S-C of O Faculty Students Produce War...

S-C of O Faculty Students Produce War Documentary

Posted in the Kimberling City Forum

West Plains S of O Campus

Ava, MO

#1 Mar 2, 2013
S of O-C of O Faculty, Students Produce Documentary Film

March 02, 2013

In February of 2011, Bill Gebhart, C of O professor of communication arts, began documenting the success of College of the Ozarks Patriotic Education Travel Program. The program sends veterans back to their original theatres of war and pairs them with students who gain a lasting perspective on patriotism, service and sacrifice.

The documentary titled “A Patriotic Education: To Remember. To Pass It On. And Never To Forget.” provides an overview of the trip to the Philippines for the 70th anniversary of the Bataan Death March and the Holocaust Remembrance Tour, wherein students accompanied WWII veteran liberators and Holocaust survivors to concentration camps in Europe.

In addition to providing facts, the film honors veterans of past and present and tells of the impact the veterans and their accounts had on the students.

The documentary was produced completely in-house by Gebhart and student workers of the Mass Communications Department. The crew filmed throughout the course of the two trips and obtained almost 80 hours of footage, which was condensed down into the 50-minute final product. Senior Jonathan Wahl was in charge of managing progress made during the Philippines trip. He took still photographs, as well as video, and edited both.

“Photographing a trip is a lot of work both on the trip and after due to editing,” said Wahl.“It was entirely worth it.” Dr. Bruce Gerlach, C of O professor of music, wrote the original score used in the documentary.

Each person involved in the production process realized that the film was not for simple documentation, but an opportunity to look into the unique experience College of the Ozarks students are provided through the Patriotic Education Travel Program.

“Hopefully, the documentary honors the veterans and survivors by telling the story through the eyes of the students and how the students are going to remember it,” said Gebhart.“My heart is that the veterans are honored by College of the Ozarks and by the documentary. They served me before they even knew me. I can’t even come close to comparing to how much they’ve done for me.”

The documentary is available to anyone interested in learning more about the Patriotic Education Travel Program. Individuals who would like to obtain a FREE copy, may request one by calling the College of the Ozarks Public Relations Department at>>>>>>> >>>>

four-one-seven
six-nine-zero
two-two-one-two

(topix won't accept numbers)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kimberling City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tickets Wed Donnie 1
Housekeeper wanting to know of hotels where cow... Apr 23 Guest 1
420~ Apr 18 JBlazeitupabit 1
I am SICK of this FORUM U GUYS TELL LIES ON ME (May '10) Apr 15 Brodave 7
Anyone knows Kelley Hackney Apr 13 Anonymous 1
hotels in Branson Apr 12 seeker 1
new in Branson (Jan '15) Apr 12 Laura Williams 4

Kimberling City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance