Town Website is Aweful
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cindy Lou Who

Caret, VA

#1 Apr 9, 2013
The new website for the Town is horrible. Looks like a 5th grader did it. I hope they didn't pay for it. It makes Colonial Beach look amateur.

“Tidewater 614-1835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#2 Apr 9, 2013
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
The new website for the Town is horrible. Looks like a 5th grader did it. I hope they didn't pay for it. It makes Colonial Beach look amateur.
Looks OK to me. The service provider is at the bottom. What's you're gripe?
bk
CB Resident

King George, VA

#3 Apr 10, 2013
WTCSRET wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks OK to me. The service provider is at the bottom. What's you're gripe?
bk
YOUR not YOU'RE
Costa Plenty

King George, VA

#4 Apr 10, 2013
IT DID COST A FAIR AMOUNT OF MONEY, ACTUALLY. Shame, isn't it?
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#5 Apr 10, 2013
Wow, such hate over an obvious improvement. I didn't know we were spell checking each other. The new website looks fine to me. I like the improvement. I would offer this idea....if you don't like it, why not design a new one yourself and take it to the Town Council. If the TC doesn't like it, you can just pay to have it published online anyways and compete to see who has the better town website. This way you get to have the website exactly as you want it! Who doesn't want that!
Cindy Lou Who

Caret, VA

#6 Apr 10, 2013
CB Newbie wrote:
Wow, such hate over an obvious improvement. I didn't know we were spell checking each other. The new website looks fine to me. I like the improvement. I would offer this idea....if you don't like it, why not design a new one yourself and take it to the Town Council. If the TC doesn't like it, you can just pay to have it published online anyways and compete to see who has the better town website. This way you get to have the website exactly as you want it! Who doesn't want that!
I did several years ago...and it was for free. They dropped the ball.

“Tidewater 614-1835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#7 Apr 10, 2013
CB Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR not YOU'RE
I try to put something for everyone in my post. Glad you found your hook :) I do it because I can. When you reach my age you suddenly realize you don't give a flip :)
bongs and bitches

Woodbridge, VA

#8 Apr 10, 2013
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
hahaha , i love this shit , a 5th grader could probably spell awful correctly too
soo many people just wanna cast stones , get a freakin life
Thought

Tappahannock, VA

#10 Apr 12, 2013
The website is a great improvement....easier to navigate. Listing Events is also helpful (one assumes they will add dates soon).
Open Government Advocate

King George, VA

#11 Apr 19, 2013
Can anyone find town council meeting minutes on the new website? Come on webmaster, please move them to the home page.
Nascent

Aylett, VA

#12 Apr 19, 2013
There not up to date but this is all I could find on meeting minutes http://www.colonialbeachva.net/resident-resou...
Open Government Advocate

King George, VA

#13 Apr 19, 2013
Nascent wrote:
There not up to date but this is all I could find on meeting minutes http://www.colonialbeachva.net/resident-resou...
The point is this. How does someone find town council meeting minutes if they go to the home page colonialbeachva.net ? It isn't easy and it isn't logical. Anybody up to the challenge of finding it?
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#14 Apr 19, 2013
Check this thread :) You will have to work for it :) Anything worth anything is worth the effort :)

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/colonial-beac...
See

Vienna, VA

#15 Apr 19, 2013

“Local Boy Done Good!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#16 Apr 22, 2013
Just looked at the new website. Its great!

The photo of kids playing highlighted the absence of sea nettle netting.

Wish we could put it back up for the swimmers.
chris

Silver Spring, MD

#17 Apr 22, 2013
I wanted to comment but it's just not worth it anymore I give up. This town to far screwed up to fix.
beach stalker

King George, VA

#18 Apr 22, 2013
CB Drifter 55 wrote:
Just looked at the new website. Its great!
The photo of kids playing highlighted the absence of sea nettle netting.
Wish we could put it back up for the swimmers.
I do not see one black or a Mexican on this site and if you visit the beach its full of black and Mexican nice try web maker back in the day you could find them in the point but not on the beach.
beachgrass

United States

#19 Apr 25, 2013
I've been reading the minutes now provided on the town website and am curious as to who owns the boardwalk north of Colonial Ave. I see where Mr. Long provided research to Ms. Foulds but I have heard nothing in response. It wasn't announced or discussed in the meeting minutes. Does anyone know the outcome or when the public will hear something?
MisterBlutarsky

Germantown, MD

#20 May 27, 2013
I think Open Government's point is well taken. The meeting minutes are buried three or four submenus down from the top level sections of the site.

Perhaps changing the layout to a two-column format (WordPress calls them Themes) would allow for placement of Widgets (another WordPress term) where a list of links to tthe top 10 most popular resources residents might be looking for would be helpful.

As for the Theme itself, looks to be one of the basic ones... WordPress has a lot of others that could be used to spruce it up... some can be used for free, some for a nominal fee.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#21 May 28, 2013
The word I would use for our town’s web site is, marginal. We have a very long way to go. This weekend’s event, the Fireman Festival was not listed. We currently have many events planned for the summer and none are advertised on our site. Someone in Northern Virginia, looking to spend a day will find on our web site- the next town council meeting. For a town that its very existence rest on tourist, that is unacceptable.

Who is in charge? It is obvious a change is needed. The Tourism Council, led by Ms. Kings and co-chaired by Mr. Edwards should have the authority to provide input data so our site’s information is timely. With the Tourism Council acting as an events clearing house, we could have all of the events that are planned posted. Additionally, we must move into the 21 century. Have just a web page is not the answer, a Facebook account a must. Like it or not, we now live in a world of one hundred and forty characters, a tweeter account should be added as funds become available. Hopefully, our Council was listening when this subject was discussed by our Consultants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic Mon CBauthority 3
Who's in charge? Aug 17 Don juan 1
Town manager, cfo Aug 13 Springtime 8
low flying plane Aug 12 wtcsret 8
Prison Officers Alone Aug 10 Prison Officers A... 1
Green Moped Means Drugs Aug 9 wtcsret 5
crc contractors Aug 6 Travis 1

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance