News | /2008/02/07/

News | /2008/02/07/

There are 27 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Feb 7, 2008, titled News | /2008/02/07/. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Kauai officers plead no contest to theft The three allegedly lied about attending a training seminar By Tom Finnegan [email protected] LIHUE Three Kauai police officers pleaded no contest yesterday to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pua

Honolulu, HI

#21 Feb 7, 2008
And they call these men HAWAII'S FINEST??
I think not! They're just as crooked as the criminals on the street...
lea

Honolulu, HI

#22 Feb 7, 2008
To Waimea - I'm not slamming the Chief or the ADA for doing their job, I hope the officer's get what the courts decide. I'm commenting on all the bigots out there that think they're so pristine and holy. Who hasn't made mistakes in their life, we should ALL learn from them.
lea

Honolulu, HI

#23 Feb 7, 2008
pua wrote:
They were at one time! They chose to do what they did and will now have to pay for it. I fully agree, they are criminals.
Kakaako resident

Lihue, HI

#24 Feb 7, 2008
Jennifer from New York, NY, stick to the issue at hand, instead of making unnecessary judgemental comments of what Hawaiian style is or is not. Auwe!
Bike rider

Honolulu, HI

#25 Feb 7, 2008
pua wrote:
Pua, oh come on! These guys made a mistake, but it's hardly worth crucifying them over. As I said before, by all accounts they've been good cops, with a good record of getting dope (and dope dealers) off the streets. I'd hope that the Kauai PD would work to find a way to rehabilitate their erroneous behavior and then put them back to work. Our courts and our criminal justice system have bent over backwards to help criminals - I'd think we'd show a similar attitude to public servants that make a bad mistake.
Kauai Native

Waianae, HI

#26 Feb 7, 2008
Seriously, how many of the thousands of County & State employees have done exactly the same thing and never been prosecuted? This is nothing more than selective prosecution by an AG hoping to making a name for himself. I know these three officers and despite this stupid mistake, they were VERY good, clean cops. Their real mistake was actually doing something about the drug problem on the island thereby angering the dealers and their "friends" on the force who then pushed for prosecution. That the AG is allowing himself to be used to persecute those who actually clean up the community is appalling. Convicting and firing these cops does nothing to actually clean up the department--the real crooks are still there and still controlling things.

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#27 Feb 8, 2008
ExNarcoCopper wrote:
This doesn't suprise me. What suprises me is why more people are not prosecuted for taking public money for not doing what is expected. Think of all the public officials who attend forign trips and attend one meeting to justify a two week tour. The mistake these cops made was not having someone sign them into the classes.
Many times officers are assigned to seminars as a reward for good work. The subject matter may not have been relivent to their present work assignment. They are expected to attend some of the classes but I guess in this case, they didn't even make the attempt. Okay they screwed up. I have attended 7 day or 14 day seminars in Hawaii where the seminar instructors (sometimes 3 or more)would all show up for the orentation then you would only see one instructor each day. The rest were on sightseeing tours. Now I'm sure they were being paid for every day of the seminar.
I have also worked in the convention field for a couple of years. Companies send their employees to conventions for two or three days. Most attendees only attend one day but they are being paid for all three days. Should they be prosecuted for theft for taking the money for the two days they were enjoying themselves. I don't think so. Make the officers pay back the money and punish them on a level that fits the crime. Fix the problem, make the attendees more accountable. We had to write a report on all the classes we attended and give some kind of feedback to the Department.
Come on people, this is not a career ending situation.
So their mistake was not committing ANOTHER act of fraud because they did not get someone else to sign their names?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov 12 Musikologist 13
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3

Kihei Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kihei Mortgages