Nolocalnews

Farmville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Anyone know what happened yesterday afternoon at the corner of First St. and the bypass? It appeared that a bicyclist was struck by a car. There is, as usual, no local coverage for news so not sure what happened or if there were any serious injuries. Also, PLEASE! for the love of all that is right and just, can we NOT make this into a nasty name calling, insult throwing, BS tossing, fest about one type of vehicle over another. Thank you.
hello

Cameron, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

nah. it'll turn into a race thing right off.

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

This is what I've heard from my bicycle club MB. The cyclist was crossing the BP west bound to continue west on 1st St. Her light was green, she had the right of way. The AH, excuse me, motorist was eastbound on 1st, turning north on the bypass. Ran right into her. She has multiple broken bones, should recover.

Drivers! In intersections pedestrians and cyclists and of course other cars going straight have the right of way! I shouldn't have to say it but apparently this car didn't know it. Was he/she on his/her cell phone? The first thing a lawyer will check on!
gay black guy

Elizabeth City, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Judged:

The bicyclist should pay better attention. Those cars are a lot bigger than they are. The bicyclist may have had the right of way, but they were almost dead right.
hello

Cameron, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

there are a lot of folks who don't know what the right of way is. about seven years ago, they got the bright idea of putting four way stop signs in downtown manteo. it was a nightmare. all those highschoolers driving back there to go to and from school were clueless. they ended up putting it back the way it was. don't they teach that stuff in drivers ed?

Kitty Hawk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

gay black guy wrote:
The bicyclist should pay better attention. Those cars are a lot bigger than they are. The bicyclist may have had the right of way, but they were almost dead right.
I actually agree. When I cross the bypass (many times at that same intersection) I am looking at ALL cars ALL the way around me. Why this accident happened; I don't know.
sicka dodgen people

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Judged:

Is it time that the outer banks needs a law against people walking,riding bikes,scooters on a highway? Wake up its a highway not a bike path.

Kitty Hawk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Ahhhhh....sicka, she was CROSSING the bypass....at an intersection, she had a green light.
sicka dodgen people

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Ahhhh... glasspilot HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED this year alone? I think HIGHWAYS are made for cars and paths are for bikes
US Citizen

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

glasspilot wrote:
Ahhhhh....sicka, she was CROSSING the bypass....at an intersection, she had a green light.
I agree that there shouldnt be pedestrians and bicyclists on the highway. It has been too many fatalities in the past (several people have been killed or injured quite bad) The highway is for motor vehicles, not peds, etc. Its too dangerous!!!! Do these people care about their life or just want to kill themselves?
sicka dodgen people

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

glasspilot were you there to see that she had a green light or are you going on here say?
sicka dodgen people

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

typo hear say
Manteo12

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

If you are on a bicycle you must protect your own life! I was pulling onto the bypass from Subway in Nags Head the other day and a young girl on a bike pulled right in front of me. Luckily I was watching for her, but it easily could have been a big accident. When you have vehicles going 55mph, they may look down and it be too late for someone on a bike who isn't being cautious!
US Citizen

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Manteo12 wrote:
If you are on a bicycle you must protect your own life! I was pulling onto the bypass from Subway in Nags Head the other day and a young girl on a bike pulled right in front of me. Luckily I was watching for her, but it easily could have been a big accident. When you have vehicles going 55mph, they may look down and it be too late for someone on a bike who isn't being cautious!
this is my point,,,dont ride a bicycle or walk on the bypass if you want to live because you are playing russsian roulette walking or riding on the bypass...Good Luck Who Attempts it
hugo

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

This is really out of style, but what happened to walking your bike across a road like we were taught(before idiots decided that bikes and cars were equal)
Southern Shores Res

Windsor, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

Judged:

If you are on a bike you better assume you NEVER have the right of way or they will print it on your tombstone. Just saying............
ShareTheRoadItsT heLaw

Farmville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

sicka dodgen people wrote:
glasspilot were you there to see that she had a green light or are you going on here say?
The operator of the motor vehicle was turning left from First street onto the bypass so either they both had a green light... first street does not have a left turn arrow light... or the motor vehicle operator was running a red light. Not hearsay just simple logic.

Kitty Hawk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

Share,

Of course they both have a green. Now, if you drive you should know this: Who has the right of way, the vehicle going straight? Or the one turning left? Duh!
Jay

Kill Devil Hills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

Hopefully she will make a full and speedy recovery. Like the accident at the colington light this was totally the drivers fault. It could have been a pedestrian crossing legally in ghe crosswalk and they still would have been hit according to the story I was told. If anyone knows how to get the police report I'd love to read it. As a cyclist I try to ride as if no cars see me and try to make sure not to alter there path in the least. Having the right of way don't mean nothing if I'm dead.
ShareTheRoadItsT heLaw

Farmville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

glasspilot wrote:
Share,
Of course they both have a green. Now, if you drive you should know this: Who has the right of way, the vehicle going straight? Or the one turning left? Duh!
Actually there are traffic lights that have a left turn arrow light that allows individuals to turn from one side of the intersection while maintaining a red light on the other side of the intersection such as at the intersection of the bypass and Colington road. I was simply pointing out that First Street and the bypass is not one of those intersections and so you could tell that the bicyclist had a green light if the motor vehicle did; which the poster questioned your knowledge of. And as I do operate multiple vehicles I do know the laws governing right of way from all the angles and if both operators have a green light then the vehicle turning must yield. So tell me then, if the bicyclist was NOT on the roadway when they entered the intersection (i.e. on the sidewalk) who was responsible for the accident according to the law?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of26
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Kill Devil Hills Forum right now

Search the Kill Devil Hills Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 10 min TSF 55,594
Bed Bugs at Wilbur and Orville Days Inn Oceanfr... 4 hr Observer 26
Missy Marvin Update 8 hr hahahaha 11
Cops at walmart thurs nite Mon news 5
Why no traffic direction at 158 & 12 on Saturdays? Mon lately 10
Fresh Market anyone? Mon Well 4
Bad experience in Knitting Addiction (Mar '10) Sun HLS 41
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Dare County was issued at July 22 at 4:42AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••