the base of their music. We again will wait until 9PM before airing our complaints. We will again be frustrated by the noise until after 11PM. I was young once and can appreciate music, but the base does not have to be turned to peak volume. We have our TV turned up high just to hear it. We will see if CBPD will assist in this matter.
The PD can enforce the laws the council makes unhappy talk to them
NumbNutz

Silver Spring, MD

#5 Apr 15, 2013
Grow a set of balls and go tell ur neighbors how u feel and stop whining on here about it!
newby

King George, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2013
NumbNutz wrote:
Grow a set of balls and go tell ur neighbors how u feel and stop whining on here about it!
First off, I was not whining and I don't know what I said to offend you, but you are not in a position to talk to me about having balls, since I am a female. Once you see the size of this group you will understand why I do not just walk up to them. I thought this site was to express opinions and people like you should not take it so personally.
I will admit that the partiers did turn down their music after I posted on topix and I appreciate that.
I have called the police in past situations and the last time was told that there was nothing they could do until after 11PM. I have also approached town council members about this. thank you for your time.
Yes you can

King George, VA

#7 Apr 16, 2013
newby wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I was not whining and I don't know what I said to offend you, but you are not in a position to talk to me about having balls, since I am a female. Once you see the size of this group you will understand why I do not just walk up to them. I thought this site was to express opinions and people like you should not take it so personally.
I will admit that the partiers did turn down their music after I posted on topix and I appreciate that.
I have called the police in past situations and the last time was told that there was nothing they could do until after 11PM. I have also approached town council members about this. thank you for your time.
Newby: The town noise ordinance specifiaclly prohibits loud noise that is plainly audible more than 100 feet from the sourse. IT DOES NO MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS. We too have had issues with the police not knowing the law. I suggest that you point this out to the police the next time you have to call. Good Luck

Audio and audio-visual devices, musical instruments, etc. The playing of any television, boombox, stereo, phonograph, radio, tape player, compact disc player, MP3 player, video player, musical instrument, drum, or any other device that produces, reproduces or amplifies sound, including but not limited to, any such device in a motor vehicle or boat, where the sound is plainly audible to any person other than the players(s) or operator(s) of the device and those who are voluntarily listening to the sound and is plainly audible and discernable at a distance of one hundred (100) feet or more from the source of the sound is prohibited; provided, however that the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any outdoor performance, parade, gathering, dance, concert, show, sporting event, other event sponsored by the town or for which the town has granted a permit, or as provided in section 15-35 and section 15-32
Just Me

King George, VA

#8 Apr 16, 2013
Yes you can wrote:
<quoted text>
Newby: The town noise ordinance specifiaclly prohibits loud noise that is plainly audible more than 100 feet from the sourse. IT DOES NO MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS. We too have had issues with the police not knowing the law. I suggest that you point this out to the police the next time you have to call. Good Luck
Audio and audio-visual devices, musical instruments, etc. The playing of any television, boombox, stereo, phonograph, radio, tape player, compact disc player, MP3 player, video player, musical instrument, drum, or any other device that produces, reproduces or amplifies sound, including but not limited to, any such device in a motor vehicle or boat, where the sound is plainly audible to any person other than the players(s) or operator(s) of the device and those who are voluntarily listening to the sound and is plainly audible and discernable at a distance of one hundred (100) feet or more from the source of the sound is prohibited; provided, however that the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any outdoor performance, parade, gathering, dance, concert, show, sporting event, other event sponsored by the town or for which the town has granted a permit, or as provided in section 15-35 and section 15-32
If you read the very last line above it says OR AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 15-32 AND SECTION 15-35 meaning it does not apply if the noise is in an area described in those sections

One has to do with the times and decibal readings and the other has to do with vehicle noises. Plainly stated this section you are refering to does not apply to the neighbors playing thier music to loud 100 yards from the source. This has to be enforced under the decibal code and being heard 4 foot from the inside wall of the complaining persons house.

