Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

Sorry you feel that way eightrac... some athletes are heroic icons, just as teachers, cops, firefighters, servicemen and women. If Mr. Smith can encourage one person to do something good, it is a success, IMHO. While I am sure there are those with "foundations" that turn out to crooked, I'm not going to make sweeping indictments about all of them. Many foundations do great things, so like I said, I'm not going to demonize all of them.
TheTruthHurts

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

I'm a die hard Ravens fan and a fan of Mr. Smith as well...the best step his family gave him was moving him to Stafford, you know, that area with good schools which gave him the opportunity to do what he does. He never would've had if he went through school here. And honestly, I'm getting a little tired of hearing people around here riding his coat tails..."oh dat my cousin...oh dat my nephew"... he did an interview once and Espn asked where he grew up...his reply...Stafford. Find something else to grasp to other than his success... try to make this place a success story of it's own.
Beach Goddess

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

eightrac wrote:
<quoted text>
Saddam Hussein was also a college graduate, so what is your point?
The number HS graduates from this area who complete a bacholer's degree isn't very large. When someone from this area who is well known does so, it encourages our young people. There isn't a thing wrong with that.
Yay for him, doing good by his mother, as we all should (still trying to find what is so spectacular about that) This still doesn't warrant a parade. Like I said, he can run and hold a ball. That's it.
He helped raise his younger siblings, without complaint, according to multiple interviews with his Mom. There are not many kids who would do that.

Typically, I am the first one to state we pay athletes too much, but this guy actually seems to have his stuff together and is trying to help his family and others.
How about the police officers that keep your ass safe, the taxpayers that most likely keep your ass fed since I'm guessing you are on the "receiving" end of the tax scene, if you catch my drift.
I most certainly am not on the receiving end of any type of governmental help. I work full-time. My husband works full-time.We actually pay more in taxes at the end of the year.

Now, why would state it the way you did?

Also, I do not have a problem with people receiving governmental help. I am glad to pay more in taxes to help people.
FYI: Terry Smith foundation= Torrey Smith tax deduction. Personally funded foundations are eligible for many tax deductions while still being able to control the assets. It's not all about being good.
http://www.savewealth.com/planning/estate/fou...
So? If it was that big of a tax break, why doesn't every well-paid athlete have one?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

TheTruthHurts wrote:
I'm a die hard Ravens fan and a fan of Mr. Smith as well...the best step his family gave him was moving him to Stafford, you know, that area with good schools which gave him the opportunity to do what he does. He never would've had if he went through school here. And honestly, I'm getting a little tired of hearing people around here riding his coat tails..."oh dat my cousin...oh dat my nephew"... he did an interview once and Espn asked where he grew up...his reply...Stafford. Find something else to grasp to other than his success... try to make this place a success story of it's own.
I recently got a football trading card for my son of Torrey which lists his hometown as Colonial Beach. Regardless, hanger's on aside, the town has every right to be proud. I can say that I never met him, but do know his Mom. Either way, he seems from all accounts to be a nice kid. Westmoreland County, Fredericksburg and Alexandria all claim George Washington as their own, so I am sure Stafford wouldn't mind if CB did the same for Torrey.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sm...

His University of Maryland bio.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-04-23/s...

More good info. Sounds like he's proud of his hometown.
Triangle Tom

Charlotte Hall, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Wow, such bitterness by a few here. The conversation was about a beach kid who helped win a Super Bowl. Somehow, the conversation turns to tax write offs and slamming Colonial Beach. I agree running and catching a ball are overrated by many, but what I'm hearing is extreme bitterness, jealousy, and some deep insecurity. Build yourself up by tearing others down? Torrey is a modern day Horatio Alger story. Let him enjoy it, and let others take pleasure in his accomplishments as well.
Algenon

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Triangle Tom wrote:
Wow, such bitterness by a few here. The conversation was about a beach kid who helped win a Super Bowl. Somehow, the conversation turns to tax write offs and slamming Colonial Beach. I agree running and catching a ball are overrated by many, but what I'm hearing is extreme bitterness, jealousy, and some deep insecurity. Build yourself up by tearing others down? Torrey is a modern day Horatio Alger story. Let him enjoy it, and let others take pleasure in his accomplishments as well.
Well said TT.
GarySeeber

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Apparently Eightrac is the only idiot in the group. Torrey has done well for hinself abd his family. Col Beach was his grade school and Stafforfd was his high school. Good kid and has done well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

GarySeeber wrote:
Apparently Eightrac is the only idiot in the group. Torrey has done well for hinself abd his family. Col Beach was his grade school and Stafforfd was his high school. Good kid and has done well.
Well said Councilman!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

GarySeeber wrote:
Agreed.
Beth

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

I've known Torrey almost his entire life, had him in daycare - Kathy's Kids, he was and is still a friend of our son & our family and we keep in contact with him & his family. He is an inspiration for alot of the youth in this community.You can make it being from a small town. Even though he went to high school in Stafford, Colonial Beach is his home. We are so proud of Torrey and all of his accomplishments.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Beth wrote:
I've known Torrey almost his entire life, had him in daycare - Kathy's Kids, he was and is still a friend of our son & our family and we keep in contact with him & his family. He is an inspiration for alot of the youth in this community.You can make it being from a small town. Even though he went to high school in Stafford, Colonial Beach is his home. We are so proud of Torrey and all of his accomplishments.
Well said Beth!
Beth

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

smartassofficial wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said Beth!
Thank you. I get very offended when people, who don't know what they are talking about, write stupid posts on here. Especially about people they do not even know. SMH!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent King George Discussions

Search the King George Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Potomac Renaissance vs. St. John's 9 min Weekender 15
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 1 hr Felix Penobscot 13,027
Colonial Beach Concerned Citizen Group is a fraud. 2 hr Fraud 2
E-Coli in drinking water 2 hr East coast builder 45
Where can I find a real Tea Shop/House? 2 hr Edward Chaiwalla 2
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 3 hr WTCSRET 1,502
Chief Legg 4 hr East coast builder 39
•••
•••