Feral Cat Colonies in Cove

Feral Cat Colonies in Cove

Posted in the Killeen Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
charlie youngs

Belton, TX

#1 Mar 14, 2013
I am sending information to the Cove Leader about the dangers of a City allowing feral cat colonies in a city. It is not a good health situation. Please take the time to read my articles. After you read the articles you make up your own mind.
Jackie

Copperas Cove, TX

#2 May 1, 2013
You will have stray cats regardless of if it's "allowed" or not. Having Trap and Release programs, where the strays are spayed/neutered and marked (usually ear tipped) helps keep populations of stray cats down. Cats live in territories and having sterilized adult cats in these colonies roaming around will keep the unsterilized ones from moving in and breeding.

The real problem is with irresponsible pet owners letting their unsterilized cats roam around and breed willy nilly. You want to help reduce the stray and feral population? Be pro-TNR and work with vets, shelters, rescues and other providers to help educate the public and bring low cost sterilization programs to Cove, laws that REQUIRE spay/neuter of pets, unless an expensive license is obtained, etc.
George Fox

San Antonio, TX

#3 Jul 1, 2013
charlie youngs wrote:
I am sending information to the Cove Leader about the dangers of a City allowing feral cat colonies in a city. It is not a good health situation. Please take the time to read my articles. After you read the articles you make up your own mind.
Charlie Youngs knows nothing about feral cats in Cove. Up till the time he quit the council he did not know there were cats in Cove. Info about the city allowing feral cat colonies. Charlie they are already here. Where have you been? Most of these cats are on private property. Ever heard of private property rights? With all the info that Charlie has provided there is still one item missing. That is "WHAT IS HIS PLAN?"
Retired 1SG

Waco, TX

#4 Jul 1, 2013
So what's the problem?
Charlie hasn't been on the city council for a long time. Nothing has changed since he first posted this.
I have seen 4 or 5 in the woods on the hillside behind my house. Just ignore them. They don't want to mess with people either. But they do help keep the varmints away - mice, rats, even snakes. Just ensure that if you have a dog or cat that their shots are up to date.
Charlie Youngs

Belton, TX

#5 Jul 27, 2013
George Fox wrote:
<quoted text> Charlie Youngs knows nothing about feral cats in Cove. Up till the time he quit the council he did not know there were cats in Cove. Info about the city allowing feral cat colonies. Charlie they are already here. Where have you been? Most of these cats are on private property. Ever heard of private property rights? With all the info that Charlie has provided there is still one item missing. That is "WHAT IS HIS PLAN?"
They are a health threat to the citizens of Copperas Cove. They will be a cost to the citizens of Copperas Cove. I am more concerned about the safety, health and welfare of the kids and citizens of Copperas Cove than I am about the feral cats. They kill wild life and destroy the environment the live in. They are a health issue.
mr deer

Killeen, TX

#6 Jul 27, 2013
Charlie Youngs wrote:
<quoted text>They are a health threat to the citizens of Copperas Cove. They will be a cost to the citizens of Copperas Cove. I am more concerned about the safety, health and welfare of the kids and citizens of Copperas Cove than I am about the feral cats. They kill wild life and destroy the environment the live in. They are a health issue.
IMO the wild deer herd roaming the City
are a bigger health hazard. What's the plan to remedy that problem.
Retired 1SG

Waco, TX

#7 Jul 27, 2013
I don't know about a bigger health hazard, but their "uniqueness" has worn off about 10 years ago.
They eat anything you plant.
Jackie

Copperas Cove, TX

#8 Jul 29, 2013
Charlie, people kill wildlife and destroy the environment we live in. Pot, meet kettle.

Proper cat colonies are managed by the community and they are fixed and vaccinated. Which is more than I can say about some of the residents.
packisback

Killeen, TX

#9 Aug 2, 2013
The new apartment complex destroyed the cat colony that was behind the old BBQ place in the Seoul Garden shopping area. They tore down the cat condos & now the folks have stopped feeding them. There are only 1 or 2 left. It was a dump now it is a nice area to look at if you hapen to live there
Huh

United States

#10 Aug 2, 2013
Well I say put the topic on the November ballot and let the cove citizens vote on it rather than push the issue by some that don't live in cove. Just ask the ones yelling louder what city they live in and then ask why. Cove issue that needs to be addressed by cove citizens, not outsiders. Just my opinion
Kristy

