Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

I commend the community spirit that is rising to the occasion of celebrating the upcoming Fourth of July holiday, but ask you to consider how you spend the product of all this good will.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

Jim Nash 'The biggest problems with the Superferry were the ramp barges the Alakai needed to load and unload'

No, the biggest problem was the ecoterrorists in the pay of Young Bros and the rental car companies. If you think they will ever let the Superferry run, you are sadly mistaken. In the name of the environment, but actually in the name of profit to people opposed to the competition, you will never see a high speed interisland ferry service.
Pops

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

S.D. Wilson How right you are. Putting people to select a new chief that know nothing about police work is STUPID, STUPID AND MORE STUPID.
Mike Hu

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

The whole idea of "public service" and "government," is that people share the burden as equally as possible --

and not like now when they're saying they have "theirs," and everybody else is stupid because they didn't grab it first like they did -- and so it is too bad for everybody else and they have to make greater sacrifices so that the government workers don't have to.
Pat

Kaunakakai, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

IT would seem hypocritical of Obama to question Iran on "crushing discent" when American citizens phone and internet is tapped, innocent people are placed on "no fly list" thus their rights abused, when the media ignores discent in America, Palestine, and Israel unless it can be used for propaganda purposes.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

500 tons of sulfur from fireworks is nothing compared to the amount that the volcano spews out every second year round.

Since: Jan 09

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

Mr. Weyant, i don't know how long you have been here, but to answer your question, we have had fireworks here for decades. So yes, in keeping that tradition, we would like it to continue.All you people who oppose fireworks as pollutants are way off base. Look around. We are on an island way out here in da ocean.no heavy smog hangs over Honolulu like it does other cities on the mainland. It all get blown away.You don't like the noise maybe? Put da cigarette butt inside da ear, den go sleep. Dat way..you no need hear our firecrackers and we no need see or hear you complaining. we all get a long..alohas to you..
no_need

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

"Perhaps something for the community other than 500 pounds of sulfur in the air and spent shells in the bay? Do we need explosions to be happy?
Dan Weyant
Kaaawa"

yeah. like maybe we could hold an island-wide chickenfight instead.

tradition is tradition, right? take away one, take away all of them.
Kaaawa43

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

tama2cool2,

I've lived here for 23 years, but what difference does that make ? Is there a residency requirement for not CONTINUING to pump man-made chemicals into the sea and air ? Is that how you Malama the Aina ?

Just because the smoke usually gets blown someplace WE don't suffer it does NOT mean it's a good idea to generate more pollution. The noise - while annoying isn't a big deal to me, but when the economy is in the tank do we REALLY need to spend money on something as frivolous as fireworks ? It's like a kid that can't afford gas or insurance buying a bigger truck !

By the way, 18 years ago I lived less than a block from the Kalapawai for a couple of years and I can tell you for certain the neighborhood DREADS the traffic, crowds, trash and hassle of the 4th of July.

Peace to all, aloha.
DW
no_need

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Kaaawa43 wrote:
tama2cool2,
I've lived here for 23 years, but what difference does that make ? Is there a residency requirement for not CONTINUING to pump man-made chemicals into the sea and air ? Is that how you Malama the Aina ?
Just because the smoke usually gets blown someplace WE don't suffer it does NOT mean it's a good idea to generate more pollution. The noise - while annoying isn't a big deal to me, but when the economy is in the tank do we REALLY need to spend money on something as frivolous as fireworks ? It's like a kid that can't afford gas or insurance buying a bigger truck !
By the way, 18 years ago I lived less than a block from the Kalapawai for a couple of years and I can tell you for certain the neighborhood DREADS the traffic, crowds, trash and hassle of the 4th of July.
Peace to all, aloha.
DW
when the economy is bad, you want to take away a public event that won't cost a family of 4 much money to enjoy? in these hard times, we need to find something that pushes back reality for a moment and enjoy being with our families.

in fact, such an event will help to spur the economy as people will buy food and sundry items from your community's businesses. the traffic for one day is a minor inconvenience when you look at the overall picture. imagine how people who live near the stadium feel?

Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Pat wrote:
IT would seem hypocritical of Obama to question Iran on "crushing discent" when American citizens phone and internet is tapped, innocent people are placed on "no fly list" thus their rights abused, when the media ignores discent in America, Palestine, and Israel unless it can be used for propaganda purposes.
You ain't seen nothing yet! Wait till we pass the "Fairness Doctrine", Rush must be silenced. We will also use the National Census to cement our power in place. I would like to thank you Pat and Bill Maher for your support. Mahalo!
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Mike wrote:
500 tons of sulfur from fireworks is nothing compared to the amount that the volcano spews out every second year round.
Al Gore suggested that I jump into the volcano to stop global warming. I'm thinking of doing it, because I have been diagnosed with "Brain Cloud" which is terminal.
Put a Lid on it

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

The funds for the Kailua Fireworks display were raised from private donors. If people did not want the display they would not have given. So, obviously, the display is wanted. So put a sock in it and let us enjoy our holiday the way we want. You wont hear anything in Kaaawa, nor will you get any pollution. As for DW, if you were as Kama'aina as you think you are, you'd understand the importance of our traditions.
Kaaawa43 wrote:
tama2cool2,
Peace to all, aloha.
DW
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

please donate the $42,0000 to charity and skip the loud, polluting fireworks. Waht is wrong with Kailua anyway? geesh..where is your community spirit?
Wildman

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

alice wrote:
please donate the $42,0000 to charity and skip the loud, polluting fireworks. Waht is wrong with Kailua anyway? geesh..where is your community spirit?
Let em burn it alice...its going to be the fastest
42,000 spent in 1/2 an hour to 40min's,hmm might be the worlds record....is it?...i'm gonna find out.
we may a record here!...
alice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

true...but it is odd that so many in Kailua refuse to contribute to charities yet can come up with so much money for the noise pollution. Shame on them! They are an embarrassment!
Environmental lady

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

I agree with Alice about saving that money from fireworks for more worthy causes. Perhaps it can go toward worthy high school athletics? In this day and age of economic shortfall, it might be wise to cancel fireworks this year and put the money to better use.
SilentDoGood

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Why are people still complaining about fireworks when almost 400,000 people in the U.S. die each year from tobacco products. The real killer is tobacco. All smokers are legal addicts that can't quite on their own. Smoking should be banned at all public places.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

SilentDoGood wrote:
Why are people still complaining about fireworks when almost 400,000 people in the U.S. die each year from tobacco products. The real killer is tobacco. All smokers are legal addicts that can't quite on their own. Smoking should be banned at all public places.
More people will die in the light "Fuel Efficient" cars, that my Administration has just forced on the American people, then died in the war on the sovereign nation of Iraq. So what's my point? Somebody help Big Joe!
zero in get a grip

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Summarize - King Kamehameha Celebration 4th of
July Celebration Hawaii StateHood 50th Celebration Thanksgiving Christmas Holidays
Hawaiians have a rich histories of their culture
Are we celebrating the American way of life?
THINK ABOUT IT!
Wildman

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

heres an idea...sunset on the beach with a wide screen and loud spakers...music to the theme for it...safe enviromentally smoke free...and free for all the kids to enjoy.......check it out!....

http://www.maylin.net/fireworks.html

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Search the Kihei Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Wed Musikologist 8
Review: All Stars Garage Mar 27 Roger 1
Thank you Mar '14 Judy and Art 1
Rudeness Mar '14 Pattie 1
Ululani's keeps growIng Feb '14 Betty 1
Ranchers welcome rain Feb '14 tongangodz 2
Kihei stay this weekend is the costliest in U.S. Feb '14 Stranger in Town 2
•••
•••