Being Harrassed By Colonial Beach Police.

Posted in the King George Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NotAttached

United States

#1 May 9, 2012
The other night I was up beside dockside at my friends house. My phone was dying, so i needed a phone charger. I called my friend(2:30 in A.M.) to see if he was awake so maybe he could bring me phone charger, he didn't have my charger, but he was willing to drive me to 12th street to get my phone charger from my house. When I was walking outside waiting for him, nobody was around. Finally his car pulled up and I got in. As soon as we pulled off a cop started following us, so we turned down another road... he followed us again. We turned down another road... he took the same turn... WE TOOK ABOUT 6 TURNS and he followed everyone. We couldn't figure out what his problem was! So finally we turned down by the library and he turned his lights on at us. He came to the car asked for liscence and registration etc. and told us HE PULLED US OVER FOR HAVING A AIR FRESHNER IN THE WINDOW. Like wth? Then, me, in the passanger side... he came over to my window, took down my name and date of birth because I didn't have my ID. Like ALL THAT FOR WHAT?
Scarface

Fairfax, VA

#2 May 9, 2012
NotAttached wrote:
The other night I was up beside dockside at my friends house. My phone was dying, so i needed a phone charger. I called my friend(2:30 in A.M.) to see if he was awake so maybe he could bring me phone charger, he didn't have my charger, but he was willing to drive me to 12th street to get my phone charger from my house. When I was walking outside waiting for him, nobody was around. Finally his car pulled up and I got in. As soon as we pulled off a cop started following us, so we turned down another road... he followed us again. We turned down another road... he took the same turn... WE TOOK ABOUT 6 TURNS and he followed everyone. We couldn't figure out what his problem was! So finally we turned down by the library and he turned his lights on at us. He came to the car asked for liscence and registration etc. and told us HE PULLED US OVER FOR HAVING A AIR FRESHNER IN THE WINDOW. Like wth? Then, me, in the passanger side... he came over to my window, took down my name and date of birth because I didn't have my ID. Like ALL THAT FOR WHAT?
Suspicious activity, maybe?
Love The Beach

Gloucester, VA

#3 May 9, 2012
How old are you? It could be he was double checking to make sure you were over 18 as there is a curfew in the town. Also, hanging out around 2.30 AM, then being picked up by a car, can look odd, like you were up to no good.

Now, I don't agree with them pulling you if it was solely due to it looking odd, but if you're very young looking and it was possibly him checking for a curfew violation, I understand that more.

Since: Nov 09

Brandywine, MD

#4 May 9, 2012
Sounds like they were doing their job. Vehicle on the road at 2:30am starts making turns as maybe to avoid something, 2 people in the vehicle, something hanging from the windows to distract the driver which is against the law. Maybe you should be glad they are out being PRO ACTIVE and not reading about someone in the Free Lance Star on Sunday that got into the wrong vehicle.

Steve
Steve's Locksmith
NotAttached

Gloucester, VA

#5 May 9, 2012
I'm 19, and I look like i'm almost 25. He followed us around for SO LONG. A car even drove past us that had only one headlight, he just continued to follow us.
NotAttached

Gloucester, VA

#6 May 9, 2012
And if I looked underage... why couldnt he have asked me how old i was while i was standing outside waiting for my ride?
NotAttached

Gloucester, VA

#7 May 9, 2012
Steves Locksmith wrote:
Sounds like they were doing their job. Vehicle on the road at 2:30am starts making turns as maybe to avoid something, 2 people in the vehicle, something hanging from the windows to distract the driver which is against the law. Maybe you should be glad they are out being PRO ACTIVE and not reading about someone in the Free Lance Star on Sunday that got into the wrong vehicle.
Steve
Steve's Locksmith
It IS NOT against the law to be driving around 2:30am and we weren't trying to avoid anything but being harassed because that's how colonial beach police are. He simply followed us around, checked the tags, checked the car out and realized there was one little small thing wrong so he pulled us over for it. If he wasn't following us for so long, he wouldnt of even KNOWN it was on the mirror. If he was really doing his job, he would of went after the car that drove past us with one headlight, speeding. So yeah.

“Bleeding Fingers”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#8 May 9, 2012
Lot of things changed after 9.11 The Patriot act will explain it all. Were you not in a fusion center database where you could be ID'd you might have been fingerprinted at the station or in his car. "Papers please!" is alive and well in the USA. Your conversation was a FI which information is now part of your Fusion record :) Good thing there were no matching Last name, first name MI DOB warrants in the system :)
NotAttached

Gloucester, VA

#9 May 9, 2012
WTCSRET wrote:
Lot of things changed after 9.11 The Patriot act will explain it all. Were you not in a fusion center database where you could be ID'd you might have been fingerprinted at the station or in his car. "Papers please!" is alive and well in the USA. Your conversation was a FI which information is now part of your Fusion record :) Good thing there were no matching Last name, first name MI DOB warrants in the system :)
Whats a FI? and a fusion record? lls
Cindy Lou Who

Gloucester, VA

#10 May 9, 2012
Hey dude...can you spell suspicious? If you weren't doing anything wrong, why didn't you just go home and get your charger? You sound very suspicious to me and I think the cop did the right thing to stop you to see what was up. By law they have to have a reason to pull you over and I don't know if "SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY" is a good enough reason(it should be), hence the air freshner reason.
I would consider you lucky there hadn't been something going on in town that night (figght, stabbing, robbery) that would have caused them to haul your butts into the station for questioning!
WTCSRET

Goose Creek, SC

#11 May 9, 2012
NotAttached wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats a FI? and a fusion record? lls
http://www.wpbpolice.org/policies/downloads/-...

