First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Question

Alexandria, VA

#21 Apr 2, 2013
Changes will come when current businesses
get the message to ix up their property.
Too many eyesores. Shrubs, trees, new facades, etc.---not expensive, but will attract more businesses and visitors.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#22 Apr 3, 2013
Expanding the tax base is often a topic of discussion when a politician is trying to avoid the term tax increase. A tax increase is the least effective means of raising the revenue that is needed to support our public services, because they have a tendency to weaken economic active. One of the more effective tools in a jurisdictions tool bag is offering tax incentives to increase tourism. According to the Virginia Tourism Corporation, for every dollar invested in tourism, it will generate five dollars in tax revenue. Currently under consideration is an offer to buy some of our old unused surplus property. Let us hope our town council will begin to sing the jail house rock!

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#23 Apr 3, 2013
Bad Penny wrote:
According to the Virginia Tourism Corporation, for every dollar invested in tourism, it will generate five dollars in tax revenue.
And 9 out of 10 dentist recommend. I agree with everything you said, though I advise caution when looking at CB as the tourist location we try to make this out to be. There is work to be done in that department. The poster above you also has a good concept of what needs to happen to support your idea, there is some spring cleaning that needs to be done here in the town and some major overhauling as well. Just because some news article said we are a diamond in the rough, doesn't mean we sit back and wait for someone else to chisel and polish.

If the Town is going to entertain the idea of 17,500.00 and tax incentives, then it needs to be an open bid. Those seven Council members are going to sell off property that belongs to every citizen of this town. If it is in the best interest of the Town to do so, it needs to be closer to market value. The Town couldn't even get their Erosion and Sediment Control plan together, think they can pull something like this off?

http://journalpress.com/index.php/colonial-be...

A building valued at $230,000.00 and sold at $17,500.00 is a net loss of $212,500.00 that was spent on promoting tourism by selling the building? Using the figures you quoted from the Virginia Tourism Corporation that should bring us $1,062,500.00, highly suspect.
yea right

Tappahannock, VA

#24 Apr 3, 2013
Not sure anyone has indicated it was to be used as commerical property. Only that living space upstairs and art displayed on 1st floor and will they have a business licenses and pay on gross sales as other do or is the incentive for both real estate and business license.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#25 Apr 4, 2013
JAIL BAIT! Indeed, our neighbors that sit on the council have some very tough decisions to make and what kind of counter to make is certainly one of them. Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From my prospective, if we can find an agreement with these folks, we will get more then we give on this deal. After all, it is an old unused building.

The Erosion and Sediment Control issue is our current mayor’s call and should be laid at his feet. I thought it was a bone headed move when suggested last year and I did question the wisdom of it though the town’s official web site. Mr. Ham was very positive we could find the $55,000 earmarked for this problem somewhere else. Needless to say the somewhere else was never identified. I am still waiting for his response to my initial inquiry and I am just as positive he will have an answer for our current problem with the school budget. Seems the $55,000 short fall last year grew into an $800,000 and still counting problem this year. Unfortunately, the E & S problem could have been handled last year by sending a town employee to the classes that where held in Williamsburg.
yea right

Tappahannock, VA

#26 Apr 4, 2013
I'm sure builders appreciate this as business freindly approach of adding getting permits and inspections from the county, just adding time and delay. Mayor and council members need to think past their noses. There is nothing wrong with asking questions about the effect their vote has on the long term, that's the reason a discussion period is in each motion before council.
Darwin

Washington, DC

#27 Apr 8, 2013
The town should sell this building while it has a chance. Colonial Beach is a seedy ghost town with real estate moving at a snails pace. People are not lining up to buy dilapitated old buildings. If it is not sold to this group who wants to fix it up into something nice, we will just continue to have another abandonded building to contend with.
Questions

Alexandria, VA

#28 Apr 8, 2013
Why is a German-American no-profit interested in Colonial Beach? Why would Council consider selling the property for almost nothing? Almost as bad as selling the High Tides property, twice, way below it's value.

High Tides was built with an exception to not provide the parking required by zoning rules. Then, extended on another lot without necessary proper parking. Recently, I noticed that they have constructed additions which further reduce the miniscule parking. They should provide parking, even if they must hire someone to furnish
valet services. However, they are relying on the town footing the bill. So, how much parking is furnished at the former Police building? DAH
Other businesses in the area are suffering from the lack of parking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

King George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A to Z: names of music artists (Apr '14) 37 min Honest Babe 716
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 40 min Honest Babe 311
A to Z of song titles (Apr '14) 41 min Honest Babe 665
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 48 min Honest Babe 5,217
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 53 min Honest Babe 17,028
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 56 min Honest Babe 4,697
Song Title Game (Apr '14) 57 min Honest Babe 604

King George Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

King George Mortgages