Letters

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

"A routine checkup earlier this month led doctors to recommend heart surgery" for Kauai Mayor Bryan Baptiste, according to yesterday's Star-Bulletin. How do so many people without symptoms willingly lie down ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HappyClam

Waianae, HI

#1 Jun 24, 2008
Gee!! I live in Kailua and have been a Windward resident for over 30 years now and, guess what!!! I have not one, not two, but three tax-payer funded trans-Ko`olau highways - including one freeway - to get to and from my no-growth part of O`ahu to do my Windward-based but state-wide NGO job.

Hey, why should I pay for public housing or old people's retirement or public schools now that my kid is long past using them?

Oh, yes, I keep forgetting - it's for the greater good to have all these things Shame on me for forgetting that!!

And, of course, there's that pesky global warming caused by those irritating greenhouse gases coming from a kazillion cars powered by fossil fuels.

Then there's that dirty little war over oil which is about to cross the trillion$$$ mark later this year.

Smart Growth - live close to where you work so you don't need long commutes - does work, but public transit is still needed.

And, yes, I pay $40 a month for a bus pass to get around town.

BTW - good luck on getting a a decent-paying job in Kailua since the NIMBYs that run the Neighborhood Board are determined to stop any new business from setting up shop - unless it's only for Kailua residents.

willie

Farmington, MI

#2 Jun 24, 2008
Rena Blumberg - I seriously doubt they intentionally burn up their irrigation pipes, that would not only be costly it would be downright stupid. There are probably far more toxic gases in VOG than are ever generated by cane burning. Perhaps you might suggest a large cork be placed in the vents on the Big Island.

How long have you lived on Maui? I bet you are a recent transplant and if you had moved near the airport would now be complaining about the take offs and landings.
dargent77

AOL

#3 Jun 24, 2008
Willie...I live on Maui, and shut the he*l up! What's with this Novi, MI punk saying anything about Hawai'i? Go run for mayor, fool.
willie

Farmington, MI

#4 Jun 24, 2008
dargent77 wrote:
Willie...I live on Maui, and shut the he*l up! What's with this Novi, MI punk saying anything about Hawai'i? Go run for mayor, fool.
Thanks KING dargent77.

Let me check the posting guidelines on this website......
dargent77

AOL

#5 Jun 24, 2008
Willie, go away!
No mainlander will tell any of us in the Hawaiian Islands anything.Maybe K-Mart is hiring there?
Chuck

Prescott, AZ

#7 Jun 24, 2008
dargent77 wrote:
Willie, go away!
No mainlander will tell any of us in the Hawaiian Islands anything.Maybe K-Mart is hiring there?
So much for the Aloha spirit. Ouch!
gimme a break

Ewa Beach, HI

#8 Jun 24, 2008
You guys need to look a bit beyond your noses and remember that besides the huge white ugly windmills overlooking Maalaea, that HC&S uses the sugar cane bagasse fiber for renewable energy production on Maui. Yes renewable as in 'green', as in not oil based, as in clean energy (well maybe not). Sometimes coal is used to supplement that - and wasn't coal green once? So quit your whining and be happy that the lights come on when you flip the switch. As one of the last suviving sugar mills in Hawaii, I would think that Mauians would willing to do anything to preserve and keep it going - for the jobs provided and for the energy provided. They could just as easily produce biofuels from the sugar cane with modofications to the factory. Now wouldn't that be sweet?
Lia

Baltimore, MD

#9 Jun 24, 2008
dargent77 wrote:
Willie, go away!
Yeah! Don't all of you know that there are no people of Hawaiian ancestry living on the mainland? And didn't you know that when local people go on vacation to the mainland they never log onto a computer to check what's going on back at home?

A mainland ISP does NOT mean the person writing is completely ignorant of all things Hawaii.

“I care. Those who can, teach”

Since: Apr 08

Honolulu

#10 Jun 24, 2008
Mahalo Pila for a well-thought-out response to a not-so-well-thought-out letter regarding the first language of our Island home.

I recall the night when the State Board of Education voted to approve the DOE's immersion program through grade twelve, instead of a year at a time.

It was one of the most exciting decisions of any government body in Hawai`i in my lifetime.

And, I seem to recall that they made that monumental decision in part because Hawaiian language immersion students tested higher in English fluency than did those students who were in regular DOE classrooms and not being afforded study in the Hawaiian language.

Learning two "first" languages simultaneously, was a plus -- for all concerned.

I also recall attending the first high school graduation for students who had been educated in the immersion program and how the graduating seniors sounded so much like valedictorians of any other school. They had the same aspirations and plans for their future as other high school seniors, only they expressed it so eloquently in Hawaiian.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone in Hawai`i could do that?

