Liberty City and #8217;s Residents Di...

Liberty City and #8217;s Residents Discuss Fondness For Quirky Community

There are 4 comments on the Tyler Morning Telegraph story from Jun 25, 2012, titled Liberty City and #8217;s Residents Discuss Fondness For Quirky Community. In it, Tyler Morning Telegraph reports that:

Tucked inside the westernmost part of Gregg County lies a community, formerly named Hog Eye, with a rich history that includes being chosen for Texas Monthly Magazine's Bum Steer Award because of city government follies.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tyler Morning Telegraph.

Dan - a LC resident

United States

#1 Jul 5, 2012
I was disappointed by this article. I was even more disappointed that I couldn't post my comments on Tyler's site. That's not my focus though.

Liberty City is a great community, but it's being held down by people like Frank 'Bo' Camp and Mrs. Odom (the unnamed sister who runs the pharmacy). It is in both of their best interest to keep the community small. So much so, that they strongly oppose building a new Elementary school, even though ours has grown old, moldy, and dilapidated.

It bothers me that those 2 people were chosen to be the voice of our community. I understand they have ties to the beginnings of Liberty City, but our community could be so much more without them focusing on how they can lessen the amount of taxes they have to pay.

United States

#2 Jul 6, 2012
That's your big concern? When I went to school there it was known for its dope dealing. It's even worse there now. Guess you need to do some digging because the state of buildings is the least of Sabines concerns!
Dan again

Gladewater, TX

#3 Jul 6, 2012
Everywhere you go there will be drugs. All you have to do is open your eyes. If you think dope is bad in Sabine, you should take a trip through some of the neighborhoods in Marshall. I have driven through a neighborhood where a group of people were huddled around a glass pipe. The messed up thing is that they weren't even 3 feet off the side of the road. I'm no drug dealer nor do I claim to be the expert in drugs for Liberty City, but I seriously doubt you will find that it's that bad here.

That is not the only problem I have with this town. I feel that the school invests too heavily in a sport we will never be good at (Football) and not nearly high enough in something we should try to be superior at (education). This is my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.

The original topic from the Tyler Morning Telegraph wasn't about drugs or education / football in Sabine or any town around it. It was about our small town where we don't like change. It seems that our town is divided, and I just stated that I was disappointed that they only received half of the picture. I'd be willing to bet money that once this town no longer has a Bo Camp or Mrs. Odom (CoCo Properties) to hinder it, we will have more progressive growth.

United States

#4 Jul 6, 2012
Or maybe try investing in the girls sports since the guys waste theirs. Yes, drugs are that bad in Sabine. Don't kid yourself. Irregardless Of what the arrival was about. It's a jacked up town. At least Gregg county finally decides to patrol it. That and parents throwing prom parties serving alcohol to minors. Yup, Sabine hasn't changed ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kilgore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albert's hot sauce (Dec '10) Mon JeepJeep 10
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 19 Video farts 835
Tisha Mullins, Tadder (Oct '08) Nov 12 She is so sexy 4
Unsolved murders (Mar '07) Nov 6 sickened 119
News State trooper: Job rewarding despite people's m... (Aug '09) Nov 2 Trp Muehlstein 134
Longview news journal Oct 29 Bri 5
Debate: Gay Marriage - Longview, TX (Jan '12) Oct 29 no1important 39
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kilgore Mortgages