News | /2008/02/07/

Kauai officers plead no contest to theft The three allegedly lied about attending a training seminar By Tom Finnegan tfinnegan@starbulletin.com LIHUE Three Kauai police officers pleaded no contest yesterday to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kpinkerton

Apache Junction, AZ

#1 Feb 7, 2008
I have been expressing this for many years. There are crooked cops in our system!
el otro hombre

Honolulu, HI

#2 Feb 7, 2008
Isn't it their first amendment right to lie. So really they have grounds that their civil rights have been violated and could sue for millions. I can't wait until the Democrats start appointing looney tunes for federal judges. And the scary thing is the will probably pass scrutiny because of political correctness. Well at least people can still make money in this country by selling short the US Dollar.
jennifer

Astoria, NY

#3 Feb 7, 2008
They should be fired a long time ago not on paid administrative leave with tax payers money and pay restitution. Sent to a federal prison.

Typical Hawaii style they take forever in deciding things. So backwards.

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#4 Feb 7, 2008
kpinkerton wrote:
I have been expressing this for many years. There are crooked cops in our system!
Brilliant! You are a genious! Hey, and maybe there are macadamia nuts on the Big Island. Garans there's at least one nut reading the Star Bulletin.

Name me one occupation that you can guarantee does not include the possibility of having at least one employee who breaks or has broken laws.

By the way, did you pay that ticket?
One For All

Round Rock, TX

#5 Feb 7, 2008
jennifer wrote:
They should be fired a long time ago not on paid administrative leave with tax payers money and pay restitution. Sent to a federal prison.
CLEARLY THIS WOMAN IS PREJUDICED ABOUT HAWAI'I CALLING OUR HOME BACKWARDS. SHE MAY WANT TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR TO SEE THE PICTURE OF DUMB.

Minneapolis

#6 Feb 7, 2008
jennifer wrote:
I agree with you in principal and it would be great if the taxpayers did not have to pay.

But what would have happened if they had been found not guilty? In light of what you say about the slow turning wheels of justice (not just in Hawaii), what about supporting their families and paying bills during the proceedings?

Being one myself I am ashamed and disappointed but innocent until proven guilty is not for everyone except police officers.
Ghost of Dewey Allen

San Luis Obispo, CA

#7 Feb 7, 2008
What's been done has been done.Aside from the misrepresentings, the cashing of the spoils is the moment the two went dirty. Perriera obviously had difference of heart and never cashed the check but couldn't undo the rest. Place Perriera on a desk job and let Stem and Tada take care of the flowers around the jail for a couple of years. If Edwardo Malapit would have prosecuted them, they All could have kissed their families .....goodbye.
dreamer

Somis, CA

#8 Feb 7, 2008
Stupid is as stupid does, according to Forrest Gump. These three cops are the essence of abject stupidity.
bbbb

Pearl City, HI

#9 Feb 7, 2008
everyone makes mistakes, let them go
Manu

Honolulu, HI

#10 Feb 7, 2008
One For All wrote:
<quoted text>
CLEARLY THIS WOMAN IS PREJUDICED ABOUT HAWAI'I CALLING OUR HOME BACKWARDS. SHE MAY WANT TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR TO SEE THE PICTURE OF DUMB.
Your right on the money bra. The system we have here was introduced by the white man so don't talk about Hawaii style. Are you still looking in the mirror? What do you see? This not about Hawaii it's about individuals choice regardless what color,sex,race. The system is what it is, go cry to the Governor don't blame Hawaii. Your from Texas! no wonder!
Bike rider

Honolulu, HI

#11 Feb 7, 2008
Attending conferences and skipping out on sessions is, for the most part, harmless. So these guys took more liberty than most - slap their hands, make them pay back the money, charge them vacation days for the time on Maui, put them on the desk for a few months so they have to suffer the public humiliation to serve as an example to all their fellow officers, and then put them back on the job. By all accounts, they are otherwise good cops and effective in helping get drugs and dealers off the streets. I can't believe these guys are likely to lose their jobs and maybe go to jail. I wonder if their bosses and the prosecuting attorneys have always attended every session of every conference they've ever been to? Not a chance! There are often good reasons for skipping conference sessions - I've spent many hours in my hotel room working and being productive instead of attending conference sessions that were meaningless to me. Admitted, I haven't ever skipped the entire conference - no sense in going if that's the plan. So, assuming this is the first time any of these guys have done this sort of thing, take them out behind the woodshed, make them pay back the money and charge them vacation days, put them on public display and make them eat some humble pie, then put them back to work. Guarantee you'll have a much more productive work force.
Mililani Girl

Pearl City, HI

#12 Feb 7, 2008
Maybe they were sick, maybe not. I have attended seminars (out of state) where I was sick for a day but to see this happening where its dragging on it ridiculous. They should ask these guys to repay all the money put out for the seminar and have them on desk duties for a while and make them an example of what not to do.
Chuck - Wailuku Maui HI

