Hawaii libraries face challenges ahead

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

A California partnership is moving ahead with plans to develop a nearly 1,000-home subdivision in south-central Maui despite opposition from the County Department of Planning and some nearby residents.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Dec 19, 2007
Willie

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Will the Super Ferry protesters get involved in stopping this real threat or stay the course on stopping the boat from hades?

“A Maui Homeowner”

Since: Nov 07

Kula, Maui

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

The County "isn't fair"? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read this week. Kikuchi must be a real nimrod. This development will dump cars from 1,000 homes out onto a section of two-lane road that's already gridlocked for four hours in the morning and four hours in the afternoon. Each house had better come standard with a helicopter and landing pad or the future residents will never get out of their neighborhood during daylight hours.

Now THAT's unfair.
mauigirl

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Go ahead and destroy more of the island with overpriced housing. With less than half of the houses "affordable" (what under 500,000 affordable?), what benefit is this development. We will get to enjoy more traffic and more rich mainlanders further inflating the housing market here. Why don't they just take all the locals and pile them in one little corner of a beach and bulldoze the rest of the island for the mainlanders.
JUST SAY NO

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

seems that we cant, and people with the bucks, do not understand the word, NO anymore.
or is it that Charlie Jenks will get another job with this group

not fair to Charlie? not fair to the people who will suffer with traffic, crime, high unemployment,

and what will be the affordable 300 homes????$750,000 in 5 years, right.

time to stop NOW

DONT ASK WHY. MOLOKAI
old gray dog

Clinton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Mauigirl and Maui homeowner, you right on! One thousand plus mainlanders who want a piece of paradise so they can make it look like where they came from. You no get their piece of the rock before it's destroyed!

eMH

“chicken nut bread”

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

I grew up in Maui (Baldwin grad) and its suprising how much development has popped up in the past 10 years or so. I mean, Krispy Kreme is in your face right after you leave the airport.

They should develop some area south of Hana. Let's see how many people move there.
Kapaa

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Hey Maui,Just ask Lingel.She was your Mayor.She is wrapped around the development of Maui and the whole state.Good Luck!!!
Former Islander

Lynwood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

I'd be curious to know how much of the 380 units of so-called affordable housing will be purchased by locals versus mainlanders. The County must negotiate to the advantage of Islanders/locals.
Kapaa

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Willie wrote:
Will the Super Ferry protesters get involved in stopping this real threat or stay the course on stopping the boat from hades?
The whole State owes a debt of thanks to all the water protesters on Kauai.We opened the eyes of the world to our state corruption.
Kapaa

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

dudealohajoe wrote:
The bad ting is the Maui water supply cannot support the planned population growth. The recent drought they had revealed just how precarious a situation the Mauians are living in right now. Just a heads up for the urban planners in the Maui wowie govt.
NOBODY CARES!!!!!!
STOP THE MADNESS

Lawai, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

If you really want a taste of what this insane project will do, come over here to Oahu and take a look at Ewa By Gentry OMG insane. Looks just like the Mainland. I moved from Maui in 84, and the traffic was Horrid back then. Fight this one Maui Folks, forget the Super Ferry.
John Locke

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Quote:
'The developer in its environmental statement said the Ma'alaea Mauka site is rated prime agricultural land.'

The government needs to encourage agriculture companies to come back to Hawaii through tax credits. It would be a boon for the company (especially high yields with consistent growing season) and the communities (tax revenues). It would create a sustainable community. A responsible economist would under the importance of supporting the large food market and maintaining Hawaii's eco-tourism.

We'd all much rather see fields of cereal compared to rows of elite houses.
Willie

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

dudealohajoe wrote:
The bad ting is the Maui water supply cannot support the planned population growth. The recent drought they had revealed just how precarious a situation the Mauians are living in right now. Just a heads up for the urban planners in the Maui wowie govt.
Well actually it can if they would just begin using the treated waste water for irrigation and free up the drinking water they currently use to make the golf courses green....but I still say Maui does not need more houses...this is insane.

As to keeping it AG land, figure out a way to compete with 3rd world wages then you can grow sugar or pineapple and make a profit.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Kapaa wrote:
<quoted text>The whole State owes a debt of thanks to all the water protesters on Kauai.We opened the eyes of the world to our state corruption.
Obviously you've never done business in Hawaii, Willy. Had you done so over the past 30 or 40 years the idea that the state is corrupt would be more a statement of fact than the awakening of a new born babe, a born again Christian, or a rabid ex-smoker. Sigh! I wish I were on the cutting edge of exposing all thats wrong with the world again.
Brandon Tate

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

old gray dog wrote:
Mauigirl and Maui homeowner, you right on! One thousand plus mainlanders who want a piece of paradise so they can make it look like where they came from. You no get their piece of the rock before it's destroyed!
They have the opportunity to live there just like you do. Equal for all. Give up the childish "I'm here first" rhetoric.
Hmmm

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

If you have been to Maui recently, you can't help but notice the wealthy residents there (check out their sprawling large property and huge houses. Seems like they are trying to keep up with Oahu. Unfortunately, the Malibu crowd moved in and bought their land and big houses a long time ago. How sad. Residents of Maui, stop the development! Once you give in to this, it will be too late.

eMH

“chicken nut bread”

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

More like a glimpse of Maui's past. Lots of hippies moved to Kihei/Makena in the 60's and lived natural duuuuude.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kihei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine... 3

Search the Kihei Forum:
•••
•••
Kihei Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kihei Jobs