Why Gas Prices Are Rising So Soon

Why Gas Prices Are Rising So Soon

There are 66 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 14, 2007, titled Why Gas Prices Are Rising So Soon. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Temporary Refinery Shutdowns Seen As One Factor; Governor Calls For Investigation March 15, 2007 By MARK PETERS , Courant Staff Writer The groans over rising gas prices are starting earlier this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ken

United States

#66 Jul 31, 2007
test
ROSS

Fayetteville, AR

#67 Apr 28, 2008
Gas prices held generally steady for so long why is it that since 2001 they have gone up so much?
Fed Up

Cobleskill, NY

#68 Apr 28, 2008
I understand how the market works and what bboomber is saying. The concern i have is that your average everyday joe has lived the majority (if not all) of their lives with inexpensive energy solutions. Does this mean they are in some way owed this...no..but the concern is that a large portion of the population has in many ways organized their lives around this. There are some things people can do to save energy but no matter what ... the rising energy costs will cost EVERYONE. If its profit driven or supply and demand driven (which many analysts have now admitted that Oil is not following the true laws of supply and demand any more)... either way it is costing us all. The concern I have is that the economy could crumble far further as Americans reduce their spending everywhere else to fund their fuel useage to get to places like work etc. Yes we are a capitlaistic society...and our economy is driven by consumption and spending... not all in our gas tanks however.

we will either pay at the pump or we will pay large sums of money to move and adjust our life styles to accomodate extremely high gas prices. I understand bboomer and that we pay relatively low for energy BUT ... most of our population has lived their entire life with inexpensive solutions... now... unline places like England, Germany etc where prices have always been high and thus the average consumer has adjusted their lives to it... here in the states its a HUGE shock to be absorbed.

I also believe that people who pushed for biofuels especially in the food sector are on CRACK. I dont know how ANYONE can say that this is a good idea with a straight face. crossing food with fuel??? NOT GOOD.

i dont have the answers to this problem... but i think those saying "use less" need to realize its just not that simple to use less in our lives as they currently exist. I pretty much use my vehicle when i have to. I still work 20 miles from my job and unless i uproot and pay 3 times what i paid for my house... i will have to pay the high gas prices to get to/from work
Matt

Ansonia, CT

#69 Apr 28, 2008
A few corrections:

~The Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank, which is different from a conservative think tank.

~Oil companies claim an after-tax profit of 8.3 cents per dollar of sales, not per gallon. And, as of 4/28/08, taxes on gas in CT total 62.5 cents per gallon. At $3.71 per gallon, that's 30.8 cents to the oil companies and 62.5 cents to government.
Hosed by the system

United States

#70 Apr 28, 2008
Wall st is at fault here.........wake up........

No president or his "buddy's" are controlling ANYTHING.......... are the oil company's cashing in???? Sure they are....how can they NOT make money when this damn planet consumes over 80 MILLION barrels of oil PER friggin day.......do the damn math people.........even if we cut our consumption 30% the price wont drop THAT much......as long as there is "investments", as long as demand will be where it is for oil, as long as there is NO visable alternative to replace oil...WALL St will continue to play ALL of us.........
Fed Up

Cobleskill, NY

#71 Apr 28, 2008
Hosed... you do understand that even the economists and analysts are admitting that the rules of supply and demand nolonger apply with oil. The prices go up regardless of demand at this point.

One problem i really have is that our whole economic system and lifestyle includes the ability to have inexpensive fuel for travel. People liver further away from work than they did in the past. People live further away from family etc. People travel further for vacations etc. Trucking and freighting merchandise/food etc rely on low prices. I understand that we need to adjust but this is nothing that can be done even remotely overnight. People cant flock to the cities tomorrow uprooting their lives just to save fuel etc. There is no quick fix but the fuel prices are certainly insanely fast at increasing. If the fuel continues at this rate it will increase far faster than our ability to change our economic and personal lifestyles to counter the cost increases and this will ravage our economy. The investors or whoever you want to blame seem more than willing to milk the economy for every single cent they can. This I guess is a part of Captialism.. but it is also starting to show itself as a weakness.

In the end... i guess my big beef is that its not even remotely easy for our entire infrastructure that has been based upon inexpensive fuel to be changed overnight or at least in time to counter what appears to be a rapidly approaching economic catastrophe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Killingworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bridgeport receives $125K grant to fight youth ... Oct '17 BPT 4
News PrideFest Draws Hundreds To Downtown Hartford Sep '17 Did Not Go 2
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT (Apr '15) Aug '17 researchOGS 10
News U.S. Education Secretary Uses Former East Hartf... Jun '17 pulte pollutes 2
News Charter Schools Continue To Suspend Students At... (Apr '16) Apr '16 America Gentleman... 1
News South Windsor Police: Man Recorded Under Women'... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Bonnie Parker 1
News Enfield State Rep. Accepted Into Program Follow... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Larry 1

Killingworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Killingworth Mortgages