Honolulu, HI

#13 Feb 7, 2008
Bike rider wrote:
Attending conferences and skipping out on sessions is, for the most part, harmless... So, assuming this is the first time any of these guys have done this sort of thing, take them out behind the woodshed, make them pay back the money and charge them vacation days...
Good points - having been to many LE seminars and training, I've seen/heard Instructors skip many portions of the events to play golf, take wives shopping, take tours, or just go to the beach. ADA Young and Chief Perry are just doing their job, but they probably may have seen the same thing happen too. There's been worst done by officers, some have even risen to administrative positions, including Deputy Chiefs, these seem to be the exception, as they were "protected" individuals, that their indiscretions were taken care of "in-house" and not made public. I am not saying what they (Kauai Officers) did was okay, what they did was wrong, stupid, and selfish.

Minneapolis

#14 Feb 7, 2008
Chuck - Wailuku Maui HI wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points - having been to many LE seminars and training, I've seen/heard Instructors skip many portions of the events to play golf, take wives shopping, take tours, or just go to the beach. ADA Young and Chief Perry are just doing their job, but they probably may have seen the same thing happen too. There's been worst done by officers, some have even risen to administrative positions, including Deputy Chiefs, these seem to be the exception, as they were "protected" individuals, that their indiscretions were taken care of "in-house" and not made public. I am not saying what they (Kauai Officers) did was okay, what they did was wrong, stupid, and selfish.
Good point, kind of like being a little bit pregnant. Yikes!

C'mon. They skipped the ENTIRE seminar! Not to say they should break rocks and make license plates but I'm a little perplexed that you appear to be minimizing the fact they broke the law.

Nowadays many LE agencies won't even hire you if you have filed for bankruptcy and you can start looking for another job if you catch a DUI. They are unwilling to risk the liability tied to the possibility of future acts involving a lack of honesty or poor judgment.

I believe in forgiveness and I don't believe incarceration is mandatory to deliver the message in this case. They have already lost their careers and have been shamed - more worse in a small place like Kauai. But, and I hope you are not saying this, a slap on the hand and a return to work is an insult to the taxpayers and other officers.

By the way, The only time I skipped any part of any LE classes or seminars was either for an emergency at home or because the instructor said we were done for the day. Sometimes that was before the official end time of the class but it wasn't over until he/she gave us permission to hele. Otherwise, like someone else said, why even go?
Andy Parx

Kailua, HI

#15 Feb 7, 2008
3 more for DOCARE, eh
ExNarcoCopper

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Feb 7, 2008
This doesn't suprise me. What suprises me is why more people are not prosecuted for taking public money for not doing what is expected. Think of all the public officials who attend forign trips and attend one meeting to justify a two week tour. The mistake these cops made was not having someone sign them into the classes.
Many times officers are assigned to seminars as a reward for good work. The subject matter may not have been relivent to their present work assignment. They are expected to attend some of the classes but I guess in this case, they didn't even make the attempt. Okay they screwed up. I have attended 7 day or 14 day seminars in Hawaii where the seminar instructors (sometimes 3 or more)would all show up for the orentation then you would only see one instructor each day. The rest were on sightseeing tours. Now I'm sure they were being paid for every day of the seminar.
I have also worked in the convention field for a couple of years. Companies send their employees to conventions for two or three days. Most attendees only attend one day but they are being paid for all three days. Should they be prosecuted for theft for taking the money for the two days they were enjoying themselves. I don't think so. Make the officers pay back the money and punish them on a level that fits the crime. Fix the problem, make the attendees more accountable. We had to write a report on all the classes we attended and give some kind of feedback to the Department.
Come on people, this is not a career ending situation.
imua

Keaau, HI

#17 Feb 7, 2008
i hope they had one hell of a time on the golf course to be worth losing their careers over! Man, it's obvious they were not thinking they would get caught, and thier knee jerk reaction of lying only made it worst.
No one is perfect-no one, so before you judge,check yourself.
imua

Keaau, HI

#18 Feb 7, 2008
wait, why could'nt they get probation, this 1 guy was high on drugs and driving when he caused a head on collision and killed an innocent person,yet he gets off not once not twice but more, and he gets probation!!!probation!!!! killing and innocent person gets you a slap on the wrist, while these public servants get slammed. Where's the justice here.
lea

Honolulu, HI

#19 Feb 7, 2008
EVERYBODY has done something they regretted, moral and criminal. Imua is exactly right...before you judge, check yourself.
Waimea Valley Boy

Honolulu, HI

#20 Feb 7, 2008
I'm glad to see that Perry isn't part of the old boy network like in the force he was previously from. Good job Chief! Get rid of the rotten apples! To imua and lea: If that's your reasoning, then why have a police force, courts, or laws for that matter? Just let everyone go because we all make mistakes! Sounds good to me...I can take care of myself...can you care for yourself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec 5 Bmused Artwork 4
Monsanto files suit in effort to block Maui's G... Nov '14 Joe Balls 3
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Kihei Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kihei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kihei News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kihei

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:43 pm PST