Homeless Shelters Need Towns To Step Up

Where do homeless people in your town go to sleep? Most likely, they go wherever they can find a bed. Read more
Shawn Carter

Manchester, CT

#1 Apr 14, 2009
Hartford is finally saying "keep your bums in your own swanky towns". Good for Hartford
HC Here

Alexandria, VA

#2 Apr 14, 2009
If we are going to bill each city for the homeless, we better make sure each city is only paying for the homeless the residents of the city directly create. If I prevent someone else from getting a job, if I force someone else to take drugs, or if I force someone else to make too many babies they can't afford then I should pay their costs. If I didn't do these things, why should I be forced contribute to subsidizing their bad decision making. Let me decide whether I believe their "plight" warrants my disposable income or whether they should be forced to help themselves for a change. Oh, the liberal do-gooders won't like that one - there's that awful phrase "personal responsibility" again.

Don't we already pay for police services which include enforcement of vagrancy laws? If we enforced vagrancy laws, no city would have the problem of the homeless. We mifht actually force the homeless to take some responsibility for their situation. Oh, but that would be mean.

How do we make sure the homeless people in OUR town were born and raised in OUR town and aren't COMING TO OUR town from another town because some do-gooder in OUR town decides OUR town should spend more of OUR tax dollars.

Do the legislators who continually push for more tax dollars to be spent on the homeless ever spend any of their own savings on the homeless? It's easy to be noble with other peoples' money. Too bad they are so generous with their own disposable income.

Let's think back to what we read a few weeks ago about a man who was described as homeless and living in a shelter. He admitted he spent all the money from his job on museums, deluxe cheeses, and travel. He majored in music in college so he doesn't have any truly marketable skills (If he doesn't get a job with an orchestra it seems he is out of luck.) Finally, although he had a roof over his head and a protective father, he developed a drug habit. How much should we all be forced to spend to keep him warm and comfy in the shelter?

Maybe the homeless can interview with us the way we have to interview for a job. I have to impress someone to get a paycheck. Why shouldn't the homeless have to do something to earn their keep other than serve as fodder for liberal whiners?
godhelpus

Hartford, CT

#3 Apr 14, 2009
Just another form of "illegal aliens". We need to start building fences around our towns.
Shoddy Reporting

United States

#4 Apr 14, 2009
Susan never mentions that Obama is reducing the amount that top earners can deduct when they give to charities like the ones mentioned in the article. Why no mention of the tax code change?
How does it feel to have your candidate take steps to hurt those most in need Susan?
kam

Wallingford, CT

#5 Apr 14, 2009
HC Here wrote:
If we are going to bill each city for the homeless, we better make sure each city is only paying for the homeless the residents of the city directly create. If I prevent someone else from getting a job, if I force someone else to take drugs, or if I force someone else to make too many babies they can't afford then I should pay their costs. If I didn't do these things, why should I be forced contribute to subsidizing their bad decision making. Let me decide whether I believe their "plight" warrants my disposable income or whether they should be forced to help themselves for a change. Oh, the liberal do-gooders won't like that one - there's that awful phrase "personal responsibility" again.
Don't we already pay for police services which include enforcement of vagrancy laws? If we enforced vagrancy laws, no city would have the problem of the homeless. We mifht actually force the homeless to take some responsibility for their situation. Oh, but that would be mean.
How do we make sure the homeless people in OUR town were born and raised in OUR town and aren't COMING TO OUR town from another town because some do-gooder in OUR town decides OUR town should spend more of OUR tax dollars.
Do the legislators who continually push for more tax dollars to be spent on the homeless ever spend any of their own savings on the homeless? It's easy to be noble with other peoples' money. Too bad they are so generous with their own disposable income.
Let's think back to what we read a few weeks ago about a man who was described as homeless and living in a shelter. He admitted he spent all the money from his job on museums, deluxe cheeses, and travel. He majored in music in college so he doesn't have any truly marketable skills (If he doesn't get a job with an orchestra it seems he is out of luck.) Finally, although he had a roof over his head and a protective father, he developed a drug habit. How much should we all be forced to spend to keep him warm and comfy in the shelter?
Maybe the homeless can interview with us the way we have to interview for a job. I have to impress someone to get a paycheck. Why shouldn't the homeless have to do something to earn their keep other than serve as fodder for liberal whiners?
It is really unfortunate that your idea of the homeless situation is so jaded and one sided; with all of that energy you have you should think about volunteering at a shelter for a while to see what it's about. I have worked in shelters and although their are homeless that fit your narrow description most are people that have, for reasons out of their control they find themselves on the street. Some have jobs, others looking, most caught up in these tough economic times. But the chronic homeless, what should we do with them? Ship them somewhere else, kick them back onto the street, forget about them? Our Lord asks for us to give of ourselves, and the rewards will be great. Maybe if enough people turned their thinking around a bit the world wouldn't be such a hard, cold place.
Shelters need help

Southington, CT

#6 Apr 14, 2009
Please consider helping the New Britain Salvation Army Mens' Shelter. They always need food.
christiannutcase

Springfield, MA

#7 Apr 14, 2009
Jesus hates homeless people. So does God. If Jesus saw a homeless person, he would run them out of town. The Bible teaches me to hate my fellow men, especially if they are homeless. Homeless people are not welcome at my church, they stink. Homeless people should be banned, and deported from America. We should build a fence, that's what Jesus would do.
HC Here

Alexandria, VA

#8 Apr 14, 2009
christiannutcase wrote:
Jesus hates homeless people. So does God. If Jesus saw a homeless person, he would run them out of town. The Bible teaches me to hate my fellow men, especially if they are homeless. Homeless people are not welcome at my church, they stink. Homeless people should be banned, and deported from America. We should build a fence, that's what Jesus would do.
It's interesting how liberals inject religion into the homeless issue. When conservatives inject religion by asking "Would Jesus say kill the fetus in your womb?", "Would Jesus want fetuses harvested for stem cell research?" or "Would Jesus forbid prayer in a school?" the liberals scream not to shove one's religion in their face and to keep religion out.

I have't asked Jesus about homelessness. If I can paraphrase a proverb, it is better to teach a person to fish than provide him a fresh fish for one meal.
kam

Wallingford, CT

#9 Apr 15, 2009
Jesus would do both, give shelter and comfort to his brothers and sisters and teach them how to fish. Christ asks us to follow him, and so we must do. "Whatever you do to the least of my brothers..."
Austin House for Women

Waterbury, CT

#10 Jun 2, 2009
Hi,
We are offering housing to homeless women in the waterbury area. Please visist our web-site at thecompletecounselingservice.com . or you may call me at
Camera Quebec
Chief Executive Director
Austin House for Women

Waterbury, CT

#11 Jun 2, 2009
Hi,
We have housing for women in the Waterbury area please see our web-site thecompletecounselingservice.com

Camera Quebec
Austin House for Women

Waterbury, CT

#12 Jun 2, 2009
0h,
Christ said "we will always have the poor with us"

Camera Quebec
mike

South Windsor, CT

#13 Jun 3, 2009
How about we set up a shelter that woulf feed the homeless house the homeless and put the homeless to work ? Work would restore pride and move them from homeless to contributing members of society...Does homeless = helpless?
Why cant they work for the services they need ? Now we will hear from the libs saying that they can't work...Why/ they can drink, drug and beg what is wrong with work?
camera quebec

Cheshire, CT

#14 Jun 5, 2009
we are offering housing to women who are homeless, or in a financial crisis, recovering from alcohol or other drugs. Service fee required.

Quebec
Ray

Sandy Hook, CT

#15 Jun 5, 2009
What the Lord did say:

Matthew 25

4"Then the King will say to those on his right,'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him,'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply,'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left,'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer,'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply,'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
kam

Bristol, CT

#16 Jun 8, 2009
One of the problems is not in Our Lord's way of thinking but in societies' thinking. Christ said, in Matthew 26:11, "The poor you will always have with you." Instead of despising the poor and homeless we should have better safety nets and programs that deal with the misfortunes of our fellow men to help prevent the loss of shelter from happenning, and, if and when it does happen to take care of and re-educate the unfortunate ones to bring them back into a self-supportive role. But there is nothing really out there, program or group, that I know of that will go that far.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Killingworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Bridgepoint Mortgage LLC 19 hr Bridgepoint Mortgage 2
News Connecticut News - State, National and Local Ne... (May '07) Mar 22 steve fudge 122
News Madison Looking to Ban Smoking at Beaches and P... Mar 21 Schmones 1
Review: Sound Plumbing Services LLC Jan '15 Tnkywk 1
News 'Madison Police Driving Away Local Business Dol... (Aug '11) Nov '14 elmer fudd 17
News Made In Connecticut: RubIt! Hand Balm -- Manufa... (Apr '08) Nov '14 chilllybaby2 17
News Madison Continues to Defend Decision Allowing P... Oct '14 Waves and surf 2
Killingworth Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Killingworth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]