Killeen, TX

#11 Sep 2, 2013
Health problems?! That is just nonsense. Never heard of health issues from feral cats, if you have then please provide proof. If these cats are vaccinated then there will not be any health issues to worry about. Doing nothing does not work and many people will not be happy with killing thousands of cats. They deserve a chance to be adopted. Shame on Cove!!!
Kristy

Killeen, TX

#12 Sep 2, 2013
packisback wrote:
The new apartment complex destroyed the cat colony that was behind the old BBQ place in the Seoul Garden shopping area. They tore down the cat condos & now the folks have stopped feeding them. There are only 1 or 2 left. It was a dump now it is a nice area to look at if you hapen to live there
Not true, those cats are still being fed. The difference is that some people got together and did trap-neuter-return. The cats that were returned are all spay/neutered and vaccinated and truly feral. We adopted out the kittens and tame cats. So it may seem like there is only 1 or 2 but that is not true. Feral cats hide from people so you will not see them until they are being fed by the caretakers.
That is a very good example of how good TNR works!!!
Cat lover

Belton, TX

#13 Sep 3, 2013
Charlie Youngs wrote:
<quoted text>
They are a health threat to the citizens of Copperas Cove. They will be a cost to the citizens of Copperas Cove. I am more concerned about the safety, health and welfare of the kids and citizens of Copperas Cove than I am about the feral cats. They kill wild life and destroy the environment the live in. They are a health issue.
You're concerned about safety & welfare of kids & citizens, all the dog feces in park that your kid plays in doesn't concern you, all the sex or the condoms in the parks doesn't concern you? The cats that are getting spay or neutered & taken care of is your concern? Get your priorities straight.....
Scorpion

Waco, TX

#14 Sep 4, 2013
The City Council just passed a new ordinance making it illegal to feed feral cats.
This is getting ridiculous. If people feed them they will not go and kill birds and squirrels for food.
They will also become part tame, and maybe get adopted.
This city has its head up its ass.
Cat lover

Houston, TX

#15 Sep 5, 2013
Huh wrote:
Well I say put the topic on the November ballot and let the cove citizens vote on it rather than push the issue by some that don't live in cove. Just ask the ones yelling louder what city they live in and then ask why. Cove issue that needs to be addressed by cove citizens, not outsiders. Just my opinion
Well, sometimes you have to bring in outsiders to get outside objectives. Since Cove doesn't seem to be in this century, I welcome all & any help no matter where we get it from. Just my opinion...
paco

United States

#16 Sep 5, 2013
This is Texes not Chicago, no incumbent city council member will get my vote, same league as $10 dollar charge for a garage sale, and the code enforcement gestapo.
Jackie

Copperas Cove, TX

#17 Sep 6, 2013
Paco, I'm with you - though the platform I'm hearing from at least one of the candidates who is running isn't much brighter than the existing council person (who is ineligible to run again) and she considers herself pro-animal rights.(TN is fine, but not Return - release only outside of city limits, which is not good for a number of reasons.)

http://www.siferalinitiative.org/removal
Paco

Killeen, TX

#18 Sep 6, 2013
Thank You Jackie I am going to start attending the council meetings and looking for a home outside the city limits, More laws and rules is not the answer. I have lived all over the country but never in a town like this one.
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

#19 Sep 6, 2013
They worry about 4 or 5 cats in the woods on the street where I live, but nothing about the two herds of 30+ deer that eat everything you plant.
Kenn Smith

Waco, TX

#20 Sep 7, 2013
Retired 1SG wrote:
They worry about 4 or 5 cats in the woods on the street where I live, but nothing about the two herds of 30+ deer that eat everything you plant.
Top, unfortunately there isn't much the city can do about the deer problem, and it is a problem. The deer are the property of the state and we can't do anything about them without the cooperation of TPWD. They don't seem very enthusiastic about coming in here and trying to trap 3 or 4 hundred deer and relocating them to less urban areas.
I have a herd of 12 - 15 which bed down in my back yard regularly. They have killed young trees I planted and eaten most of my flowers. Bambi they ain't :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Killeen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florence family: police chief shot 2 dogs (Jun '12) Mon RAT 5
Harker Heights. Twin Peaks to Host BIKE NIGHT May 25 Retired 1SG 2
Disgusting Property (Jan '13) May 24 Some said 16
News Jade 15: Texas and the whole GOP Going Mad May 24 Tazo 8
Review: Dale Photography May 23 HATE SCAMMERS 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 20 Banfartos 708
Military soldiers who abuse their wives and kid... May 19 Kathy Cole 3
More from around the web

Killeen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]