No Tax Hike

King George, VA

#1 Jun 19, 2013
Wasn't able to make the meeting tonight. Was there any traction gained on increasing real estate tax, meals and lodging tax,cigs tax ect....?

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#2 Jun 20, 2013
Being opposed to the proposed tax hike certainly has appeal. It would appear to me, given the state our town finds itself, this position has held sway for the last thirty years. Resulting in what we have today. A failing infrastructure, and underfunding of all critical departments. Combined with this absolute refusal to dispose of surplus town owned property to increase the tax base will result in more of the same.

I would suggest, doubling down on the failed policies of the past is not the way forward. Mr. Chiarello’s alternate budget will result in a catastrophic failure. If passed, I would suggest you start thinking of how to get your household trash to the transfer station, because curbside trash pickup will join slots on the boardwalk as a thing of the past.
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#4 Jun 22, 2013
But what happened at the meeting? Are the taxes going up?

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#5 Jun 22, 2013
Unresolved. Discussion and vote scheduled for 6/27 @ 7:00PM.
What were you thinking

White Stone, VA

#6 Jun 22, 2013
I want to thank the wonderful people who are supporting the 25 cent a pack tax and the extra five cents on the table. It has made me go looking outside of the town for cheaper cigarettes. In my travels I have realize just how little I get out of town. Until this week I have actually only been over the new bridge just once and that was just for fun. Since I have gone out of town looking for cigs I have spent over 100 dollars for groceries in KG. Money that would have contributed to the tax base in CB. However I with the recent events of the recent town council I am beginning to believe that this town is going to fail soon and become simply a suburb/neighborhood of KG. Also since going out of town I have realized just how much I spend for things in CB that I can get for almost half outside of town limits. Way to go council and others who support the tax hike on cigs. You have gotten out from under my rock!

Oh ya sweet move on the council. Spend 17,000 on a study of town employees from Whitestone, yet you won't even follow the advise they gave you!

Oh and Just Me, I can't imagine what you could be doing that keeps you out of the loop. There have been meetings almost every week since Jan. Nothing gets accomplished so it's like a soap opera, If you miss one show don't worry it will all be repeated at the next meeting. It's a wonder anyone can get anything done in this town. Every time I go to town hall The town clerk and manager have been in a meeting with council members.
Jody

Saluda, VA

#7 Jun 22, 2013
maybe you could stay out of the town to smoke them too...lol
Sup

United States

#8 Jun 22, 2013
It does seem nothing gets done anymore.

Since: Oct 12

Alexandria, VA

#9 Jun 24, 2013
Tax cigarettes, but not cigars or dip. Hmmm! Personal preference rules again. Same shit different council
What were you thinking

White Stone, VA

#10 Jun 27, 2013
Jody wrote:
maybe you could stay out of the town to smoke them too...lol
I do hope you are one of those people who don't drive a car polluting the environment, stopping at the Micky D's drive thru causing some young cashier to suck up your exhaust.

I especially hope your not one of those people who drive a diesel who stops at the convenience store believing it's better for the truck to keep it running while everyone who visits the store has to breath your exhaust till the poor ventilation system filters the air.

Not that I begrudge anyone the use of a car, however...
You want to bitch about the miniscule amount of smoke given off by a cigarette make sure you check yourself first!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote For Donald Trump 1 hr LeoN 9
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 4 hr Honest Babe 16,554
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Honest Babe 4,233
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 4 hr Honest Babe 4,756
This weekend Action Items 4 hr wtcsret 9
Song Title Game (Apr '14) 7 hr Roxie Darling 411
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 9 hr WTCSRET 50
More from around the web

Personal Finance

King George Mortgages