The 100 yard section, for example applies to the people sitting in a parking area such as the shopping center or some other open area and playing a boom box that can be heard 100 yards from the source.
Just Me

King George, VA

#9 Apr 16, 2013
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read the very last line above it says OR AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 15-32 AND SECTION 15-35 meaning it does not apply if the noise is in an area described in those sections
One has to do with the times and decibal readings and the other has to do with vehicle noises. Plainly stated this section you are refering to does not apply to the neighbors playing thier music to loud 100 yards from the source. This has to be enforced under the decibal code and being heard 4 foot from the inside wall of the complaining persons house.
The 100 yard section, for example applies to the people sitting in a parking area such as the shopping center or some other open area and playing a boom box that can be heard 100 yards from the source.
100 feet not yards
Anonymous

Spotsylvania, VA

#10 Apr 17, 2013
We also have to endure the thoughtlessness of people who live near us and think we all enjoy the music blasting from their open doors in their cars at 2am and yes the are not neighbors but live in another housing area adjacent to us. We and our very minor children also have to listen to every detail of their real or perceived grievances against everyone they know apparently, at the top of their voices and followed with enormous ammounts of cussing.
We live in Dahlgren off of Potomac road.
Even when we were single we didn't abuse everyone around us like this and that wasn't too long ago.
Some people just don't care.
Yes you can

King George, VA

#11 Apr 17, 2013
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Please note that this does NOT include just vehicle noise. See Section Sec. 15-34.- Specific prohibitions. It specifically states "including but not limited to boat and vehicles." It is an all inclusive for any noise that is amplified by a device. If you speak directly to the chief and Ms Foulds they will confirm that interpretation. The exceptions are bars and restuarants and certain other civic events like parades and church bell ringing.

There is also a section that reiterates the Vehicle noise.(Sec. 15-33.- Motor vehicle and boat maximum sound levels; amplified sound from vehicles and boats) but sec 15-34 is the all inclusive provision.

You may see the entire ordinace at
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx...
Jeannie S

King George, VA

#12 Apr 17, 2013
I just read the first line of "noise" in the town code and I think it says it all... Please be respectful of you neighbors.

Sec. 15-26.- Declaration of findings and policy.

The town council hereby finds and declares that excessive sound is a serious hazard to the public health, welfare, peace and safety and the quality of life; that a substantial body of science and technology exists by which excessive sound may be substantially abated; that the people have a right to and should be ensured an environment free from excessive sound that may jeopardize the public health, welfare, peace and safety or degrade the quality of life; and that it is the policy of the town to prevent such excessive sound.

newby

King George, VA

#13 Apr 20, 2013
Latest update on neighbors loud party. It happened again tonight and it is now 11:45 PM and finally quiet. The police say there is nothing they can do if the noise does not exceed 55 decibels 4 feet from your exterior wall. According to the police it reached 50 decibels. The base vibration was unbearable. They told me that I would have to take this up with the Town Council, that their hands were tied. Since our bed headboard is against the wall we are having to sleep in our liv rm. My neighbors and I are going to get together with other neighbors to see what we can do about it. The town police were nice, but their hands were tied. I am totally disgusted with the partiers and their obvious disregard to other people's quality of life.
Question

Vienna, VA

#14 Apr 21, 2013
newby, have you told your neighbor about your discontent.
newby

King George, VA

#16 Apr 21, 2013
Question wrote:
newby, have you told your neighbor about your discontent.
I was wrong about where this noise is coming from, it is Longfellow and Jackson.
The police have been by there several times asking them to tone it down, which they do for about 10 minutes then they turn the volume back up even higher. So as the day and night progresses and the drinking continues, this just adds fuel to the fire.
Last year they had a band stand, this is not just one neighbor but several. I feel they have taken the position that they don't give a .... about their neigbors.
Party OFF

Saluda, VA

#17 Apr 21, 2013
OMG Now I understand--Jackson Street. Next time call the Sheriff's office. CBPD are useless and have never read the Town CODE.
Yes you can

King George, VA

#18 Apr 21, 2013
Newby,

The portion of the noise ordinance prohibiting amplified noise that is plainly audible from 100 feet supersedes the 55 decibel rule. I suggest that you speak directly with the chief so he can adequately train his officers about the law.

You have to stand up for yourself.

Sec. 15-26.- Declaration of findings and policy.

The town council hereby finds and declares that excessive sound is a serious hazard to the public health, welfare, peace and safety and the quality of life; that a substantial body of science and technology exists by which excessive sound may be substantially abated; that the people have a right to and should be ensured an environment free from excessive sound that may jeopardize the public health, welfare, peace and safety or degrade the quality of life; and that it is the policy of the town to prevent such excessive sound.
newby