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FusionCenter/About...
John G

Clinton, MO

#12 May 9, 2012
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
Hey dude...can you spell suspicious? If you weren't doing anything wrong, why didn't you just go home and get your charger? You sound very suspicious to me and I think the cop did the right thing to stop you to see what was up. By law they have to have a reason to pull you over and I don't know if "SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY" is a good enough reason(it should be), hence the air freshner reason.
I would consider you lucky there hadn't been something going on in town that night (figght, stabbing, robbery) that would have caused them to haul your butts into the station for questioning!
Thank God for my rights you are not on the Supreme Court Cindy Lou Who. There are so many different levels of wrong going down in this post.

"...I don't know if "SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY" is a good enough reason(it should be), hence the air freshner reason." I hope one day having your light on in your house at 2:30am isn't considered "SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY" and gives the "police" the right to come into your house. Hell all those town and Commonwealth stickers block more of my windshield than one of those pine tree freshners. BTW OP...it's 2012...get the ones that clip onto the air vents.

I will say that must be one heck of a friend to come pick you up at 2:30 am, I don't think I'd have even answered the phone.
smartass

United States

#13 May 10, 2012
I'm with John G....when does suspicious begin?? One man's suspicion is another's air freshener.
Cindy Lou Who

Gloucester, VA

#14 May 10, 2012
Again, if the weren't doing anything wrong...why didn't they just go home to get his charger like they were intending to? Why act suspicious?
smartass

United States

#15 May 10, 2012
Guess you're correct, Cindy Lou...at least they weren't parked at 7-11.
Cindy Lou Who

Gloucester, VA

#16 May 10, 2012
They don't go there much anymore because they have their own parking lot now.
Nope

Nanjemoy, MD

#17 May 10, 2012
Lets be realistic here. I dont care if they drove in circles around the block. As long as they obeyed the speed limit, stop signs, etc. No reason they should have been pulled over. The bottom line is the police will use the smallest imfraction to pull you over in hopes of finding something bigger to charge you with. Im sure due to the time of night, the officer just knew he could get himself a DUI if he could figure out a reason to pull them over. Dont be so quick to give up your freedoms people! Its terrible how the patriot act and others have eroded our privacy and freedom!
VETNAM 2

Fairfax, VA

#18 May 10, 2012
Nope wrote:
Lets be realistic here. I dont care if they drove in circles around the block. As long as they obeyed the speed limit, stop signs, etc. No reason they should have been pulled over. The bottom line is the police will use the smallest imfraction to pull you over in hopes of finding something bigger to charge you with. Im sure due to the time of night, the officer just knew he could get himself a DUI if he could figure out a reason to pull them over. Dont be so quick to give up your freedoms people! Its terrible how the patriot act and others have eroded our privacy and freedom!
All good points......thank you.
WTCSRET

Goose Creek, SC

#19 May 10, 2012
Nope wrote:
Lets be realistic here. I dont care if they drove in circles around the block. As long as they obeyed the speed limit, stop signs, etc. No reason they should have been pulled over. The bottom line is the police will use the smallest imfraction to pull you over in hopes of finding something bigger to charge you with. Im sure due to the time of night, the officer just knew he could get himself a DUI if he could figure out a reason to pull them over. Dont be so quick to give up your freedoms people! Its terrible how the patriot act and others have eroded our privacy and freedom!
The big issue is probable cause (pc) and leo knows that by heart. The bar has been lowered SIGNIFICANTLY for PC since 2005. I can not go into detail about the changes but the public has allowed "public" to be re-defined in a manner that is detremental to it's own interest.(Example: Anyone using envelopes has something to hide! otherwise they would use post cards)
It's not your grandfathers "night" any more :)
The positive in this is no trip report when they win :) Never make a deal w/devil :)
My lawyers crib sheet on posting makes this even more obtuse than I could. It's almost Catholic Church-like, "Can't make a move without breaking a rule" (It keeps the confession lines full:))
This introduces "(w)right chop", I think it's a non-starter since it's so puzzleish (I won't claim that :)) Can you say, "redacted"
smartass

United States

#20 May 11, 2012
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
They don't go there much anymore because they have their own parking lot now.
Yeah but where do they get the gossip, coffee, and donuts?? I kid, I kid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
best x-mas present we can ask for 3 hr Osprey Annie 2
Gone....! 20 hr Bubba22443 29
Council AXES Police Vehicles 23 hr Happier times are... 39
Santa Tue Elf 3
revitalization Grant Tue WTCSRET 4
Nosey neighbor....a little suspicious .... Tue Concerned 14
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) Mon WTCSRET 1,542
King George Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

King George People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

King George News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in King George

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:39 am PST