Letters

"A routine checkup earlier this month led doctors to recommend heart surgery" for Kauai Mayor Bryan Baptiste, according to yesterday's Star-Bulletin. How do so many people without symptoms willingly lie down ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LOL

Haiku, HI

#23 Jun 24, 2008
dargent77 wrote:
Chuck: another imbicile from the mainland instructing Hawaiians how to live.
Go away!
Your post sure looks hypocritical when your ISP says Nashville, TN. LOL
Kim

Washington Grove, MD

#24 Jun 24, 2008
So, Mayor Baptiste has surgery at Queen's, goes home to Kauai, and dies. Queen's is a disaster - a friend of mine went in for surgery two weeks ago, and they cut the wrong thing, and "don't know how it happened." When they re-hospitalized her last week, the nurses treated her for an ailment she didn't have, because they had incorrectly entered information about ANOTHER patient on my friend's chart. I hope Baptiste's family demands an autopsy. If you are seriously ill in Hawaii, you take your life in your hands if you seek treatment here.
Its An Alternative

Kalaheo, HI

#25 Jun 24, 2008
HappyClam wrote:
Gee!! I live in Kailua and have been a Windward resident for over 30 years now and, guess what!!! I have not one, not two, but three tax-payer funded trans-Ko`olau highways - including one freeway - to get to and from my no-growth part of O`ahu to do my Windward-based but state-wide NGO job.
Hey, why should I pay for public housing or old people's retirement or public schools now that my kid is long past using them?

Oh, yes, I keep forgetting - it's for the greater good to have all these things Shame on me for forgetting that!!
And, of course, there's that pesky global warming caused by those irritating greenhouse gases coming from a kazillion cars powered by fossil fuels.
Then there's that dirty little war over oil which is about to cross the trillion$$$ mark later this year.
Smart Growth - live close to where you work so you don't need long commutes - does work, but public transit is still needed.
And, yes, I pay $40 a month for a bus pass to get around town.
BTW - good luck on getting a a decent-paying job in Kailua since the NIMBYs that run the Neighborhood Board are determined to stop any new business from setting up shop - unless it's only for Kailua residents.
You said it better than I could have. I'd have said something about remembering who paid for those Kailua sewers every time Mr. I-Love-Kailua flushes.

The narrowness of the thinking among the anti-rail people is appalling. There is no "community" in their mind-set. It's all about them. They can't see that what's good for leeward commuters is good for them, too....what's good for North Shore residents is good for them, too.

If you have half a brain, do not sign the anti-rail petition -- and if you do, don't brag about it!
Taxes

Honolulu, HI

#26 Jun 24, 2008
We do not pick and choose which taxes we are willing to pay. If I were a criminal, could I choose to not send any of my tax dollars to paying for police officers or judges?

I work in Kailua and drive in from the Leeward side. I may not use rail until the route gets longer, but to be so selfish....
Toursbytrain

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jun 24, 2008
Jahn, you don't get it. Ancita works in Waikiki fixing beds. She should buy a 600k condo with her wages so she can walk to work. Problem is her employer does'nt pay her 24k a year. How you figga? The Leeward coast don't benefit from taking your trash and construction debris, yet we take it. I'll use your theory and say don't move your trash to the leeward side, bury it in your back yard. We will save alot of money. Point is. Look at a solution as a whole and not from the narrow view you get by looking through 3 tunnels.
disgusted

United States

#28 Jun 24, 2008
Jahn is a selfish ass. Who do you think also paid for the tunnels and H-3 to the windward side and did not benefit from them? What a dummmy!!
Aiea Resident

El Segundo, CA

#29 Jun 24, 2008
D.M. Hahn's reasoning is flawed. There are three options for those living on the Windward side, which I doubt very many Ewa and Leeward residents use but still subsidized with taxes paid by these residents. Same goes for Kalanianaole Highway. Did these residens have a say!?!?!