King George, VA

#19 Apr 21, 2013
Party OFF wrote:
OMG Now I understand--Jackson Street. Next time call the Sheriff's office. CBPD are useless and have never read the Town CODE.
I really can't take fault with the town police. And I do not want to say bad things about Jackson Street. The town police came by and told us we were not going to be happy with them, they also told us that they agreed the noise was too loud. Their hands were tied, but would go by and asked the neighbors to tone it down. This was to no avail. Try laying in your bed which is not 4' from the wall and listen to the boom boom boom. We had our tv up full volume in our bedroom and had to go back to our living room to get a small amount of lesser noise. I looked up the town ordinance and it calls for no more than 65decibles prior to 11pm and after llpm it is 55 this is of course in your house. Measure that and see how loud it is. As a reference point, most people don't know what a decible is but your tv is normally set at 35db. Now if the db is over 50 in your home imagine what it is outside. No more sitting on your porch enjoying the evening. I think the town has lost sight of the noise problems because of the bars that have bands in the summer. If you buy a home near one of these place, you should know what you are going to get. But, a residential neighborhood is completely different. And yes, I can hear the bands at High Tides, and I do enjoy them, but they do not use a loud base as my neighbors do.
Yes you can

King George, VA

#20 Apr 21, 2013
Newby;

PLEASE read the code, What the police have told you is erroneous. IT IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED if you can hear it within 100 feet of the source REGARDLESS of the decibel level.

Sec. 15-34.- Specific prohibitions.

The following acts are declared to be violations of this article. This enumeration shall not be construed to limit, in any way, the general prohibitions contained in section 15-32.

(a)

Vehicle horns, signaling devices and similar devices. Sounding any horn, signaling device, or similar device on any automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle on any right-of-way or in any public space continuously or intermittently for more than ten (10) consecutive seconds, except when the sounding of any such device is intended as a danger warning.

(b)

Non-emergency signaling devices. Sounding or permitting the sounding of any amplified signal continuously or intermittently from any bell, chime, siren, whistle or similar device intended primarily for non-emergency purposes from any one (1) location for more than ten (10) consecutive seconds in any hourly period; provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the sounding of such devices by religious uses or by public bodies or agencies for testing, traffic control or other public purposes.

(c)

Emergency signaling devices, security, burglar and fire alarms, etc. Sounding or permitting the continuous or intermittent sounding outdoors of any emergency signaling device, or any security, burglar or fire alarm, siren, whistle, or similar device, including without limitation any motor vehicle security alarm, siren, 266 whistle, or similar device, for a period in excess of ten (10) minutes in any residential area and fifteen (15) minutes in any other area, except in response to a burglary, attempted burglary, fire, or other emergency.

(d)

Just Me

King George, VA

#21 Apr 21, 2013
Yes you can wrote:
Newby;
PLEASE read the code, What the police have told you is erroneous. IT IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED if you can hear it within 100 feet of the source REGARDLESS of the decibel level.
Sec. 15-34.- Specific prohibitions.
The following acts are declared to be violations of this article. This enumeration shall not be construed to limit, in any way, the general prohibitions contained in section 15-32.
(a)
Vehicle horns, signaling devices and similar devices. Sounding any horn, signaling device, or similar device on any automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle on any right-of-way or in any public space continuously or intermittently for more than ten (10) consecutive seconds, except when the sounding of any such device is intended as a danger warning.
(b)
Non-emergency signaling devices. Sounding or permitting the sounding of any amplified signal continuously or intermittently from any bell, chime, siren, whistle or similar device intended primarily for non-emergency purposes from any one (1) location for more than ten (10) consecutive seconds in any hourly period; provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the sounding of such devices by religious uses or by public bodies or agencies for testing, traffic control or other public purposes.
(c)
Emergency signaling devices, security, burglar and fire alarms, etc. Sounding or permitting the continuous or intermittent sounding outdoors of any emergency signaling device, or any security, burglar or fire alarm, siren, whistle, or similar device, including without limitation any motor vehicle security alarm, siren, 266 whistle, or similar device, for a period in excess of ten (10) minutes in any residential area and fifteen (15) minutes in any other area, except in response to a burglary, attempted burglary, fire, or other emergency.
(d)
I beg to differ. The very last sentence in 15-34 (d) says "OR" for which the town has granted a permit."OR"as provided in section 15-35 and section 15-32. The word "OR" means if the situation is covered by these conditions, then that is how it is measured and enforced. If both sections applied, they would contradict each other making it impossible to enfore either.

All 3 sections are there for a spacific reason to deal with different complaints and circumstances. when you interput law those little words like and, if, or, etc mean more than you may think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic 50 min CBauthority 3
Who's in charge? Aug 17 Don juan 1
Town manager, cfo Aug 13 Springtime 8
low flying plane Aug 12 wtcsret 8
Prison Officers Alone Aug 10 Prison Officers A... 1
Green Moped Means Drugs Aug 9 wtcsret 5
crc contractors Aug 6 Travis 1

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance