WATCHDOG: Buying Propane Is A Frustra...

WATCHDOG: Buying Propane Is A Frustrating Business

There are 31 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 17, 2008, titled WATCHDOG: Buying Propane Is A Frustrating Business. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Jim Brangi of Killingworth got tired of cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking firewood five years ago and purchased a gas log and a gas stove to help heat his home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Southington

#24 Mar 20, 2009
call paraco my last bill was under $@ a gallon
David wrote:
Does anybody have an idea where one can buy a new or used 500 gallon propane tank in Connecticut? I am with Arrow (hate their service) and they will not sell their tank?
Osterman Propane Victim

Clinton, CT

#25 Oct 3, 2009
Osterman Propane did the same to me. Started off with a good rate but they just charged me $6.47 per gallon on my 9/4/09 delivery. I called around to other dealers with my usage info and tank size and was quoted $4.40 per gallon when you include rental fees. I have contacted the CT Dept of Consumer Protection (DPUC section) with a call in to the Atty General this week. Based on previous posts it probably won't do much, however I am letting everybody know through posts like this on as many websites as I can find. Maybe that will get Osterman's attention along with the other propane companies. The only way to have fair pricing with propane is to warn off other consumers.
Hocon Sucks

Baltimore, MD

#26 Jan 11, 2010
I have had Hocon for 3 years now. I've tried to switch but removing the tank etc is a royal pain. Recently I got a bill from Hocon and the rate i'm receiving is $5.8290!!!!!!! Are they kidding??? This must be some sort of joke. I went over to my parents house, who live in the same town and coincidentally had their tank filled on or close to the same date and got a rate of $3.67! WTF? I don't care if my tank is only a 65 and theirs is 100. If you pull up to a gas station you don't get charged more if you have a Prius vs someone with an Yukon.
John

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Jan 24, 2010
Not only is propane perhaps a ripoff (I have not switched, but was thinking of it since I like to cook, electric stoves don't cut it, have a boiler license, and was sick off the smell and burning "dinosaur soup" aka #6 oil at work, and buying the stuff from those guys...you know who I mean).
Everything is out of line price wise in CT. I have a place in LI, NY and everything is cheaper even with the 8.75% tax!
anthony lopez

Santa Clarita, CA

#28 Jan 31, 2010
wow! this is unbelievable, iam looking for buying a 40 lb tank and fill it at the gas station and coneected to my dryer and range, the propane company charge me 3.25 per gallon when gas station sell it for 1.98 per gallon.
Reddy

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Mar 30, 2010
David wrote:
Does anybody have an idea where one can buy a new or used 500 gallon propane tank in Connecticut? I am with Arrow (hate their service) and they will not sell their tank?
I called around different propane dealers... Most said they did not, but one of them said they had a few refurbished tanks for sale. 1000 gallons in the range of $1200-$1300 installed. Newer ones would be about $2300 installed.
Question for other tank owners:
I just had one installed today. 1000 gallons. Only issue is they installed a 1951 built tank. All seals etc. are new and the tank has been sandblasted etc. Looks decent, few rust spots, but no serious rust visible. Should i be concerned about the age of the tank?
I called the sales guy back and he is in the process of checking to see if they have newer tanks... circa 1975. He thinks the older tanks were built better. What do you think? the tank looks decent and i plan on painting it....

thanks in advance.
SE Ct propane victim

United States

#30 Sep 29, 2010
Propane "dealers" are a bunch of scam artists. The whole industry is set to hook you in and then stick it to you with ridiculous fees. The gas companies pay for those tanks multiple times over by charging rent of $80-$85 for a 100 gallon tank per year, then porking you for an extra $1.00 or more per gallon. Why in the world does a 100 gallon carbon steel tank cost $1000 to purchase, that is highway robbery. It shouldn't cost that much for stainless steel. The whole industry is crooked and has been for years, but now that it costs people $500/year for fuel to cook, when that is 1/2 of their heating cost (Luckily i heat with oil), it's an eye opener. I'm using up my last of my 100 gallons and then they can come get the tank and stick it where the sun doesn't shine....
john mcpain

Manchester, NH

#31 Sep 30, 2010
Gave up My propane wrote:
switched to electric and turned off the fireplace. It was not worth it when the prices were 1-2 dollars more a gallon.
everythings going up in price and its gonna get worse and worse and worse

the rethuglicans are raping this country over and over and over mc pain mc palin dodd they all have to go

laugh now becuz when yur kookin fish stix over a coleman camp stove sitin in a lawn chair surrounded by yur belongings

dont say i didnt tell ya so.

merry christmas scrooge

merry christmas

oh i predict another awful christmas this year next year

and many years after

try using kingsford charcoal briquets to cook on for thanx

but no thanx giving this year
Dane

Webster, MA

#32 Nov 6, 2010
Bill R wrote:
.... its best to own the tank if you can and shop aggressively
Here's a good one.

I own my two 100 pound tanks, had them for years. I used to take them wherever there was a deal to fill them up. So a couple yeas ago, my wife ran out of gas and I was not home. I called Osterman to fill up both tanks. Just for cooking, they charged me over $6 a galllon,$128 for each tank.

So now, they send me a minimum usage charge of $60 for a tank rental...these are my tanks! I've spoken with them twice and all I get is a message saying that they charge was in the terms of agreement.
A_Guy_in_Bloomfi eld

Hartford, CT

#33 Apr 13, 2011
I own my own 125 gallon tank that costs about 400 bucks. I purchase my propane from Osterman now for 2 years. I use it to heat my water, run my kitchen Stove, and I also have a small propane fireplace in my den. I never pay over $ 3.50 a gallon. When I started with them it was like $1.85 a gallon. They quoted me something like 25 cents over the price that they pay at the port. and it is always that way. I could not be happier.
maybe you folks should strike your deal before you purchase.
wiggles

United States

#34 Feb 10, 2012
whats the latest on Propane services / pricing and tank purchasing North Haven / East haven area?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Killingworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT (Apr '15) Feb 12 Observer 8
News With Borders Open, a Syrian Family Arrives in B... Feb 12 America Gentleman... 2
Review: Bridgepoint Mortgage LLC (Mar '15) Jan '17 Mylanta 7
News Trump election brings abortion debate to new level Dec '16 Daddy 2
News Autism Not A Barrier To 16-Year-Old Trinity Fre... Sep '16 RICK 77 1
News Shoreline Town Balks At Possible New Amtrak Line (Feb '16) Sep '16 Samuels Furnace Man 7
News Young Children Still Suspended In High Numbers ... (Jul '16) Aug '16 BPT 12

Killingworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Killingworth Mortgages