Unfortunately, most living on in Ewa and Leeward could not afford to buy places in town or the Windward side, so why should they be penalized?
Alan

Honolulu, HI

#30 Jun 24, 2008
JKai wrote:
I'm against the rail but this guy in Kailua has it all wrong. The reason against rail is that it not going to help anyone but the mayor and union bigwigs and cost all of us a lot of money.
If I thought it would really help the people of the leeward coast, I'd be all for it. That's what taxes are for, to support our infrastructure. Hawaii just seems far worse it than most places.
As far as choosing unemployment over a commute and traffic, those people don't do that for fun, they do it to feed their families and pay rent. Please oppose rail because it's a poorly thought out, obscenely expensive boondoogle that will break our already overburdened tax base, not because you're a selfish jerk.
Perfectly said how is this supposed to help the leeward side who already have traffic issues ( Ewa Beach gets no stop ) When biulding Mufi's developers dream who will have horific traffic and obscene congestion thats right the Leeward side can anyone think of a worse place to start this boondoggle thank God I live in town
Alan

Honolulu, HI

#31 Jun 24, 2008
Aiea Resident wrote:
D.M. Hahn's reasoning is flawed. There are three options for those living on the Windward side, which I doubt very many Ewa and Leeward residents use but still subsidized with taxes paid by these residents. Same goes for Kalanianaole Highway. Did these residens have a say!?!?!
Unfortunately, most living on in Ewa and Leeward could not afford to buy places in town or the Windward side, so why should they be penalized?
If this rail were real mass transit it would start in town airport to waikik imediately taking thousands off road then waikiki to airport thats right thousands more off road and yes the benifits will be felt on the leeward side two fold lesss traffic faster comute and no congestion from Mufis developers dream in fact the only people who lose is Mufi and his developer pals
As for congestion in town there are a lot more ways to bypass the construction in town not so leeward side as they have only a few ways in to town.
huh

Waimanalo, HI

#33 Jun 24, 2008
Newtowner wrote:
In response to D.M. Jahn Kailua.
The benefit to Kailua residents that you seem to not understand, is that the second city channels urban development to the southwest side of Oahu. The benefit to those that do not live in the area to be serviced by rail is that their areas will remain rural well into the future. Your tax dollars are prolonging your way of life by channeling urban development away from Kailua.
Why do poor people bear most of the burden of the surcharge tax to pay for the rail.

People who pay rent have to pay the surcharge on the rent.

People who pay a mortgage do not pay the surcharge on the mortgage.
Aiea Resident

El Segundo, CA

#34 Jun 24, 2008
Alan wrote:
<quoted text> If this rail were real mass transit it would start in town airport to waikik imediately taking thousands off road then waikiki to airport thats right thousands more off road and yes the benifits will be felt on the leeward side two fold lesss traffic faster comute and no congestion from Mufis developers dream in fact the only people who lose is Mufi and his developer pals
As for congestion in town there are a lot more ways to bypass the construction in town not so leeward side as they have only a few ways in to town.
Alan, my point wasn't where it should begin or end. The point was the mentality that this individual had about having to pay taxes for something they hardly will use, if ever. There are many projects funded by taxes that I contribute which I don't use, but don't have the "if I don't use it, why should I pay for it" attitude that this person had. Again, Windward residents have three tunnels to get to their side. Period.
geeez

Honolulu, HI

#35 Jun 24, 2008
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for the Aloha spirit. Ouch!
Hey Chuck ... the Aloha spirit's not here anymore. It's long gone.
akamon

Waipahu, HI

#36 Jun 24, 2008
Newtowner wrote:
In response to D.M. Jahn Kailua.
The benefit to Kailua residents that you seem to not understand, is that the second city channels urban development to the southwest side of Oahu. The benefit to those that do not live in the area to be serviced by rail is that their areas will remain rural well into the future. Your tax dollars are prolonging your way of life by channeling urban development away from Kailua.
good spin .
Chuck

Long Beach, CA

#37 Jun 24, 2008
geeez wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chuck ... the Aloha spirit's not here anymore. It's long gone.
It's unfortunate if that's the case. Islanders do face different challenges than people who are on the "mainland" but that is not an excuse for those who visit, do business or have a financial interest in the Aloha State.

Disgruntled bloggers are easy to dismiss. Those people remind me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". All bark and no bite.
Corrected Statement

San Jose, CA

#38 Jun 25, 2008
TO : Mark A. Koppel
RE : Bus Maps.

www.TheBus.org

Everything you could ask for and more.
Corrected Statement

San Jose, CA

#39 Jun 25, 2008
Lia wrote:
<quoted text>
A mainland ISP does NOT mean the person writing is completely ignorant of all things Hawaii.
Nor does it even mean you are on the mainland. I am sitting in my apartment in Waikiki right now. wow. go figure though were i am randomly "at" right now ?

Get a clue about technolgy people... you people that say "your not here and you dont know." are the ones that really dont know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness (Mar '14) May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Kihei Dating
Find my Match

Kihei Jobs

Kihei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kihei News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kihei

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]