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
willie

Farmington, MI

#11 Jun 24, 2008
Lia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah! Don't all of you know that there are no people of Hawaiian ancestry living on the mainland? And didn't you know that when local people go on vacation to the mainland they never log onto a computer to check what's going on back at home?
A mainland ISP does NOT mean the person writing is completely ignorant of all things Hawaii.
Thanks Lia. Dargent is just mad because he used to live in Detroit at one time and I said his leaving was probably the best thing that has happened to that city in a long time.

At any rate, his rants do not bother me, I am much too mellow for that.

Have a great day.
Chuck

Prescott, AZ

#13 Jun 24, 2008
Your remarks are so out of place they are laughable. It's obvious that you have the mentality of a grapfruit, or in your case, a pineapple. Two things: Take your meds and don't get behind the wheel anytime soon.
JKai

Kailua, HI

#14 Jun 24, 2008
I'm against the rail but this guy in Kailua has it all wrong. The reason against rail is that it not going to help anyone but the mayor and union bigwigs and cost all of us a lot of money.

If I thought it would really help the people of the leeward coast, I'd be all for it. That's what taxes are for, to support our infrastructure. Hawaii just seems far worse it than most places.

As far as choosing unemployment over a commute and traffic, those people don't do that for fun, they do it to feed their families and pay rent. Please oppose rail because it's a poorly thought out, obscenely expensive boondoogle that will break our already overburdened tax base, not because you're a selfish jerk.
macuu222

Kamuela, HI

#15 Jun 24, 2008
"Available bus maps would boost ridership"

I don't think the Bus "needs" to boost ridership. I noticed that more people flying to Hawaii are taking the bus from the Airport to their hotel now that the airlines are charging for luggage. People are flying with no baggage and taking advantage of a $4.00 roundtrip instead of a $80.00 taxicab.
manini

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jun 24, 2008
It would be my guess that Rena Blumberg recently moved next door to a working plantation and now wants to change their harvesting practices. Rena, you should have done due dilligence before you bought or rented. That "black snow" is money for our economy. I live in Haleiwa and we used to have a plantation, Wailua Sugar Co. Now they've closed and many of the businesses that provided services to the plantation are also closed. Now our town is an over priced tourist trap instead of a working community. I liked it better the old way. And Rena, you too will some day figure out the old way was better.
Moa Kaka

Honolulu, HI

#17 Jun 24, 2008
Sugar cane is a very thirsty crop. It needs bright hot weather, and it also needs LOTS of water. That's a bad combination. I support local agriculture, but that should not include sugar cane. Every island has problems with adequate fresh water supplies and changing climate resulting in more drought years. If the sugar industry, for example, recycled wastewater into R1 or R2 water and used that to irrigate the fields, then people like me couldn't complain. But they don't. They use drinking water.
Newtowner

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jun 24, 2008
In response to D.M. Jahn Kailua.
The benefit to Kailua residents that you seem to not understand, is that the second city channels urban development to the southwest side of Oahu. The benefit to those that do not live in the area to be serviced by rail is that their areas will remain rural well into the future. Your tax dollars are prolonging your way of life by channeling urban development away from Kailua.
willie

Farmington, MI

#19 Jun 24, 2008
Moa Kaka wrote:
Sugar cane is a very thirsty crop. It needs bright hot weather, and it also needs LOTS of water. That's a bad combination. I support local agriculture, but that should not include sugar cane. Every island has problems with adequate fresh water supplies and changing climate resulting in more drought years. If the sugar industry, for example, recycled wastewater into R1 or R2 water and used that to irrigate the fields, then people like me couldn't complain. But they don't. They use drinking water.
Just think, if they were not using drinking water then they could build thousands and thousands of new condos on ths sugar cane land...would that be better than a little smoke now and then?
dargent77

Nashville, TN

#20 Jun 24, 2008
Chuck: another imbicile from the mainland instructing Hawaiians how to live.
Go away!
Leroy

Camarillo, CA

#21 Jun 24, 2008
Longevity? Jay T might learn from one Chinese named Ling Fat Chow-we, who lives in the village of Xingwu with his wife and nine adult children and fourteen grandchildren and seven, thus far, great-greatgrandchildren. Ling is a hundred and nine years old nextbirthday. He claims that the key to long life is to start the day with a glass of Three Gorges Plum Brandy, a homemade cigar, and a romp in the hay with number three daughter-in-law. Ling kind of loses track of what he does in the afternoon, but we're told he spends it smoking those cigars, eating stewed weeds and fried frogs, dallying with his daughters-in-law, drinking more plum brandy and throwing rocks at the chickens. Well, he's a hundred and nine! How old are you? Me? And where do I get some of that Three Gorges Plum Brandy, um?
Kulafan

Kula, HI

#22 Jun 24, 2008
It's always a person from Kihei who complains about cane fires. I don't know what the big deal is. At night he fire is beautiful from Kula!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine... 3
•••
•••
Kihei Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kihei Jobs

•••