Wrestling With Uranium

Wrestling With Uranium

There are 11 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Wrestling With Uranium. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Uranium contamination poses a persistent problem in as many as 16 well water systems serving thousands of people around the state, according to a Courant analysis of test records from the state Department of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

imcrazytoo

United States

#2 Dec 14, 2008
So people will drive their cars all over the place, thereby contaminating the air and water (and having fatal and horrrible "accidents"), use all kinds of toxic cleaning chemicals in their homes, smear toxic chemicals on their bodies (from cosmetics), have their clothes sprayed with toxic chemicals (from "dry-cleaning"), but some naturally occurring uranium in the water supply, which hasn't been shown to have harmed anyone, is cause for hysteria...
mike

Dunedin, FL

#3 Dec 14, 2008
WWBD What would Bush do? Raise the acceptable level of uranium in drinking water and the problem is solved!
Virginia Observer

Edinburg, VA

#4 Dec 14, 2008
Congrats! to the "Courant" for good investigative reporting. This story/issue warrants on-going coverage. Why do public health officials always issue these insipid "comfort" messages?: "State health officials said they are unaware of any health problems directly linked to the contamination, and don't expect any at the levels that have been found." The story clearly states that the levels found in the Johnson Memorial Hospital samples are clearly over the compliance level. What's wrong with public health saying, "this is a serious problem and we are doing more instensive investigations...here's what residents should know, and can do, to limit their exposure."
And the statement by the hospital exec, " 'I am aware of our levels and the limits set by the [EPA], and I am very comfortable drinking the water, said Peter J. Betts, the hospital's interim chief executive officer.", seems to me to be an admission of criminal negligence on the part of the hospital's patients and workers. And this is supposedly a healthcare institution? Something is very wrong with this picture!
Virginia Observer

Edinburg, VA

#5 Dec 14, 2008
Please change "on the part of," to "regarding possible long-term negative health effects on"...
ADVENTUS

Windsor, CT

#6 Dec 14, 2008
This Ct. firm has an EPA-approved technology that provides in-situ immobilization of soluble metals in soil and groundwater. http://www.adventusgroup.com/products/ehc_m.s...
Concerned Citizen 2008

Gastonia, NC

#7 Dec 14, 2008
Is this anything like wrestling with Uranus?
ricbee

United States

#8 Dec 14, 2008
Just another frightening tale to scare the old ladies. I'll start worrying when I see people glowing in the dark.
ricbee

United States

#9 Dec 14, 2008
imcrazytoo wrote:
So people will drive their cars all over the place, thereby contaminating the air and water (and having fatal and horrrible "accidents"), use all kinds of toxic cleaning chemicals in their homes, smear toxic chemicals on their bodies (from cosmetics), have their clothes sprayed with toxic chemicals (from "dry-cleaning"), but some naturally occurring uranium in the water supply, which hasn't been shown to have harmed anyone, is cause for hysteria...
Hysteria & reason to waste millions of dollars. Probably paying off political supporters.
FAV

East Hartford, CT

#10 Dec 14, 2008
It would be helpful if some one in the field could give us a rough idea of how the 30 ppb of uranium in the amount of water that one imbibes in a day compares with our exposure to background radiation in a day.
madison well drinker

New London, CT

#11 Dec 14, 2008
What this story glossed over is the fact that the state and towns know of the higher levels. but are under no obligation to report these levels to surrounding (ie: the madison schools) well water consumers. The state and town knew of higher levels 2 years ago. The town health director and state sat on it for that time and did not inform the town school system or any other area residents.(The schools are within 400 yards of the condos).

Then factor in that the Feds have one level that requires action, yet anyone affected thinks that those levels are exceedingly low and require limited or no action.

You don't know, what the government knows. Having attended some of the informational sessions regarding this news story in Madison. The various groups and agencies, who should know, skim over facts and play CYA with the regulations.

What this does not say is that your home well could have uranium or many other contaminants, There are tests you can do. But most homeowners are unaware that they exist and should be performed. At the purchase of your home you probably did not test for uranium and a range of other naturally occurring contaminants.
Blah

Andover, CT

#12 Dec 15, 2008
Jesus Uranium in water, lead in toys. How the hell did I survive growing up without all this paranoia?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Killingworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Autism Not A Barrier To 16-Year-Old Trinity Fre... Sep '16 RICK 77 1
News Shoreline Town Balks At Possible New Amtrak Line (Feb '16) Sep '16 Samuels Furnace Man 7
News Young Children Still Suspended In High Numbers ... Aug '16 BPT 12
News Sunrise Resort In Moodus To Close (Aug '08) Aug '16 Boater1979 76
News Hartford Police Arrest Immigration Protestors B... Jun '16 tomin cali 4
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT (Apr '15) Jun '16 Onthelist 7
Review: Bridgepoint Mortgage LLC (Mar '15) May '16 SO TRUE 5

Killingworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Killingworth Mortgages